Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Eastern Market to Open on Tuesdays thru September

Eastern Market's going to open on Tuesday from 11-7. It starts today through Sept. 27. The article has a link showing the vendors who'll be there on Tuesdays. I guess I can run by on my lunch break.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/07/...ting-schedule/

It's nice that more people are going to EM, but it's almost getting too crowded on Saturdays. This past Saturday we got halfway through the sheds and decided to turn around and head back because we could barely move.

I may stop by EM next Tuesday and skip Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Eastern Market's going to open on Tuesday from 11-7. It starts today through Sept. 27. The article has a link showing the vendors who'll be there on Tuesdays. I guess I can run by on my lunch break.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/07/...ting-schedule/
    While you're there stop over to Bert's for one of their fantastic $5.99 Lunch Specials.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    It's nice that more people are going to EM, but it's almost getting too crowded on Saturdays. This past Saturday we got halfway through the sheds and decided to turn around and head back because we could barely move.

I may stop by EM next Tuesday and skip Saturday.
    Yes this has been an unfortunate issue with the market lately. With the addition of my stroller bound child the isles are nearly impassable. The only thing I wish they would get rid of are the stands right outside each of the shed doors along with the enterainers there. It really binds up traffic in out out of the sheds. But I guess being crowded is a good thing!

I didn't get a chance to stop, but drove by on Russell yesterday around 3pm. It looked like they had a decent crowd, good enough to sustain Tuesday business, but not overwhelming like on Saturdays. I actually did see some empty parking slots in that lot on Russell & Fisher.
    Last edited by jackie5275; July-13-11 at 10:01 AM. Reason: add more info

this makes me very happy!! i would love to be able to hit this up at lunch or on my way home after work instead of making a seperate trip on saturdays...

I had a chance to stop in at EM earlier this afternoon. I was really surprised how crowded it was considering the newness of it opening on Tuesday and the hot weather. There was really a festive atmosphere

The one negative was the lack of vendors selling fruits and vegtables. You obviously aren't going to have the same selection as on a Saturday, but we couldn't even find anyone who was selling bananas or apples. Hopefully the number of vendors will incrase because it certainly looks like there will be enough people on Tuesdays to make it worth their time.
    Last edited by rjk; July-19-11 at 12:19 PM.

Apples are out of seaon. If you found any, they'd be crappy ones that have been siting in a warehouse for almost a year.

Bananas aren't grown in midwestern farms.

Peaches, plums, apricots, raspberries, and blueberries are [[roughly) in seaon.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmyers View Post
    Apples are out of seaon. If you found any, they'd be crappy ones that have been siting in a warehouse for almost a year.

Bananas aren't grown in midwestern farms.

Peaches, plums, apricots, raspberries, and blueberries are [[roughly) in seaon.
    They sell quality apples and bananas on Saturday. I understand that something like bananas aren't grown in michigan. To me it's about doing all my veg/fruit shopping at one place.
    I'd rather not go to a EM and just buy Michigan products and then have to go to a store and buy things that are grown elsewhere in the country/world.

I know. I'm just suggesting that apples are not a great thing to put on your menu this time of year [[but peaches are absolutely horrible in February, when you can still find decent apples).

Their might be year-old apples on Saturday, but they don't compare to the apples you get in a few months!

It is amazing how much we [[me included) have forgotten how food is seasonal, and we often get sub-standard and expensive stuff because we don't pay attention.

Not correct about local apples: Greening apples come in in July from nearby orchards. They are young, green apples and wonderful for pie. Many people freeze quantities for autumn apple pies.The Ontario-Kingsville-Leamingtom farmers have them in their stalls in eastern Market.