Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Detroit memories

I think I stumbled on the site from the Detroit Ruins search on Google years ago. Must be at least eight years, I think. I check for new posts two or three times a day with great pleasure.

Me? I'm retired DPD. Came on the job as a cadet in 1955, made Patrolman, Detective, and Detective Sergeant through the years, retired in 1984. At that time my wife and I moved to Las Vegas, NV, since neither of us does winter very well. Upon arriving, I started a second career as Security Director of a local hospital, and retired for good ten years ago. We have since relocated slightly to Henderson, NV, the second largest city in Nevada [[whaddya mean, ya never heard of it? My mob guys are now looking for ya!!)

My heart is still with Detroit and Michigan. We get back often, and I had the pleasure of attending one DetroitYes get-together. I'm hoping for another at the end of next August. Stay tuned!

Found you lot through the Ruins site. My missus put me onto that while we were researching the D before our holiday. Came back on Saturday and pining already. Roll on next year. THE monicker says where I am from and where my heart lies. I moved out of London 7 years ago and now reside by the sea in Suffolk.

I found it in 2003 while surfing the net - in what was anothing boring work day in the Ren Cen. Ran around with some of the early folks to impromtu lunch meetups at delis in downtown. Hung out at Cafe de Troit often. Remember KZooexplorer and ItsJeff the most from helping get Canine to Five up and running/painting etc. Good times.

It seemed like everytime I tried to research anything about Detroit or the metro area, this site always had the best information. After about a year of lurking, I finally signed up for a user name and although I don't post much, I do check the site reguarly and enjoy reading the posts.

I got here by way of a reporter on the Detroit News about eight years ago. I read most of the News' articles on Detroit's history and wrote to him asking a question. In the course of our correspondence he directed me to this site. I take this opportunity to thank Lowell for maintaining it.

Met Lowell years ago, then when fabulous ruins popped up on-line, I pretty much followed that periodically which led to here.

Came here via SDF in 2002 about Christmastime. I remember one of the first threads I posted in was a discussion of Hudson's Christmas windows.

A family member who posts on here informed me that there was someone blowviating a lot of misinformation about Indians on here and asked me to take a look. What I found was a lot of people who really seemed interested in hearing some good teachings about this little known subject, so deeply ingrained in Detroit's history, so have been here ever since, enjoying the Detroit history, news and information about cool places to visit. My thanks to the long gone poster whose blowviations inspired my introduction to the site.

My husband Dave [[aka The Grillmaster) originally came across the Fabulous Ruins of Detroit photo gallery some 12 years ago or so. He suggested that I check it out since I have a deep interest in the city's history through my family's roots which go back to the founding of the city. I immediately joined the Forum and have been here ever since. It's been a real treat to meet so many passionate and inspired folks who are enthusiastic about our city and who are willing to share with other likeminded people. Although the Forum has evolved through the years, just as our own lives have evolved, it is dear to my heart and I thoroughly enjoy all the people that I've come to know through this site.

I've been here since the fall of 2003. I was finishing my master's and [[like others) had just gotten out of a relationship. I was also trying to decide if I really wanted to make a life here in Detroit. Found this site, and I've been making trouble ever since.

I really miss some of the '03-05 era posters, including of course itsJeff, but also Cafe, histeric, and another whose name I can't recall that moved away. Mostly everyone I've met offline has been great. I'm grateful to Lowell for putting up with all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Found this site, and I've been making trouble ever since.

Yes you have English....yes you have....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2