Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New advertising pop=up.....pain in the ass!!!!

Well, I see that Lowell has accepted new advertising where random words appear in red. Click on one of thse red words and it takes you to an advertising web site for a pop-up web site. Alas, it is not like the 'blue' wording that will take you to a www link.

I know Lowell pays a bundle for all the goodies us DetroitYes folks are accustomed to, so I'll take it with a grain of salt The funny thing is it has also appeared on two other blogs I frequent. They must have done a helluva lot of digging to get blog webmeisters to sign up with this, uh, "feature".

Lowell, what say you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Well, I see that Lowell has accepted new advertising where random words appear in red. Click on one of thse red words and it takes you to an advertising web site for a pop-up web site. Alas, it is not like the 'blue' wording that will take you to a www link.
    I'm pretty sure you're referring to the ultra annoying vibrant text advertising.

Check this link to learn how to disable:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5184044_remove-vibrant-ads.html

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not seeing anything like that.

Roq, you're a genius. It works just fine. Thank you so much.

Once again, open mouth, insert foot.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Ditto.I havent noticed any ads or pop ups. Thankfully.

Me neither........
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Once again, open mouth, insert foot.
    No, no, no. If you never ask, we never learn. Others only lurking here might learn how to solve the same problem thanks to your question.

Since no one here is seeing those symptoms [[me neither) and you're seeing them on other websites too, you might consider doing some security scans in case you've been compromised in a way that might create problems other than this one that you have fixed.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-11-11 at 09:41 PM.

The only ads run up in here are the Google ads. I hate popup ads too Ray. I agree with Jimaz, who may know more than anybody about such things here, and sorry Ray it sounds like you may have been compromised. Perhaps you could post a screen snap of what they look like so can see how they appear and help track down a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The only ads run up in here are the Google ads. I hate popup ads too Ray. I agree with Jimaz, who may know more than anybody about such things here, and sorry Ray it sounds like you may have been compromised. Perhaps you could post a screen snap of what they look like so can see how they appear and help track down a solution.
    Well, I thought I had it solved with the tools bar help, but I guess not. Here's an example on the DetroitYES header. Notice the word in red for no reason at all:
    Then if my cursor touches it, here's the pop up that appears.

Maybe this would help?: [SOLVED] how can i Removing excessive ads from Living Play entertainment

MS Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab > Manage add-ons might get you to a safe harbor.

I'd still recommend running some additional security scans just in case.

Ray, have you tried using the vB4 default style ? All the way down on the bottom left of the page. I started using it when I used to have have dial up, and the blue style was slow to load. You won't see any ads though - but less chance of an accidental click.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I just ran a full Norton scan and it deleted some shit, and the red links no longer appear.

Damn. Always something, ain't it?

That's great. Others searching for a solution will find it here.

Every time advertisers discover a promising technology they abuse it until they drive away everyone they wanted to attract. LOL! There needs to be a Darwin Award for advertising.

Advertising. Jeez. It's bad enough on the web, with all the pop-ups for zedo.com and netflix and the like, but I was watching a movie on American Classics last night and was bugged by all the ads. I got a stopwatch out of curiosity, and timed the longest spred of advertisements at seven minutes 15 second before the movie came back on. Now, that's just ridiculous, ain't it?

Remember when Cable started? We pay for it, so there wouldn't be any commercials? Ha ha ha.