Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Taking SMART to the Henry Ford sometime next week, recommendations?

I have began planning a possible ride to the Henry Ford sometime next week on SMART, any recommendations, such as what routes to take? BTW I live near the intersection of Fort Street and Eureka [[on the Wyandotte side).

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I have began planning a possible ride to the Henry Ford ).
    Fastest time according to Google Maps. You should try it sometime.

Transit directions to The Henry Ford

Walk to Fort Street & Eureka

1. Head north on Fort St toward Catalpa St

Fort Street & Eureka 125

Bus towards Inbound
    9:09pm - 9:51pm [[42 mins, 80 stops) Service run by SMART

Penultimate stop: Fort @ Cass

Bus - 125 - Fort St-Eureka Rd - Direction: InboundService

Griswold & Congress

Walk to Griswold & Larned
    About 4 mins [[46 mins to make transfer)

Walk to Griswold & LarnedAbout 4 mins« PreviousZoom in
    Trip overview
    Next »

Griswold & Larned 200

Bus towards Outbound
    10:37pm - 11:14pm [[37 mins, 56 stops) Service run by SMART

Penultimate stop: Michigan @ Brady

Bus - 200 - Michigan Avenue Local - Direction: Outbound46 mins to make transferService run by SMART10:37pm Depart Griswold & Larned11:14pm Arrive Michigan @ Oakwood Blvd« PreviousZoom in
    Trip overview
    Next »

Michigan @ Oakwood Blvd

Walk to 20900 Oakwood Boulevard, Dearborn, MI 48124-4088
    About 12 mins [[0.6 mi) Beta: Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths.

1. Head east on Michigan Ave toward Oakwood Blvd

112 ft

2. Turn right onto Oakwood Blvd

0.6 mi

Walk to 20900 Oakwood Boulevard, Dearborn, MI 48124-4088About 12 mins« PreviousZoom in
    Trip overview
    Next »The Henry Ford
    20900 Oakwood Boulevard
    Dearborn, MI 48124-4088
    « PreviousZoom in
    Trip overview
    Next »
    Travel time: about 2 hours 18 mins

About 1 min [[194 ft) Beta: Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths.

194 ft

Walk to Fort Street & EurekaAbout 1 min« PreviousZoom in
    Trip overview
    Next »

Fort Street & Eureka 125

Bus towards Inbound
    9:59pm - 10:41pm [[42 mins, 80 stops) Service run by SMART

Bus - 125 - Fort St-Eureka Rd - Direction: InboundService run by SMART9:59pm Depart Fort Street & Eureka10:41pm Arrive Griswold & Congress« PreviousZoom in
    Trip overview
    Next »

Griswold & Congress

About 4 mins [[56 mins to make transfer)

Trip overview
    Next »

Griswold & Larned 200

Bus towards Outbound
    11:37pm - 12:06am [[29 mins, 54 stops) Service run by SMART

Bus - 200 - Michigan Avenue Local - Direction: Outbound56 mins to make transferService run by SMART11:37pm Depart Griswold & Larned12:06am Arrive Michigan @ Oakwood Blvd« PreviousZoom in
    Trip overview
    Next »

Michigan @ Oakwood Blvd

About 12 mins [[0.6 mi) Beta: Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths.

112 ft

0.6 mi

Walk to 20900 Oakwood Boulevard, Dearborn, MI 48124-4088About 12 mins« PreviousZoom in
    Trip overview
    Next »The Henry Ford
    20900 Oakwood Boulevard
    Dearborn, MI 48124-4088
    « PreviousZoom in
    Trip overview
    Next »
    Travel time: about 2 hours 20 mins

About 1 min [[194 ft) Beta: Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths.

194 ft

Walk to Fort Street & EurekaAbout 1 min« PreviousZoom in
    Trip overview
    Next »

Fort Street & Eureka 125

Bus towards Inbound
    11:38pm - 12:20am [[42 mins, 80 stops) Service run by SMART

Bus - 125 - Fort St-Eureka Rd - Direction: InboundService run by SMART11:38pm Depart Fort Street & Eureka12:20am Arrive Griswold & Congress« PreviousZoom in
    Trip overview
    Next »

Griswold & Congress

About 4 mins [[17 mins to make transfer)

Trip overview
    Next »

Griswold & Larned 200

Bus towards Outbound

Bus - 200 - Michigan Avenue Local - Direction: Outbound

Michigan @ Oakwood Blvd

Walk to 20900 Oakwood Boulevard, Dearborn, MI 48124-« 1 hour 41 mins

The Henry Ford
    20900 Oakwood Boulevard
    Dearborn, MI 48124-4088

Route #200 may be ruled out since we might be transferring at Fort and Southfield Road.

Vox Guest

Route #200 may be ruled out since we might be transferring at Fort and Southfield Road.
    Considering that there's no other way to get there besides #200 according to google, I'd say that you are not gonna get there.

Vox Guest

I dont know if this map is still valid, but it looks as if there are a few more options available. Maybe the 140?

http://www.smartbus.org/smart/Ride%2...ewSmartMap.pdf

Hours for the service:

http://www.smartbus.org/Smart/NewsIn...laneJobExp.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    I dont know if this map is still valid, but it looks as if there are a few more options available. Maybe the 140?
    Exactly.

And I earlier did look on Google and three choices came up: two on routes #125 and #140, another a longer one that involves routes #125, #275 and #200.

Now that I figured out how to get there, what are the best things to see at the Henry Ford?

Vox Guest

Exactly.

And I earlier did look on Google and three choices came up: two on routes #125 and #140, another a longer one that involves routes #125, #275 and #200.

Now that I figured out how to get there, what are the best things to see at the Henry Ford?
    Check out the transportation exhibits.

