Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Globe Trading building?

Any word on what will be done with the side of the Globe building that will front the Dequindre Cut to RiverWalk connection?

While jogging by the Globe Building yesterday I noticed that the patches of ground on the east and north sides had been leveled, and most surprisingly, the large door on the west side was securely boarded up. For now, the Globe is sealed up.

There is a sign somewhere nearby with a picture of the proposed project.

It was going to be turned into condos. I wouldn't expect anything to happen in the near future with the dismal real estate market. Banks are not willing to loan any money for new condo developments.

I thought the ground floor was at least in part going to be turned into a welcome center and information place for the Riverwalk and Dequindre Cut, and to showcase the old history of the industry and shipbuilding yard there. Has that been stopped, too?

Rocko, the DNR has discussed possibly leasing space at the Globe Building for those purposes. but they would likely not be involved in its redevelopment.