Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pipe organ rescued just in time from Ford Auditorium

a good news story -
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011070...from-Ford-Aud-

It says that volunteers made the "rescue" possible, and that more could help with the cleaning the organ before it goes into St. Aloysius... Anyone interested in helping out?

contact Rick
    Phone: [[313) 215-6069
    Email Address: rick@hporgans.com

Helderop Pipe Organ website http://hporgans.com/index.html

lilpup Guest

The AGO wanted this organ saved and was mounting an effort to get it. I know at least one AGO member isn't impressed that this guy got it, insinuating he's a hack.

Does St. Al's presently have an organ, and if so, where will their current organ go when the Ford Auditorium organ is installed? I attended an organ recital at St. Jude's Church and it was an awesome experience. Quality church organs are few and far between. The organ at Orchestra Hall is not considered to be among the more powerful performers. Central Methodist's is majestic as is Christ Church GP's.

HI there,
    Indeed the organ is going to St. Aloysius although they need to raise money for the organ. They do have a 1970's Gabriel Kney Mechanical Action organ that is installed upstairs on the balcony in front of the rose window. The original pipe organ was installed in two chambers that flank the main altar - that is where the Ford Organ is expected to go.

Regarding the statement about the AGO.
    In general, organists who claim to be "purists" can be very opinionated and rarely have a positive thing to say about anyone. Virgil Fox [[one of the greatest organists of all time) used to say - Purists are those who talk about it, but CANT DO IT. LOL - how true. The point being, Its more than probable that the individual who made the comment about the "firm who got the contract" is upset that the AGO didn't earn the contract. I can share from first hand experience that their work is impeccable. They landed the contract to Restore the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's Original Pipe Organ. You dont' think the DSO, [[even in their financially fragile state) would leave such a major project with HUGE POTENTIAL Acoustical implications on their Hall to just anyone do you?
    All the best

The Ford organ debate over who got it, etc. is a moot point, imho and "dueling organing folk vs dueling organ folk" sparring back and forth won't help the project move forward. Importantly I have not heard of another major [[or any) organ project happening in any other center city/downtown church so if St. Al's can pull this off more the better. It certainly would be nice to hear the Ford organ in a proper acoustic setting, something it never had in its original home. And hopefully the organ could be used in off times by deserving Detroit students who might be inspired to study organ performance.

I am particularly enthused by the restoration of the Orchestra Hall Casavant. I remember seeing and hearing the organ as installed in Calvary Church at Grand River and Vicksburg. It is nothing short of amazing that as much of the organ survived and also sad that the Tuba division did not. Legandary late DSO member Marius Fossenkemper told me back in the 1970's that the organ's sound was clear and impressive, not at all "tubby" and the Tuba organ was the true crowning glory of the instrument. As I understand the similar vintage Central Woodward Christian Casavant will help fill in the gaps this should be one of the more important restorations. The organ returning to its original home at the restored Orchestra Hall would certainly be a first --- and since the chambers remain intact and from what I understand the Casavant archives are extensive it should be possible be as authentic as possible.

Both projects are exciting...organ folk should be glad two major organs are being rescued---both of them associated with the DSO, both dedicated by Dupre. The importance of each project on its own outweighs frivolous criticism. Both organs must be restored with the best possible care and concern for the integrity of each instrument.
    Last edited by detroitbob; July-15-11 at 01:20 PM.

I certainly hope someone got in there to salvage other stuff like the beautiful black granite and even some of the gray marble: http://www.thebigdetroit.com/files/T...uditorium.html

The phone boots are super cool too. So sad if that's all going in the dump.

Great news about the organ though, at least someone had some sense to get it out of there!

Quote Originally Posted by aaronz28 View Post
    HI there,
    Indeed the organ is going to St. Aloysius ... original pipe organ was installed in two chambers that flank the main altar - that is where the Ford Organ is expected to go.
    Interesting article about St. Aloysius:

http://pblosser.blogspot.com/2010/12...troits-st.html .

