Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Is this Bing's "huge" announcement?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2011110708020

Should be an interesting Monday.

If it really is significant and helps Detroit, it will save Bing's political career and doom Obama's.

If all they're doing is embedding federal officials at CAYMC, I seriously doubt it will save Mayor Bing's career nor will it doom President Obama's.

Of course, the part of me that is conspiracy minded wonders if any of these "federal officials" will in fact be undercover FBI agents.

The feds are coming to save the city? I expected Bing's big announcement to be underwelming, but this is REALLY underwelming.

This is nothing but Obama trying to shore up the urban vote for the 2012 election. It would be nicer if he was trying to shore up the urban vote by dumping money on the city and not sending bureaucrats.

The article states that reps from federal agencies will be sent to Detroit to improve efficiency.
    Ha ha, that's funny.

Hah! Money is short [[debt ceiling breaching in case you had not heard - smile). Why send money when you can send rhetoric instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    The feds are coming to save the city? I expected Bing's big announcement to be underwelming, but this is REALLY underwelming.

This is nothing but Obama trying to shore up the urban vote for the 2012 election. It would be nicer if he was trying to shore up the urban vote by dumping money on the city and not sending bureaucrats.

The article states that reps from federal agencies will be sent to Detroit to improve efficiency.
    Ha ha, that's funny.

Advisers from the federal government? Fantastic!

If it's one thing federal agencies are known for, it's financial austerity and efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Advisers from the federal government? Fantastic!

If it's one thing federal agencies are known for, it's financial austerity and efficiency.
    At least their tossing the waste and inefficiency towards us, and not California, New York or Texas. I'm always surprised when the feds even notice Detroit exists. Its heartwarming to me.

It can't be a vote fishing move because Detroit will vote for Obama whatever. Maybe it's part of a scheme to quietly transfer funds to a chosen few cities without publicizing it. And while we know one, why are the other three to five cities not named? "Four to Six" cities is a peculiar way to announce it. Does it mean that some qualifying cities might or might not get it? Depending on what, and what are the qualifying factors for the choices?
    Last edited by coracle; July-09-11 at 03:44 PM.

If the government really want to help cities it could decentralize from Washington and move all it's major Departments and Offices into currently depressed cities. Move all the staff and support businesses to the chosen cities to help them grow with a directive that the staff have to live in the city. After all we pay these workers and they should optimize their contribution.