Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Red Grape Lounge

Anyone know the deal with this new place? Seems like it replaced the 5 & 10 bar, although I'm not sure that one even opened. On Woodward across Texas de Brazil.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Anyone know the deal with this new place? Seems like it replaced the 5 & 10 bar, although I'm not sure that one even opened. On Woodward across Texas de Brazil.

Stromberg2
    I noticed that today too. 5&10 Bar was open for several months, then they closed to remodel, then they reopened shortly before closing again. They always kept odd hours as well. I really did like the bar staff- very friendly. I can't find anything about Red Grapes online. If they are a wine bar, it will make for 3 wine bars within 1 city block with Motor City Wine and Vine Bar. I also dig the awning they have, which extends all the way to the street, New York City-style. I also noticed that they are working on the facade of the building, possibly prepping for lofts.

Also, right down the street, does anybody know anything about KaCent, right next to Bangkok Crossing? I think it is brand new. It looks like a classy restaurant. Their sign says that they have Southern and American cuisine. Many, many new bars and restaurants around town these days.

Darn, I thought that this was going to be a thread on The Red Grape that I used to go to occasionally back in the 1970s! IIRC, it was located on McNichols between Gratiot and Conner.

Another bar on Merchants row. Put a couple of strrip joints on the ave to make it complete. The Mayor, council, city planners, and charter need to be ashame of themselves

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Another bar on Merchants row. Put a couple of strrip joints on the ave to make it complete. The Mayor, council, city planners, and charter need to be ashame of themselves
    What? Why? There appears to be nothing seedy about this place. Bars are a common element in most thriving cities.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    What? Why? There appears to be nothing seedy about this place. Bars are a common element in most thriving cities.
    Yeah, I'm confused as well. If this place is a nice, upscale joint, I'm thrilled to have it on Merchant's Row.

What that area needs is a bodega. Like the small grocers you see in New York. You know, like the fruit and veg store that Kramer got banned from on Seinfeld.

Stromberg2

I walked by Red Grapes on the way home from mass this morning and spoke w/ one of the construction workers. According to him, it will be open on Tuesday, July 5th. He said, it's going to be a restaurant and bar w/ a dance floor.

Slum landlords...very racist and bias. They hate black people and hip hop, very stereotype people. Will not visit them again...or there other establishments. All they want is your money, they can care less of the community and hiring folks.

We need retail and restaurants on Woodward, not ghetto bars and strip clubs..smh.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Slum landlords...very racist and bias. They hate black people and hip hop, very stereotype people. Will not visit them again...or there other establishments. All they want is your money, they can care less of the community and hiring folks.

Ummmmmmm......huh?

I've been there a few times for lunch since they opened up back in March. Its a nice decor inside and the menu is simple and relatively inexpensive compared to surrounding restaurants. According to the bartender Selena [[which I luv btw, ask for her speciality drink), its owned by the same group that owns Niki's Lounge, which is saying a lot, both good and bad.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    What that area needs is a bodega. Like the small grocers you see in New York. You know, like the fruit and veg store that Kramer got banned from on Seinfeld.

Stromberg2
    Jazz Convienience store just opened down the street, don't know if they have lots of veggies though

The Red Grape was on 6 Mile [[McNichols) near Waltham. Waltham is basically halfway between Schoenherr and Gunston.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Darn, I thought that this was going to be a thread on The Red Grape that I used to go to occasionally back in the 1970s! IIRC, it was located on McNichols between Gratiot and Conner.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesyxx View Post
    I've been there a few times for lunch since they opened up back in March. Its a nice decor inside and the menu is simple and relatively inexpensive compared to surrounding restaurants. According to the bartender Selena [[which I luv btw, ask for her speciality drink), its owned by the same group that owns Niki's Lounge, which is saying a lot, both good and bad.
    Well, if it's owned by the Niki's folks and it has a dance floor, then it will cater to the people that go to Niki's Lounge. Also, since Niki's II didn't work out at Coach's Corner, I bet the owner was still looking for a second location. Niki's Lounge usually has a long line to get into every Friday and Saturday night. I bet the owner is hoping that the Red Grape will be that second club that will pick up that overflow crowd. Needless to say, it can have its positives and negatives as Genesyxx pointed out.
    Last edited by royce; July-06-11 at 02:51 AM. Reason: correction

The Nikis folks had dissapointed Detroiters by not keeping to their original plan to make the Kresge Building into what City Loft is doing down the street but on a lower scale. I had spoken to few of the small shop owners that were once in the Kresge building whom had told me that the owner had ranned them out of the place. The owner is very short sighted when it comes to clothing retail. Deep pockets but short arms.

Red Grape caught my eye today.
    Name:  Detroit_07-11-2011_103.jpg
Views: 2933
Size:  50.8 KB

I also noticed KaCent in the old Red Square space. Anyone check that out yet?

Has anyone been inside Chez Zora lately? I stopped in for a small coffee and noticed that it looksed pretty torn up inside. The guy behind the counter said the landlord was doing some remodeling for a bar. Might this be the same place?

~Jared

I drove by Red Grape yesterday and it looked like they were close to being open for business. I also noticed Club LAX for the first time. It was impressive with three levels, neon lights, and huge screens. Anyone been?

They hate black people and hip hop, very stereotype people.
    I hate all hip-hop and rap with a passion, no matter who does it, but I like jazz and some blues, so where are you getting the stereotype business because someone doesn't like a certain type of music?

Default We Want Your Input -The Red Grape Lounge

For those that don't know The Red Grape Lounge opened this past June. We are located at 1201 Woodward north of Campus Martius at the Kresge Building. The cultivation of the Lounge will celebrate Motown and R&B music history, re-purpose and redo the history of the Kresge building, and bring it back to life! so...

We Want Your Input!

…so lets make a deal. We think crowdsourcing and community collaboration is important to a vibrant downtown area, so we would like to hear your input. Please answer all of the questions below, and you will be redirected to a page where you can print out a coupon for a FREE* APPETIZER!
    * weekdays between 2 & 7PM through September 2011

Share your Input HERE

Also come down tonight [[September 11th, 2011) and enter to win a Bottle of Moscato Wine!

We look forward to your input and making big impact on Detroit!

Feel free to join us on Facebook as well! The Red Grape Lounge - Facebook Page

If you have any other inquiries feel free to contact us at hello@redgrapelounge.com

Good Luck. I look forward to visiting. Here is a picture I snapped while on the Labor Day parade route.

That's a stunning building!

I visited this place the other day, it is a cool concept. They play alot of Motown music and the food is not bad and very reasonable pricing. Also, they have a big area and patio so it shouldn't be too hard to get a table even during peak business hours or when there is a sporting event nearby. There is a stage/dance floor there also and I guess they host other types of events.

DETROIT NEEDS MORE PLACES LIKE THIS!!!

There is a Groupon deal for Red Grape Lounge today:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/the-red...unge?c=dnb&p=1

from the website:

For $15, you get a Classic American meal for two [[a $36.97 total value) that includes:
    • One appetizer [[up to a $6.99 value).
    • Two entrees [[up to a $14.99 value each).
    For $39, you get a Classic American meal for four [[a $94.95 total value) that includes:
    • One appetizer [[up to a $6.99 value).
    • Four entrees [[up to a $14.99 value each).
    • One bottle of wine [[up to a $28 value).