Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The abanded ruins of Detroit

Comin out to Detroit around June 20th-for the first time-

Im a photographer in the process of doing abandonded factories around the world.

Will do the commercial tour of the old grand ruins, but am looking for someone who knows Detroit, and is willing to give a private tour of the old decaying architectural man made monuments.

Anyone interested ?
    Bruce

Just follow the lead of EVERY journalist who's been in town in the past 6 months.

good thing you are photographer 'cause you sure do not know how to spell

2blocksaway Guest

Don't.

Just stop it.

Do something original.

No more ruin pictures. Please.

Take pictures of nice homes. Take pictures of unique yard art. Take pictures of the Dequindre cut. Take pictures of the riverfront. Take pictures of community gardens. Take pictures of anything but ruins and for gods sake no more train station pictures!!!!!!

Photos of "nice things" don't sell.

2blocksaway Guest

is there a train station or packard plant picture that hasn't already been taken?

Sludgedaddy Guest

...ask local fetching young maidens to flash their mammaries and do a photo shoot....damn, that idea has ben done before, too.

Rather than do the overdone ruins again, why not do some great photos of the fireworks during the freedom festival? That would be much more positive.

Im a photographer in the process of doing abandonded factories around the world.
    The poster states that's he is photographing factories all over the world. I'm sure many of you know what a factory looks like, and an abandoned one at that. Fireworks are not equal to a factory. The Riverfront is not equal to a factory either. The Packard and Fisher plants are though. What's positive or negative isn't exactly relevant to the discussion.

Really, it's like someone coming in and asking what skyscrapers are the best to photograph, and you suggest some farm silos out in Livingston Co.

Bruce, hopefully you find someone to accompany you for your photography project. Good luck, and hopefully you get the photos you need.
    Last edited by wolverine; May-26-09 at 01:04 AM.

Default Vince-

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    That may have been funny had you formed a sentence.

Look for a guy named Django. He rules. He can get you into all the cool spots. He even knows all the scrappers!
    How can I locate Django?

Thanks-
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bpaq View Post
    How can I locate Django?

Thanks-
    Bruce
    They say if you go into your bathroom on the night of a new moon, with 2 candles and the lights off, say his name thrice and he will appear...

Default Wolverine-

Thanks for the support. Know that people born and raised in Detroit see all the ruins daily, and are tired of them. To me they're beautiful modern day ruins. Funny....nobody complains about ancient ruins!

If you can think of any organization, or person to contact that can get me inside some of these beauties, that would be great. I'm going to contact the Historical today.

Regards-
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    The poster states that's he is photographing factories all over the world. I'm sure many of you know what a factory looks like, and an abandoned one at that. Fireworks are not equal to a factory. The Riverfront is not equal to a factory either. The Packard and Fisher plants are though. What's positive or negative isn't exactly relevant to the discussion.

Really, it's like someone coming in and asking what skyscrapers are the best to photograph, and you suggest some farm silos out in Livingston Co.

Bruce, hopefully you find someone to accompany you for your photography project. Good luck, and hopefully you get the photos you need.

Bruce,I sent you a p.m.

It is traditional to photograph abandoned factories. It would be much more original and interesting to assemble a collection of photographs of industrial buildings in Detroit that have been successful renovated for commercial uses. More so than in most other older US cities, there are very many examples of the successful restoration of non-longer used industrial buildings in Detroit.

You can look up Preservation Wayne on the net. Someone there may be more serious. Good luck and I hope you get some GREAT pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    It is traditional to photograph abandoned factories. It would be much more original and interesting to assemble a collection of photographs of industrial buildings in Detroit that have been successful renovated for commercial uses. More so than in most other older US cities, there are very many examples of the successful restoration of non-longer used industrial buildings in Detroit.
    What? Ever been to New York City or Chicago? I'd even say cities like Cleveland and Philadelphia are on par as well. There's no doubt Detroit has made an effort, but I think conversions are definitely less in number.

I agree with you that post apocalyptic photos of Detroit is getting played out and I too would support some great photography of renovated structures, but my/yours/others personal interests of what is considered art is irrelevant to the point of the thread.

2blocksaway Guest

ok. sorry i didn't read the first post right.

i guess my next question is why do you feel the need to put naked women in these vacant factories?

it seems a little low rent.

I don't know ... I think naked women spruce up just about any place.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I don't know ... I think naked women spruce up just about any place.
    Might have to agree with you

2blocksaway Guest

generally they do but a lot of photographers use them as a crutch to distract us from their lack of ability and originality.

if you want to take nudes do it and if you want to take pictures of abandoned factories do that but what is the point of mixing the two?