Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Storm Damages David Whitney Building

Just saw this as I was coming home from work. The west side of the top of the facade was blown out. Looks like RAM Construction is on the scene. Bricks and other debris on the sidewalk on Washington Blvd below.

Sorry the picture blows...my camera sucks ass.

Also, trees have fallen in GCP damaging exit cage.Name:  IMG00313-20110711-1724.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  45.2 KB
    Last edited by Planner3357; July-11-11 at 04:37 PM.

Name:  Screen shot 2011-07-11 at 6.04.18 PM.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  34.9 KB pic i took

Hmmm...what building do you live in?

Now they have Park blocked off. Bricks all over the People Mover tracks...so it's shut down.

A "before" screenshot from Google Street View:

That looks like a lot of material. Was anyone hurt?

looks like shot from the kales building

That's pretty damn substantial. Imagine witnessing that come down.

It was quite a storm - the winds would have been head-on to that face. I watched it roll into downtown yesterday - it was very impressive. I'm going to see if I can walk over there and snap a few pics. Here's the release for the DPM from just an hour ago [[had run a shuttle earlier today that went from Times Square to Broadway, no trains near DW building):

MEDIA ADVISORY
    PEOPLE MOVER CLOSES TO ALLOW FOR WORK AT THE WHITNEY BUILDING
    [[07-12-2011) – DETROIT, Mich. – To allow for the clearing of debris on the upper levels of the David Whitney Building, the Detroit Transportation Corporation has closed the Detroit People Mover this afternoon. The People Mover operated a two-train shuttle service from 6:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. this morning.
    As a safety precaution, the system is not expected to reopen remainder of the day to allow building management to complete stabilization and removal in proximity of the Grand Circus Park Station and guideway. Station windows required repair as mortar fell from the building as a result of yesterday’s storm.