Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Civil War Days @ Fort Wayne CANCELLED

sorry to say next weekend's event will not be held due to an epic amount of damage caused by the storm.

the storm left all 92 acres covered in broken tree limbs, hanging treelimbs, litter, shingles, blown-in windows, and down power lines. there is one still arcing right next to our headquarters building, and we are without power.

there is no way our volunteers can clear the damage that has been done. we are going to have to wait for crews to come in and clear the trees, and remove the ones that have been destroyed...the level of damage is truly mind blowing.

thankfully no historic blgs have received serious damage aside from a few missing or cracked panes. this is the first time this event has ever been cancelled in 11 years.

[[this also means that due to the danger of the down power and hanging limbs, the site will be closed to the public until the damage can be cleared...probably a week.)
    Last edited by WaCoTS; July-04-11 at 10:23 AM.

in good news however, the powder magazine now has a new roof!

Dang, was going to go there. Oh well.

Since my younger brother & his family are rabid avid CW re-enactors, he is extremely bummed the event is being cancelled. He fully understands & appreciates, but Fort Wayne is among their favorite-est re-enactment gigs. I guess I - and I'm sure he - would rather see the cancellation than to deal with what I read in the below link.

http://www.wgal.com/r/28438957/detail.html

Sorry to hear that CWD is cancelled. I have been before and love the event. A group of friends were planning to meet and go there Saturday. Too bad, what a great place Fort Wayne is.

well, there will still be the World War II reenactment weekend later in the summer, and dont forget there are still the old-time baseball games every so often, plus the Fort is open to tours on the weekends.

i actually HIGHLY recommend the tours, even though i am not a fan of tours generally. you get SO much more interesting history from the tours they do at the Fort, which you would never know otherwise, or if you just decide to walk the grounds without doing the tour.

At least I'm going to the Henry Ford on Friday, they currently have a great exhibit on the 150th anniversary of the Civil War.

If people must use epic on this board they should at least use it correctly. I am getting tired of seeing it used incorrectly.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/epic

Bit of a topic hijack but if you ever come to the Netherlands there are some great fortifications you can visit, like this one in the eastern village of Bourtange. And yes, this fortress is inhabited.

A few years back a truck driver overestimated his skills and drove his simi into the town center leaving a trail of distruction in his wake. What a total asshole. [[Everything has been restored thankfully.)

The city of Naarden is equally impressive.

The mastermind behind these masterpieces was fortress designer Menno van Coehoorn who was born less then 3 miles from where I live.

Brielle is also a very popular tourist attraction.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; July-06-11 at 10:58 AM.

Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? NO! And it ain't over now!

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? NO! And it ain't over now!
    The Germans?

Don't stop him he is on a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The Germans?

Don't stop him he is on a roll.

Grade A student of the Michelle Bachmann school of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Go listen to your ABBA albums! You're not familiar with popular american culture of the late 1970's/ early 1980s are you?

Please do a you tube search.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Apparently you both have never seen the movie

here's an update on the conditions at the Fort:

First of all We would like to thank everyone for their concern and restraint in coming down to the fort while while closed from last weeks storm. The executive staff of the coalition has been in contact with the City of Detroit and has gotten the OK to hold a work day with our coalition members this weekend. The fort remains closed to the public at this time.

Damage to the electric grid at Fort Wayne has been repaired. Today power was fully restored fto the site. We want to again, thank everyone for not going to the fort ths week due to the hazards associated with the site. There are still numerous downed trees along the Jefferson Avenue frontage of the fort , and is entirely off limits to all [[this includes coalition members) There are numerous hazards in the upper levels of the trees that can cause injury, therfore it is important that no one enters blocked off areas. The clean up involving any downed trees or hanging tree branches will be handled by the City of Detroit. With that said, we have enough open ares on the rest of site, that we can commence with clean up of the grounds and projects as normally scheduled. We can clean up the streets and any of the hazard free areas of any debris.