Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gold Cup Races July 8-10, 2011

I just heard about this this morning. I didn't see any commercials on TV. I was on Belle Isle last weekend and said to myself that the Gold Cup must not have gotten a sponsor and must not be having the race. Did they get a sponsor or is the APBA footing the bill for this race? Well, I'm glad to see it's still on. Anyone going?
    Last edited by royce; July-08-11 at 04:27 AM. Reason: addition

I have a colleague who has worked the boat races for years. He said it was looking bad for them to get a sponsor all year up until about the end of May. He had feared they wouldn't get a major sponsor & have to cancel. There was a big fundraiser that the Parade Company had which I guess helped them alot. There are other sponsors listed on the website http://www.gold-cup.com/schedule.php. I'm not going because I'll get a play by play when my colleague returns to work on Monday.

muskie1 Guest

I will be there, had to miss today, but will make it Sat. and Sun. Good cheap fun with alot more going on than just the Unlimiteds. This will make it about my 40th one, I wish more people would give it a try.

In the 1970s and 80s the Sunday of Boat Race weekend was a high holy day for us GP high school students, college students and recent college grads, etc. There was no racing on Saturday back then, so Sunday was the day. Scaffolding erected in Owen Park, a few grills, a few kegs and you had a major league party. Major hangovers on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    According to the FULL Schedule semi-hidden in this link, the F-18 jets and Bi-Planes are flying around and over the course at noon on Saturday and Sunday. I'm going to try and catch that on Saturday.

I forgot how I found out about the races. I think I was on clickondetroit.com or something. I pretty much miss it every year because I never see any publicity for it and never find out about the races until weeks after they happened. It's a shame because so many people miss out on a good time on almost perfect weather.

Here's some pictures I took from yesterday's practices.

^ I think this guy's engine went out. I wasn't at the water when it happened so I'm not sure.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; July-09-11 at 11:35 AM.

Nice pics..welcome to the Forum!

Stromberg2

You know, I've got to give Brian Perkins props for getting it together after the accident in Madison.

Here is a video I made on the last day [[Sunday)

^Very good, that was a fun watch.
    I watched a little and plan to watch the rest tonight.

muskie1 Guest

I had a great time as usual, best 15 bucks I have spent in along tiime. i even got to see a Beaver swim up to the banks of the river early Saturday morning. Good to see those critters coming back.

Always a good time. I've been at the boat race every summer of my life that I've been in Detroit. Back when I was a kid in the '60s and '70s we would wait at the beginning of every summer to hear that sound of the old V-12 engines coming up from the river, then we'd all get on our bikes and head down there every morning for the next several days to see the hydros run. My father and grandfather would tell me about the old old days of the Harmsworth Trophy races when they used to go under the bridge and all the way around Belle Isle.

It's great that despite the economic troubles, locally, nationally, and within the sport itself, and with the resulting difficulty in obtaining sponsorship, that they've been able to keep this wonderful eastside tradition going.

Congratulations to Dave Villiwock on his record-setting Gold Cup win. I know a lot of people don't necessarily like him, but it really is quite an achievement.

Might have been a different story if Steve David and the pepperoni powered U-1 was there. Bias alert...I'm a BIG Art Oberto fan......

I had a fantastic time at the races, the DYC is the place to be on those days!
    Last edited by Doma; July-12-11 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typo

I'm curious. What was the attendance like?

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I'm curious. What was the attendance like?
    The park I was at, Memorial Annex, seemed to be a little more crowded this year. The beach at Belle Isle was very empty and i did not really go to the grandstand area this year.

We usually bring our weed whackers and some shears to cut down all the weeds blocking the view but someone beat us to it this year. Only problem was no garbage cans in the park but by Sunday several were brought in.
    Last edited by muskie1; July-13-11 at 09:06 AM.

I had to re-upload the vid again , sorry here is a link.

MojoRacer Guest

Default Not the parade company!

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I have a colleague who has worked the boat races for years. He said it was looking bad for them to get a sponsor all year up until about the end of May. He had feared they wouldn't get a major sponsor & have to cancel. There was a big fundraiser that the Parade Company had which I guess helped them alot. There are other sponsors listed on the website http://www.gold-cup.com/schedule.php. I'm not going because I'll get a play by play when my colleague returns to work on Monday.
    The parade company had nothing to do with this years Gold Cup. The Detroit River Reggata Association [[DRRA) puts this event on with unpaid volunteer labor.
    The Detroit Yacht club had a fund raiser party in May that raise close to $100,000.00. There was still a huge void in the budget. A very generous individual donated the rest of the funds [[about 150K) out of his own pocket! Hopefuly a title sponsor will come onboard next year. This event is a great Detroit tradition that needs to be carried on!

DRRA volunteer