Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default OMG! The original Futurliner on the auction block!

Your one and only chance I presume to own some piece of GM history!!

I've covered this series of amazing exhibition vehicles inhere in the past in this thread.

Note:
    The Futurliner in the picture above [[Futurliner 1) is not the one that will be auctioned, but it has been restored to immaculate state. If you read through the other thread you've noticed there was a green Futurliner that was owned by the Peter Pan bus company. This is Futurliner 7. It now is restored with it's original red and white GM colors.

See the Peter Pan Logo still on the bus.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; July-08-11 at 05:47 PM.

They should have had Scarlett Johansson escaping "The Island" in that sucker.

I still have my dad's 75th anniversery GM book. I'd be proud to put one of these in a county park.

i saw a few of those parked at a farm 20 years ago out by welland canal

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    i saw a few of those parked at a farm 20 years ago out by welland canal
    Of those one is also restored and is now in Canada. The amazing thing was that it left for Chicago at first on it's own power.

Wow, that's a good looking vehicle! They sure don't make them like that anymore.

Stromberg2

GM built locomotives, also.

Whitehouse - are you more wound up than the local group ? Calm down a little.

I keep expecting to see Mr. Natural climb out of that thing. Maybe the Futurliner was featured in an old R. Crumb comic book.

9mile&seneca Guest

why do things like that look more modern than today's crap

Anything to raise a thread about a funky futurliner. This time Futurliner #10 doing a quarter mile.....

.....reaching 28 MPH.

If no one can buy it maybe the owners of it can donate it for a huge tax break to a place like CCS [[where Harley Earl's office was situated) or to The Henry Ford where it'll be lavished and drooled upon by car geeks like me. It'd make the Oscar Meyer WeinerMobile look insignificant.

Wow!! Nice link alert! Here's a 360 degrees view from the cockpit area, I think we can call it that, from the first and only Futurliner in Europe. This one was shipped to Sweden last year. It will take a lot of effort to get this one rolling again but it has a committed owner who plans to make it a 10-year project. Sure, it looks like a wreck now but this is not only a classic truck, this is indeed a work of art.

Take a look!

Makes me wonder though. How the hell did they get that camera there??

A look on the outside.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; August-13-11 at 04:40 PM.

Is the space behind the cockpit just for storage? Or is it more of an RV? I ask because of the lack of windows.

"Futurliner #10 was one of 12 large dual-front wheeled display vehicles designed specifically for the GM Parade of Progress. The GM Parade of Progress and its crew of about 60 young men carried futuristic and inspirational exhibits to millions of people across North America from 1936 through 1956. This 1953 Futurliner, with 16-foot display doors on either side, was a perfect platform for static exhibits and live demonstrations of emerging technology."

- from http://www.futurliner.org/video.htm