A small portion of the organ console in right foreground, also organ grilles besides the white altar, at balcony level [[can see better on right-hand side):

Last edited by beachboy; July-31-11 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    Does St. Al's presently have an organ, and if so, where will their current organ go when the Ford Auditorium organ is installed?
    Some pics of the St. Al's organ chambers, also a terrific
    narrative / photo essay of organ transfer from FA to shop at:

http://www.rushentertainmentcompany....Welcome_1.html

Thank you to the crew for their excellent work and for braving
    dangerous conditions at FA!!

What a great story for Detroit. I'm tweeting this.

I agree about the primo building materials used. My dad was a stone-mason/bricklayer with Bricklayer's Union Local 2 [[Now Local 1) and he worked on the Ford Auditorium. Just after it opened, he took my family plus aunts uncles cousins, etc. for a builder's tour of the place. We were all very proud of my dad. Dad also worked on another Ford project, the Rotunda.

I'm curious about the Aeolien Skinner Organ from Ford Auditorium finding new life at St. Aloysius. The Ford organ was meant for a much larger space than small St. Aloysius. And the Ford organ also had a lot of modifications done to it to try to amplify the sound to the back of the house... with little success [[according to 56packman). To now reverse the trend and put an organ meant for a much larger space into a smaller church, will make for an interesting history lesson in organ reuse.

All around it's good news that Detroit has had in terms of organs in the city. The Barton is being well maintained at the Redford, mercifully the Fisher's unique 4/34 on-of-a-kind Wurlitzer will remain at the Senate Theatre on Michigan, and that the Ford organ will get a new home downtown at St. Aloysius Church.

Sadly many of the great Detroit theatre organs are no longer here. The remnants of the Public 1 Wurlitzer organs at the Capitol [[Opera House) and Fillmore [[State) organs are today in San Francisco's Castro Theatre, and across the bay at the Oakland Paramount.

The great one of a kind 5/32 Michigan Theatre Wurlitzer Organ [[originally a 5/28 upgraded to 5/32) is today being lovingly taken care of by a Racine WI organ aficienado, who has it in a large auditorium styled basement of his huge home. It's been there since being removed by the [[then 29 year old) Wisconsin collector in 1956. The man is now in his 80s, but still gives ogan recitals in his home for visitors [[Google "Fred Hermes" for details).

Among the great treasures when it comes to Detroit Theatre organs are the 2 survivors at the Detroit Fox. Only 4 theatres in the world were known to have an independent lobby organ, the Fox's 3/21 Moller is the only one still in its' original place. And what can be said that hasn't already been said about Detoit's fabulous and massive 4/36 Wurlitzer Organ one of about 1/2 dozen largest theatre organs in the world.

And speaking of the Mighty Wurlitzer at the Fox... few organ pieces can rival this "blow the cobwebs out of the organ chambers" [[unknown?) piece being play by Detroit Fox Principal Organist David Calendine... Listen to the first 2 minutes... the videography of the Fox sucks, but the music is superb, showing once again why the Detroit Fox can give off that WOW factor better than most places on earth....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0rrR1n9l9I
    [[NOTE: this is being played by the "Slave Console" up in the balcony. Not many theatre organs had the luxury of a main console on stage and a slave console up in the balcony.)

PRESERVATION WAYNE's biggest tour, the 4 1/2 hour Downtown Movie Palace Tour is in 2 weeks [[Sat. Aug.13)... and some tours are likely already sold out... There will be an organist playing the mighty Fox Wurlitzer... just like in years past... one of the show stoppers of the tour...
    Last edited by Gistok; July-31-11 at 11:08 PM.

There is no such thing as a pipe organ that is too loud for a smaller space in my book :-)

I am happy it is being used again.

Well its better than Tiger Stadium where they removed a few seats and torn down everything else and refused to let people even take the bricks.