Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Did someone drown at Belle Isle today [[Sunday)

Having a beer at the Bronx this evening I ran into a fellow beach-goer and heard someone drown at Belle Isle. I cant ffind anything online.
    ?????

Last year when that chick drown in her burka the cops came down on all the swimmers that didnt/dont use the regular dirty diaper beach.

I hope its a false rumor but....Anyone heard anything?

My friends said they saw a teenager who wasn't able to swim well drown near the rocks east of Hipster beach. His family saw him go under and were shouting. I bet he displayed the instinctive drowning response. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instinc...wning_response Drowning doesn't look like somebody shouting for help. Their lungs are full of water so they can't.

People from Hipster Beach got in the water and tried to find him while the coast guard was called but no one could. My friend said the current was pretty strong that day and the seaweed was high.

The coast guard didn't get out of the boat apparently.

I thought it was strange it wasn't in the news as well. The day after as I was on my way there, cops were out ticketing people as they did last year. Both open intox & swimming.

I cant believe no one could asve him, its such a narrow canal, but like you said, they cany yell for help.

Why isnt this in the news? Then again ppl die every day in Detroit in worse ways but you dont see them either.

Why did the burka drowning get play last year though?

Probably best for hipster beach if it isnt made into news.
    Last edited by Django; July-11-11 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Crystal Palace

As I was being ticketed for swimming, the cop said they normally issue a warning, but because someone had just drowned, they were cracking down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    As I was being ticketed for swimming, the cop said they normally issue a warning, but because someone had just drowned, they were cracking down.
    I usually swim there every day, what time did you get ticketed and how much is the fine?

Im usually there 4-5 days out of the week for a swim, I almost got a ticket last year for swimming from cops in boats but it started to rain and the cop wanted to get back under the boats canopy so he cut me loose lol.

I did get a ticket the other day at the parking lot for not having a leash on Sarge [[house dog).

I havent been able to find anything on the drowning.

The cops will ease up soon, just like last year. They always start out hard then realize they cant stop us really. After a while they just stop by to announce that we are not supposed to be swimming, then leave.

That sucks Pam, especially if you pay them
    Last edited by Django; July-11-11 at 10:24 PM.

I witnessed an unforgettable scene on a Sunday morning on the Belle Isle beach many years ago. At one end a city church was dunker baptizing members. Further down a worried family was watching two boats with workers and poles probing for a drowned body. When the teenage body was found they broke out in wailing sobs. It teared me up too. I do not know the circumstances of the drowning.

Is this that area off that pathway going towards the light house towards lake St. Claire!? Sorta private off the beaten path? No I AM NOT INTERESTED IN SWIMMING! LOL! I don't do 'real' water swimming I only do pools with a life guard but I've been over to this somewhat secluded area and sat and watched the water [[one my favorite things to do)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Im usually there 4-5 days out of the week for a swim, I almost got a ticket last year for swimming from cops in boats but it started to rain and the cop wanted to get back under the boats canopy so he cut me loose lol.

I did get a ticket the other day at the parking lot for not having a leash on Sarge [[house dog).

I havent been able to find anything on the drowning.

The cops will ease up soon, just like last year. They always start out hard then realize they cant stop us really. After a while they just stop by to announce that we are not supposed to be swimming, then leave.

This is great, the cops are ticketing people for swimming but ignoring the loud, obnoxious people who loiter and block the roads along the island. I'd say they got their priorities backwards.

The cops told us last year that the ONLY place you can legally swim in Detroit us at the main Belle Isle beach. How the hell can someone say you cant swim in a river which runs along your citys border?

The cops told us last year that the ONLY place you can legally swim in Detroit us at the main Belle Isle beach. How the hell can someone say you cant swim in a river which runs along your citys border?
    The same way that they can tell you that you can't swim in certain parts of the lake at Stoney Creek, or that you can't drive on the wrong side of the road in your city. It's a safety issue.

It's their park and shoreline so they get to set the rules. There may be an argument in the state law that allows public passage easement along Great Lakes waterways. But do you want to take them on? They get paid while harassing you and you have the take the time and expense of fighting them.

They mainly dislike people congregating and ultimately drinking, partying, messing up the place etc. assuming, often unfortunately correctly so, something bad will eventually happen. However if you decide to jump into the river at any point, I doubt if you will be disturbed. For years I have used the nice little Sandy southside beach enclosed by the fishing pier just west of the Coast Guard station. The willow trees and banks obscure you from eyes from the road.

Look again, that was my typo twin pCm posting.
    [[For the record, I don't go swimming at BI or anywhere else. )