Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cop That Crashed and Burned Was Fried.

Last Updated: July 09. 2011 8:52PM
    Detroit cop injured in fiery crash on I-96 was drunk, police chief says
    The Detroit News

Detroit — A Detroit police sergeant pulled from his smoldering cruiser early Thursday morning on Interstate 96 moments before the crashed car burst into flames was under the influence of alcohol and a controlled substance, the city's police chief said Saturday night.

Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee Jr. said a preliminary investigation revealed that during the sergeant's shift, which began at midnight on July 7, several attempts were made by the zone dispatcher to contact him. All of the attempts went unanswered.

At 4 a.m. the sergeant was driving a marked scout car when he was involved in a vehicular accident on the eastbound I-96 near Martin Luther King Boulevard. The freeway was closed for about three hours following the crash.

The officer was taken to a local hospital, treated, and released.

Godbee said that at the time of the accident the sergeant was under the influence of alcohol and tested positive for a controlled substance.

"I am disheartened that a member of the Detroit Police Department holding a supervisory rank, who has been sworn to protect and serve; and to display the highest level of professionalism, would endanger the lives of others as well as his own," Godbee said in a statement .

The chief said he has ordered the sergeant be immediately suspended without pay.

"Alleged conduct of this nature will lead me to seek dismissal of the sergeant from the Detroit Police Department," Godbee said. "I owe that to the citizens of Detroit and the thousands of Detroit Police Department members who serve this city with honor and integrity."

A Good Samaritans pulled the sergeant from his smoldering cruiser before it burst into flames.

Motorist Wally Senkow, 56, of Steinback, Manitoba, left his tractor-trailer truck to assist in the rescue at about 4:30 a.m. He saw the officer inside and strained to open the driver's door.

"I couldn't get it to budge," Senkow said. "Luckily, there was another younger man nearby, and he really banged on that door to get the officer out."

Michigan State Police officials with the Detroit Post said the crash involved another vehicle.

Senkow said he at first didn't want to pull the sergeant from the car, but thought the car was going to explode.

"It was smoking heavily when we got him out," Snekow said. "We knew it was just a matter of time."

The car burst into flames a few minutes after the officer was helped out of the vehicle.

Senkow said the man was disoriented and didn't seem to know what was going on.

"He asked what happened," Senkow said. "He had no recollection of anything."

http://detnews.com/article/20110709/...ice-chief-says

Obviously not from the Charles Pugh school of driving.

Godbee said that at the time of the accident the sergeant was under the influence of alcohol and tested positive for a controlled substance.
    Curious. Which controlled substance? If he tested positive then surely they know what it was. What could possibly be gained by withholding that particular information from the press?

Danger, heroics, collaborative rescue of a victim/villain, fall from grace: all elements of a good story.

Im glad he waas able to be dragged out and I feel for what hes going to be going through. He could have easily killed someone while under the influence and thank God he didnt. Substance abuse does not discriminate. I know an ex DPD officer who now lives in the Corridor, Peterboro X 3rd, hes cracked out skinny as a twig. and will tell you the same about drug aabuse. He had a decent life going but one day decided to try a line of cocaine. This all happened no doubt during the 80s epidemic. He will be crucified.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Im glad he waas able to be dragged out and I feel for what hes going to be going through. He could have easily killed someone while under the influence and thank God he didnt. Substance abuse does not discriminate. I know an ex DPD officer who now lives in the Corridor, Peterboro X 3rd, hes cracked out skinny as a twig. and will tell you the same about drug aabuse. He had a decent life going but one day decided to try a line of cocaine. This all happened no doubt during the 80s epidemic. He will be crucified.

Just couldn't help it. I saw this pic the other day and had to use it somewhere.
    Last edited by Vox; July-09-11 at 10:19 PM.

Awesome thread title. Shorten it somehow and it could be a newspaper headline:

Smashed Cop Crashed, Burned

I think he owes us a police car because the city insures itself.

He was drunk and tested positive for pot...

Motorist Wally Senkow, 56, of Steinback, Manitoba,
    Welcome to Motown.

You'd almost think it was a typo; Fried or fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    I think he owes us a police car because the city insures itself.
    At the very least he owes us that!