Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit movie scenes in “Kill the Irishman”

Can't believe that "Kill the Irishman" didn't get more press here. It was
    totally Detroit, even though it was supposed to be Cleveland. Butcher's Inn, Cliff Bells, Roma Cafe, Old St. John's Church, Fuch's Incense, houses in Corktown and near Midtown. It was so fun to watch just to pick out the landmarks.

The building on Winder at Orleans. I wonder if it the scenes in side were the actual building. The parking lot of the Michigan Theater. I guess if it's a low budget, independent film, the media doesn't get excited. But robots and huge destruction, wow. I know mobster films only attract a certain audience too, but, this one was worth the scenery.

I just watched that movie on DVD, and I had no idea it was all filmed around here. I'm usually pretty good about watching the credits and finding out the locations like "You don't know Jack".
    Good true story though.

I just looked at Box Office Mojo and it made just over $1,870,000 total.

It opened in 5 theaters and in its peak week it played in 56 theaters.

Did it even show up in any of the theaters around here?

This looks pretty good. I never heard of it, but being a fan of mob-type movies, I'm gonna need to look this one up. Detroit scenes will be a bonus. Thanks for the heads up!

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2zN53Vwnz0

Oh wow. I stumbled across this Cleveland organized crime story on Netflix last night. I wondered if it had surface here and, of course, it had in 2011.

Ironically, it is by far the most Detroit-set film I've ever seen. It is absolutely loaded end-to-end with Detroit scenes, likely taking advantage of the then generous Michigan film incentives. Beyond the sites listed by the OP above are...

Several scenes are set at the house at 3136 Park Ave., which is across from the then derelict Scott Mansion.

There is a action scene at Livingston lighthouse on Belle Isle.

The main character's girlfriend lives in a loft at 1568 Winder St., then the site of the Johansson gallery, across from what is now the Red Bull Gallery.

There are numerous scenes in and views of nearby Eastern market including the Halal butchery around corner from the Winder street loft.

The main character works out in seedy Cass Park.

Nicholson marine terminal appears in the dock settings.

Many scenes take place in the now Ilitchville parking lot empire with views of the Blenheim, Moose Lodge, Michigan Theater Building, Women's Club, and the now demolished Charlevoix building and Vermont Hotel.

There is also a scene along Michigan Ave. with fans exiting Tiger Stadium.

The movie itself? Meh. 2-3 stars out of five but plenty of action if you like that. It has a lot of interesting Cleveland mob history. A good popcorn movie and you'll love playing spot-the-Detroit-scenery.

And... You will notice that 3136 Park Ave., shown here from Google Street View, has changed little.
    Name:  3136-Park-Ave.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  48.3 KB

Attachment not valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    And... You will notice that 3136 Park Ave., shown here from Google Street View, has changed little.
    Attachment 41625

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Attachment not valid.
    Thanks for noting. Fixed.

When this was being filmed, in my neighborhood, the whole area was out and about and enjoying the excitement. I was disappointed that the film was never mentioned when other films with Detroit scenes were. This movie had way more action filmed in Detroit and Vincent D'Onofrio was
    friendly and accessable to all.

D'Onofrio is as real as the get. Follow him on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    When this was being filmed, in my neighborhood, the whole area was out and about and enjoying the excitement. I was disappointed that the film was never mentioned when other films with Detroit scenes were. This movie had way more action filmed in Detroit and Vincent D'Onofrio was
    friendly and accessable to all.

An aside.....don't use the word, "kill", on Facebook. I quoted Shakespeare on his line, "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" on that forum and got put in the 24-hour Facebook jail. [[Henry VI). Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    An aside.....don't use the word, "kill", on Facebook. I quoted Shakespeare on his line, "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" on that forum and got put in the 24-hour Facebook jail. [[Henry VI). Just sayin'.
    The same thing happened to me when I wrote "shoot" on Facebook over 6 months ago. I'm still in the Facebook doghouse.
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; August-19-21 at 03:09 PM.

