Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Forumer Histories

OK So i know that it is pretty traditional, but we do have a lot of new forumers now who have popped up since the last time we went through the rolls. But what is your personal history with the forum, and when and how did you find out about it? A lot of the stories are interesting because many of us found out about this forum completely by accident and have been hooked ever since. What are some of your forum stories?

Met Lowell on Belle Isle 2003 while stacking rocks, Thats how I remember it, Gannon soon after. Maybe Gannon was first.

As many times as Ive embarrased myself while drunk posting Ive always kept my screen name.

Hello all! My name is Chuck, I'm from Oak Park. As I recall, I made my way here to DYes while surfing the internets for a good lentin fish fry.

I don't post much, but am a big time lurker . I'm one of those types who has an interest in everything but am an expert at nothing so I don't have a lot to add to most of the topics ha ha. DYes is part of my daily travels and I really appreciate Lowell for creating it. Big fan of Django, Danny, and a few others on here a well!

My screen name "Detroittrader" is many years old, I have used it for over a decade trading Phish, Grateful Dead, Miles Davis and various other artists bootleg tapes/CD's with other collectors. [[now we just download all that stuff....lol)

Finally, another Deadhead. Did you catch many shows?

I found DYes doing an internet search on Detroit ribbon farms, trying to explain them to my grandchildren. My name on here is a modification of a screenname I used on AOL. Everyone just calls me "Blu", it's easier.

Have met many forumers...and always enjoy talking to them and learning more and more about the City of Detroit and its surrounding areas.

I guess my biggest claim to fame from DYes is getting involved with the Georgia Street Community Collective. I am so glad that I found Mark Covington and his mother and their heartfelt desire to improve their community.

I was trying to find available websites for a future business and dammit this one was taken!

Not long after I first discovered the interwebs in the late 1990s, I began playing around with a new search engine with the very silly name of Google. Through it, I found the Fabulous Ruins pictures and DetroitYes!. I lurked pretty regularly for years, but honestly, I don't remember if I ever actually signed in before about 2007? 2009? Whenever, I ultimately settled on Corn.Bot as a general-purpose screen handle and began to nickle-and-dime with comments.

Like Google only without the deep philosophical meaning [[and fame and fortune), my name sounds nonsensical but isn't. 'Corn' is because I'm an erstwhile eastside Detroiter transplanted into cornfield country. I might also say Corn pays abstract homage to the gardens growing in my former Detroit neighborhood [[*YaY* for Cub & GSCC, learned of through DYes). 'Bot' fits humorously with my given nickname as well as with [[my earned title of) Mom.

In the late '90s I attended an estate sale of a guy who was some sort of city planner. In his collection of Detroit planning stuff were an amazing trove of meeting notes, maps and drawings of the City going back to before the war. Part Of the material was a plan for a City Beautiful type parkway similar to Chicago's waterfront running from The Ambassador to Belle Isle. The guy also had filing cabinets jammed full of ancient pics of Detroit and boxes of post cards, menus, napkins and just about anything a you could ever hope to find about the City.

However, it was the last few hours of the sale and while they were discounting the stuff, I Only had a few dollars in my wallet. I ended up with part of a map of downtown from 1915, a printed piece promoting Detroit's bid for the '68 Olympics and a handful of souveniers. I've kicked myself ever since for not running to the ATM and getting more cash.

In looking for more infO on the stuff I bought I stumbled here and lurked for a number of years. At the time, the site was filled with all sorts of experts on all things Detroit and more than a few had forceful personalities. Since a few didn't suffer fools kindly I kept in the shadows. You know, being the shy type, I didn't want Rasputin to rain invectives all over my newbe skull.

It was not until hearing an NPR piece on ItsJeff did I feel comfortable enough to register.

Oh, and "gnome" was picked because it is short, refers to a Detroit product: Vernors, and is ez to remember. I like single word screen names as I have a terrible memory.

I discovered the forum when searching for pictures of Detroit buildings and such. People like Jjaba, TheRock, Ray1936, Gannon, Kathleen, and Gnome, among many others, with their wonderful memories and info, hooked me. I'm glad to say that I consider quite a few people on here as true friends! Thanks, Lowell!

Stromberg2

After a nasty break up in 1999, I found myself living in a studio on Milwaukee E of Woodward.
    This exposure of being back in a big city led me looking at homes and condos thru the area.I found the Fab Ruins site and went forward from there!My family had moved to Northern Michigan back in 1960 to run a family resort. We would visit relatives once or twice a month and go all over downtown and the surrounding area's. I must say from the 1960's/70's to the present, time has not been good to the city.
    As for the screenname,it reflects Who and What I am now that I came out!Love site and always reading!

