Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default DDOT Coach Operator attacks 62-year old man

Saw it while watching WJBK but found nothing on their site about it. On Sunday night, a 62-year old man rode on route #32 but when the bus skipped his stop the driver attacked the man. The 62-year old man is currently in Sinai-Grace Hospital.

Oh no, not another transit incident, news came a week after the "breastfeeding on SMART" incident on route #275 in Taylor. Worse, DDOT had turned 37 two days before!
    Last edited by mtburb; July-06-11 at 04:44 PM.

I am confused as to why the driver attacked the passenger after missing his stop.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, DDOT busses are A MESS, seem to be getting worse, and I avoid them unless absolutely necessary.

Something doesn't add up.

What reason would the driver have to attack the passenger who missed HIS stop?

Does anyone have additional details from a more reliable source?

Umm, if the passenger 'missed' the stop how did he get on the bus to receive said 'beat down' from the driver! Did the driver back the bus up or wait the passenger to run forward the next stop? We need a link to detail this, fo' sho'!

I googled to find the story and it appear it was on the myfoxdetroit.com site for a hot minute then was pulled. You can see the story referenced with a photo of a bus but when you click to 'see' the video it comes up as '...page you requested was not found' ?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...uring-bus-ride
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-06-11 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Umm, if the passenger 'missed' the stop how did he get on the bus to receive said 'beat down' from the driver! Did the driver back the bus up or wait the passenger to run forward the next stop? We need a link to detail this, fo' sho'!
    I believe while the guy was on the bus, he pulled the string for the driver to let him off at the next stop and the driver didn't.

That still doesn't explain why the driver attacked him.

Are bus drivers becoming the new postal employees?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Are bus drivers becoming the new postal employees?
    Having to deal with the general public in any occupation will make one go postal.

I hear that. For sure it can harden you....
    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Having to deal with the general public in any occupation will make one go postal.

Had the passenger harrassed the bus driver before getting off the bus? There had been times where bus drivers almost passed the passenger standing at a stop but had stopped a short distance past the stop. The passenger will get on the bus and yell at the bus driver for almost passing the stop. On another note; I had met some rude bus drivers while catching the bus. One or two had yelled at passengers when the passengers after ringing for a stop decided that it was a stop too early. Some bus drivers get mad when passengers ask which destination the bus is going. The electronic display on the bus might read "Have a nice day" or "Welcome" when the bus pull over to pick up passengers. The passenger will have to wait for the sign to say Dexter or Gratiot or were ever it's destination. Bus drivers have a hard time understanding that.

first post, be gentle

google has a cache of fox2's coverage with video that still works as of right now http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

Man Claims He Was Assaulted By DDOT Bus Driver

Police and DDOT investigating allegation

Updated: Sunday, 03 Jul 2011, 11:22 PM EDT
    Published : Sunday, 03 Jul 2011, 11:19 PM EDT
    By ALEXIS WILEY
    myFOXdetroit.com
    [[DETROIT) - Tiahesha Rice told FOX 2 her 62 year old father was assaulted Sunday afternoon, and is now recovering from his injuries at Sinai-Grace Hospital in Detroit.
    But Rice says her father wasn't beaten up by a group of thugs or a would-be robber. The man says he was pummeled by a DDOT bus driver.
    It allegedly happened at a bus stop at 6 Mile and Lahser Roads around 4:30 p.m.
    "He said this is the end of the road and you're getting off," said his daughter. "He [[her father) said, 'Well wait a minute, I'm getting off,' and the bus driver physically picked him up, pushed him off the bus and started punching him."
    Tiahesha's father says the driver then took off. He ran into a nearby gas station and told the attendant about the attack, and asked that person to call 911. Then he called his daughter.
    She arrived and found him sitting on the curb. Her first reaction was to go after the driver, but instead she waited for police.
    Detroit Police and DDOT are both conducting investigations into the matter.
    FOX 2 will follow this story until there is a clearer picture of exactly what caused the man's injuries.