Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Epic Severe Weather

Right now very bad thunderstorms are hitting my area! Hail even fell on my porch! Also there is constant lightning and a sea green sky.

Counties with a severe warning [[as of last check on WJBK)

Monroe
    Washtenaw
    Wayne [[I live in this county!)

So DYers living in these counties stay safe!

Also, all Metro Detroit counties [[except Livingston) are under a severe watch. My internet just disconnected and is acting up. FS Detroit continues to loose the signal while showing a crawl about tonight's Tigers game under a rain delay [[SD cable channel 35 where I live).

An update: Now only the counties under a severe warning [[same as above) plus Lenawee County are under a severe watch.

Update #2: Now the sky is orangish-green.

Update #3: Checked on WJBK again, now Lenawee County is under a severe warning.

Update #4: Checked and the severe warning in Washtenaw County has expired. It is still under a watch though.

Update #5: Lenawee County is no longer under a warning while Wayne County [[my county) is under a flash flood warning!

Update #6: Monroe County is no longer under a warning. Plus it is now safe to turn on lights in my home.

Update #7: There is no longer a watch.
    Last edited by mtburb; July-02-11 at 08:47 PM.

these clouds over midtown are a sickly yellow color, and moving in all directions. Crazy surreal looking with no rain falling.

This weather looks angry...

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    these clouds over midtown are a sickly yellow color, and moving in all directions. Crazy surreal looking with no rain falling.

This weather looks angry...
    Similar color clouds down here, but to the north and more orange than yellow, to the south it is blueish-purple. Was it so surreal it looked like Halloween in July?
    Last edited by mtburb; July-02-11 at 08:18 PM.

kind of like a sepia tone...weird lookin'

Yeah, the outside has been looking like a scene out of a sepiatone movie or TV show that was poorly colorized.

I think the orange comes from the city lights and some sunlight reflecting into low clouds and hail

Buy American Guest

Sky looks orange in Warren...weird looking sky.

Now the clouds area strange red.

Not a Detroit phenomenon; it's called a sunset
    Here is the one over Almont tonight:

When there is a high concentration of particles in the atmosphere that are slightly larger than air molecules [[like smoke, dust, and pollutants), shorter and intermediate wavelengths of light [[violet, blue and yellow) are scattered away. Therefore, only the longer wavelengths [[orange and red) reach the observer's eyes, giving the sun a orange-red appearance.
    http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/[[Gh)/gu...t/air/sun.rxml
    The clouds in midtown and the rest of Detroit area may be due to the fires in Highland Park.

Blue sky, then green sky, then orange sky.

Realllly freaky weather.

I noted that. Had not seen the sky after a storm that way in many years. A childhood memory was triggered...living off Boston and Linwood during the 60's and seeing that cast upon the many apartments that once stood there after a storm or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    Now the clouds area strange red.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-03-11 at 06:02 AM.

Thanks Jcole for the screensaver. The thumb print forever.

"Epic Severe Weather" lol. More like "very strange weather." I'd love to hear the description for tornado.

^^^ I was thinking 'typical early summer in SE Michigan weather', but hey, what do I know?

We spotted a funnel cloud probably between the Rouge plant and downtown. We were just loading up in Meijer parking lot when I spotted it. Very distinctive tail and swirling clouds around it. Next time I looked up, a minute or two later, it was gone. Probably the strangest weather I have ever seen, with the eerie yellow hue and all.

I live just north of the St. Joseph County line in Kalamazoo County. Yesterday, our weather went from summer-like to suffocating sauna in a matter of minutes. I have had a fish tank for 25 years and this is the first time it ever fogged up with condensation, to the point of dripping. So did the glass door of my wash machine, which was not running; door was just open an inch or two, but apparently it was far cooler inside than outside it. Our skies darkened to the point where my solar address light turned on.

We never got one drop of rain and little real wind, though we could see the skies south of us were much greener and blacker and moving quickly. I think that was the storm that hit SE Michigan. I hear that up the Thumb north of Port Huron got battered, as well, with an apparent weather change similar to what I experienced plus an actual storm. Which, as I said, we watched go over us. Weird weather, indeed.

Default downtown

I was downtown at the ATT building waiting on the bus when those winds came through and it looked like a tornado, but no one is calling it that. It ripped up several construction barrels and was blowing them around in the air. It also ripped open some sandbags and caused this mini sandstorm which really sucked.

Afterwards the sky looked so green and strange. I was half expecting an alien spaceship to land because it was so eerie out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    We spotted a funnel cloud probably between the Rouge plant and downtown. We were just loading up in Meijer parking lot when I spotted it. Very distinctive tail and swirling clouds around it. Next time I looked up, a minute or two later, it was gone. Probably the strangest weather I have ever seen, with the eerie yellow hue and all.
    Midtown had perfect funnel conditions, I didn't see one but the clouds were low, and swirling in on each other extremely fast. I could feel the winds and temperatures shifting around me. It was extremely ominous for an hour or so.

I was eating at Slows when this hit. The wind and rain was incredibly for about 15-20 minutes. Thankfully by the time we were done eating it was just a drizzle.

On the plus side, temperatures must've dropped at least 30 degrees in less than an hour. That and the fact the chairs on the deck in my backyard were covered in hail, that probably made a difference. Hail doesn't make very good snowballs, though. Never seen anything like that in the middle of summer in Michigan.

I was in Chatham Ontario when it hit during an extended Canada Day early 4th of July backyard BBQ . It looked like 2 different storms combined into one , lots of strong winds , cloud rotation . The winds lasted a good half hour before the rain and hail started , enough time to move things indoors . Lots of downed limbs and tree's down heading back home through Wallaceburg and Walpole Island . Saw one large power pole leaning so bad along St.John's Marsh , that a DTE truck was parked there with an apparatus arm thingy holding it up . Our U.S. Customs were in rare form in Algonac checking everybody'd trunk coming back from Canada including what looked to be an 80 years old couple . They didn't seem to mind though .

We were at Pier Park in Grosse Pointe Farms- they evacuated everyone out just in time. Here is a pic of the spooky orange sky that appeared between the storms.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It was a La Nina type Storm that hit hard all over the Metro-Detroit area. Over 110,000 residents are without power. So far power has been restored to 90,000 residents more clean up is on the way.