Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Gethsemane Cemetery question.

Does anyone have a list of what graves are in the fenced off section of the cemetery at the airport boundary?
    I spent part of two Saturdays walking aroud that part looking for the grave of my Dad who was buried there in 1977.
    I think he may be inside the fence now.
    I know the grave was near the airport fence, but not sure eactly where.
    I havent been back for a long time I admit.
    Hope this isnt a re-post.
    Thanks for any help.

This may help, or if I messed up the link, just go to findagrave.com:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=589&CScn=geth&CScntry=4&CSst=2 4&CScnty=1308&[/URL]

Already been to findagrave.
    My dads grave isnt listed there.
    Apparently someone has to add it, but I need to find it first.

Just give them a call during the week. The cemetery is run by the City now, but the woman who was there every time I've asked for assistance locating relatives has been very helpful. They can tell you exactly where your father is so you aren't wandering around all day.

They actually have a section fenced off and no access with graves in it? That's pretty low, but I guess it's no different than the little cemetery that's surrounded by the Poletown Plant.

I think the fenced off area is a "buffer zone" or something, left over from the Coleman Young era when that Mayor wanted to build an extended airport runway right through the cemetery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    I think the fenced off area is a "buffer zone" or something, left over from the Coleman Young era when that Mayor wanted to build an extended airport runway right through the cemetery.
    More than likely, but you'd think the city would have taken it down after that plan failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    More than likely, but you'd think the city would have taken it down after that plan failed.

...but you'd think the city would have [insert rational thought here].

If I had a dime for every time I've said that during my 39 years living in this city...