Quote Originally Posted by surenowinlife View Post
    After a nasty break up in 1999, I found myself living in a studio on Milwaukee E of Woodward.
    This exposure of being back in a big city led me looking at homes and condos thru the area.I found the Fab Ruins site and went forward from there!My family had moved to Northern Michigan back in 1960 to run a family resort. We would visit relatives once or twice a month and go all over downtown and the surrounding area's. I must say from the 1960's/70's to the present, time has not been good to the city.
    As for the screenname,it reflects Who and What I am now that I came out!Love site and always reading!
    Not trying to be funny here but I'm assuming that means, sure now in life and not sure no win life. The second would be kind of a sad handle.

I cannot remember how long ago it was...but perhaps the Fall pledge drive at WDET in 2003, answering phones in the volunteer room...I happened to chat up the station engineer's wife as SHE called in her support. I shared my enthusiasm about the city, and she said the best place to get information on what's going on is at a place called DetroitYES.

I got all enthused when I saw the memories of Rivertown...and the rest, as they say, is history. It has been a very curious time...Detroit can be a meat-grinder of hopes and dreams. I am very happy to be a part of some progressive actions in this town.

The handle is my own name, for anyone who doesn't already know. I've never been able to do the anonymous thing very well...although I'd much rather be a wallflower in real life, most of the time!

Cheers

I'm here by way of Detroit, Oak Park, Lake Orion, Rochester, Mt. Clemens, The Navy, Mt.Clemens again, Warren, Rochester again, and Oakland Mi, close to Lakeville. But I'm an Urban dude by way of L.A. and Long Beach.

I found this spot by a link several years ago, and have been reading it ever since. It takes a Django to make this home.

It took a search to find a rock stacker who took up in a Mexican beach town to make me want to stay at home and commiserate my being.

I'm one of the "ancient ones".... and have been around since late 1998.... unlike some... I stuck with the same name.... I didn't get involved with the summer picnics however until about 4 years ago.

Unfortunately I had never met the late great DYES social director ITSJEFF, but we had often traded EMAILs over the years and I do miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Finally, another Deadhead. Did you catch many shows?
    Nope...it really sucks, I was too late for the party I never had much opinion on the Dead until I started getting the tapes, then I figured it out. I do go to any show with band members when they come around, like Phil and Friends or Ratdog. That all being said, there is nothing like some 1968 or 1977 Dead. Django, if you want to PM me with an address, I can mail you a couple complete shows to enjoy this summer....I have some extra's laying around

I found the site when I first began doing some research on Detroit as a location for an upcoming book. My interest was first piqued by firstly a cousin who used to work for Ford and then the Requiem for Detroit film. I knew I had to set something in THAT city! This resulted in my first visit in March when I met a lot of fantastic forum folk. More on the book soon. But I'm hooked!

Pretty ancient...pre-9/11...where is Rasputin?

Yeah I forgot I am one of the OG's from back in 1998-99 myself...

I found this site after viewing the Fabulous Ruins sometime around '05-'06. Did mostly lurking up until around '08 when I started posting sporadically. Been more hooked the past 2 years. This is where I get most of my local news as most folks here hear stuff before it hits the media. I've always enjoyed the posts about Detroit history. I love when Ray posts Shorpy photos.

I too, kind of stumbled onto this site with the Ruins of Detroit section around 98 or 99 and lurked around for a number of years. Around 2001 I was going through a divorce and needed something to keep my mind busy, so I finally signed on as a full time participant. My handle is pretty easy, I took the initials from my first two names, added the year of my birth and threw in Detroit for good measure.

Since then, I have chatted with many interesting people, debated with many more, and have learned much more about the city I love and call home.

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    Nope...it really sucks, I was too late for the party I never had much opinion on the Dead until I started getting the tapes, then I figured it out. I do go to any show with band members when they come around, like Phil and Friends or Ratdog. That all being said, there is nothing like some 1968 or 1977 Dead. Django, if you want to PM me with an address, I can mail you a couple complete shows to enjoy this summer....I have some extra's laying around
    That makes 3 Deadheads on DetroitYes. My story's similar to detroittrader's--didn't "get it" until '07 [[although I knew a lot of the songs). I've seen Mickey with Kimock and Molo in 07, Bobby and RatDog in 08, the Dead in 09 and Furthur last year [[in Chicago). Mickey's solo band is going to be at a festival in Wellston next month--road trip anyone??

As far as DetroitYes, I think I stumbled across the site and forum back in 01 or 02. I mostly lurk, but have gotten involved with the Georgia Street Collective on and off over the last few years--wonderful people. I've met some forumers there and at the Dally a few years ago, too. What an eclectic group! Hope to see more folks at this year's Dally.

--didn't "get it" until '07
    I still don't get it.

I've been posting since about 2005, lurked for a while before that. Can't remember how I first found the site.

I found this site from here :

http://www.................com

Sorry - there seems to be a block on here.

www.................com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast