Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default St. Albertus Summer Picnic July 10

I'm volunteering at St. Albertus' picnic on the church grounds Sunday July 10.

If you have any interest in visiting the church and seeing the improvements volunteers have done, this is an excellent opportunity. The church closed 20-ish years ago but volunteers keep it open and have made substantial improvements to the church and old rectory. http://stalbertusdetroit.org/mass_and_event_schedule

It is Detroit's oldest Polish church supposedly.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    It is Detroit's oldest Polish church supposedly.
    There is nothing supposed about it, that is fact.

Thanks for the heads up.

I was through the rectory and old school a few times many years ago. I was very impressed with the rectory. I thought the gym was especially cool because the Albertus "A" in the center of the gym looked very close to the old "anarchy A".

Glad to hear something is being done. They had a lot of work on there hands -- I wish them good luck.

The church restoration has made serious progress. The organ has been restored and is used for church services. Much of the brick work has been completed. Roofing and drainage work have been done. Fencing has been replaced and some undesirable foliage has been dealt with. The garage roof has been replaced which allows for storage of yard equipment. Considering that it is a work of love and the organization PAHSA, is not buried in funds, the improvements are quite amazing. I started volunteering there probably six years ago and the positive changes to me are very noticeable. The rectory work continues as well, it is also a very impressive Queen Anne style home [[I think that's the architectural style).

The school however contintues to deteriorate.

One positive development is the subsidized housing complex across the street on St. Aubin, beginning summer 2010 that complex was renovated and reopened. It's very nice to see an occupied group of apartments over there instead of boarded buildings.