Well shoot, what a bunch of killjoys the AI’s on Facebook have become. I got a weird message objecting my liking a post the other day but it carried a checkbox asking if I wanted to protest the decision. I checked the box, the message went away, and my like remained. There was nothing controversial about the post I liked. I’m guessing it is some sort of testing of FB’s AI’s. Anybody else have that?

Not me. Don't go no where's near Zuckerbook.

^ Yeah I have a FBook but keep it very light: flowers, trees, nature photos I take, a few 'safe' [for now] quotations, and a few family photos. Even fewer messages. I ditched my FB app on my mobile long ago.

I also monitor what I up-vote or agree to within the FB empire. Too controlling and capricious in their censorship, and opinion management.

Alas, their initial censoring seemed so 'reasonable' and approved... yet the goal post of said censoring is ever-changing, and ever-expanding.

No surprise there [to me].
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-19-21 at 05:10 PM.

Awesome actor! Who else could have played Pvt. Leonard so well in Krubric's Full Metal Jacket?

Last edited by Zacha341; August-20-21 at 08:37 AM.

One of our finest actors IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Well shoot, what a bunch of killjoys the AI’s on Facebook have become. I got a weird message objecting my liking a post the other day but it carried a checkbox asking if I wanted to protest the decision. I checked the box, the message went away, and my like remained. There was nothing controversial about the post I liked. I’m guessing it is some sort of testing of FB’s AI’s. Anybody else have that?
    I sell a lot on their marketplace and listed a commercial beer keg cooler,and got flagged for,promoting the sale of alcohol.

The things people get flagged for have no rhyme or reason,it is also like a lot of other sites where people flag posts simply because they do not like what you say,it’s how they interpreted it in their mind.

Anything can be twisted into controversy.

What worries me even more though is,have a conversation on the phone and next time you log on your feed,it is filled with the subject matter of the phone conversation in sales items.

I do not like that whole AÍ thing because it has a tendency to point you in the direction that you support verses sending you somewhere in order to have a different viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Not me. Don't go no where's near Zuckerbook.
    Me neither...

You can't say the term "Irishman" anymore, just like you can't say Chinaman. They are both considered a form of hate speech and using them could lead to imprisonment. It's "Irishperson".

^ Yikes! No more 'pregnant woman' either [pregnant person is now preferred by some]. I'm trying my best to keep up as the new scriptures and commandments go forth.

Damn you [to the new approved hell], eh' if you slip up...........
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-21-21 at 12:25 AM.

Here's IMDB's info and review of the movie:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1416801/
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-20-21 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    You can't say the term "Irishman" anymore, just like you can't say Chinaman. They are both considered a form of hate speech and using them could lead to imprisonment. It's "Irishperson".
    I found a surprising number of google results showing a surprising number of derogatory terms for the Irish and not one of them listed "Irishman" as a derogatory insult.

Are you withholding some source that would support that claim?

Jimaz, c'mon now. That was satire in service of a lie disguised as satire. Same as his Belle Isle post.
    A right wing tactic as ever there was, disinformation cloaked in free speech.
    Usually only their devotees are fooled.
    Last edited by bust; August-20-21 at 07:26 PM.

^ cool - so chink - jap -nips- wop etc is still okay to say?

And it is not considered racist to name a virus from its original point of origin,like every other one?

Glad an expert cleared that one up.

I was just getting used to being able to use the woman’s restroom as a man - o wait how do I know if it is actually a woman’s restroom if it has not actually had a gender reveal,and what if I am a man that identifies as a woman,can I still use the men’s room in a pinch ?

It all gets quite confusing at times.
    Last edited by Richard; August-20-21 at 11:38 PM.

^ Hah! Confusing indeed.

The rule of thumb argued [for those so inclined] is that men really don't care who comes into their toilets/ stalls!

But more than a few parents and woman remain minimally concerned about what they, their daughters/ grand-daughters may encounter in the eh, 'women's' restrooms.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-21-21 at 10:37 AM.