Now we are discussing the trip occurring this Thursday.

Just figured out the hours and ticket prices on the Henry Ford website. I can start to feel it now
    One question though, how am I supposed to purchase tickets? Do you have to get them on the website or you just go to a booth at the venue?

Sorry for the double post.
    Last edited by mtburb; July-04-11 at 12:41 PM.

You'd get there faster by donkeycart.

Now we are discussing the trip occurring this Thursday.
    Now the trip will be this Friday, posting this because I can no longer edit the post quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    You'd get there faster by donkeycart.
    Weren't you captured by Shrek and had your car replaced by that?

Just now I signed up to this thing on the Henry Ford website where you can make your own exhibits!

BTW, about 15 minutes ago I was figuring how to transfer between SMART buses [[since I have never transferred before).
    Last edited by mtburb; July-04-11 at 02:20 PM.

Early this afternoon I called the Henry Ford regarding the ticket prices. Didn't ask them how to buy them though.

And sorry for the double post.

But, I will be going in just two more days! Lots of walking might be involved though.
    Last edited by mtburb; July-06-11 at 03:49 PM.

Just figured out the hours and ticket prices on the Henry Ford website. I can start to feel it now
    One question though, how am I supposed to purchase tickets? Do you have to get them on the website or you just go to a booth at the venue?

Sorry for the double post.
    Go to the booth remember to tell them that you took the bus as they will try to ding you for $5 parking. There are separate admission prices for everything. Depending upon how you work things it may be better to get the membership or member + companion. I have no idea how to get discounts but I'd see if they have them available by doing a google search.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Go to the booth remember to tell them that you took the bus as they will try to ding you for $5 parking. There are separate admission prices for everything. Depending upon how you work things it may be better to get the membership or member + companion. I have no idea how to get discounts but I'd see if they have them available by doing a google search.
    Thanks for that tip!

Another double post! The trip is tomorrow! So close I already can sense it. By the way, any other recommended exhibits at the Henry Ford? I certainly can't go to the automotive exhibit since it's under construction.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the story of my trip. What do you think it will turn out?
    Last edited by mtburb; July-07-11 at 06:37 PM.

If you re just going to the museum and not the village, you won't really be seeing it in all its glory. Much of the auto section of the museum is under construction. You can do trains and planes, though. I'd recommend the Village. I worked my way through school driving the horses there and just love the place! It all depends on your personal taste and preference. You can do the entire museum in one day [[and another day for the Village). They have really detailed maps. I wouldn't miss the Civil Rights exhibit, the Rosa Parks bus [[inside the Civil Rights exhibit), the Heroes of the Sky exhibit, and the Alleghany train [[at the far end). Don't forget the Lincoln Chair and Kennedy's Presidential Car [[the one he was in when he was assassinated)! The Weinermobile is mighty fun, too [[and my 5 year old nephew's favorite exhibit in the museum).

If you are planning on the Village, don't miss: Logan County Courthouse, Menlo Park Lab, Firestone Farm, Wright Cycle Shop. Ford's birthplace, The Maddox house, the Slave Quarters [[next to the Maddox house), and Daggett Farm.

Have Fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    If you re just going to the museum and not the village, you won't really be seeing it in all its glory. Much of the auto section of the museum is under construction. You can do trains and planes, though. I'd recommend the Village. I worked my way through school driving the horses there and just love the place! It all depends on your personal taste and preference. You can do the entire museum in one day [[and another day for the Village). They have really detailed maps. I wouldn't miss the Civil Rights exhibit, the Rosa Parks bus [[inside the Civil Rights exhibit), the Heroes of the Sky exhibit, and the Alleghany train [[at the far end). Don't forget the Lincoln Chair and Kennedy's Presidential Car [[the one he was in when he was assassinated)! The Weinermobile is mighty fun, too [[and my 5 year old nephew's favorite exhibit in the museum).

If you are planning on the Village, don't miss: Logan County Courthouse, Menlo Park Lab, Firestone Farm, Wright Cycle Shop. Ford's birthplace, The Maddox house, the Slave Quarters [[next to the Maddox house), and Daggett Farm.

Have Fun!!
    The museum, most likely. The village, a slight chance of going there. But I think most of the most popular cars in the under-construction automotive exhibit have been temporairly moved elsewhere.
    Last edited by mtburb; July-07-11 at 07:44 PM.

More fun stuff:

Museum - At the back of the museum is a giant Edison electric steam engine. It's not immediately obvious, but you can take stairs up to it's second level and check out the control panels up there. Nice view of the museum, as well. The "your place in time" exhibit next to the civil rights exhibit is also neat.

Village - You can have tea at the Cotswold Cottage, but check the yellowjacket situation first. They can get pretty vicious, but usually not until later in July. Also check out the nice garden by the pond, the glass blowing shop in the liberty craftworks, and the machine shop near the Model T stand - where for a few bucks you can turn a brass candlestick on an ~100 year old lathe.

Here's the story! Click on a location sto see the Google Street View of that location and on an exhibit to view the page of that exhibit on the Henry Ford site.

I grabbed the money, the camera and my sunglasses and went out to this bus stop in front of the Walgreen's on Fort Street just north of Eureka.

Despite Southwest Wyandotte's density, it still was a walk down an alley for several blocks, then up 23rd Street to Eureka, up Eureka to Fort Street, then a half-block on Fort to the bus stop. The stop really didn't exist in any other form than a sign mounted to a wooden street light pole between a sidewalk and a busy Fort Street.

So I stood for over five minutes next to the light pole between a sidewalk that hardly, if ever, gets used and one of Detroit's radials.

The bus eventually came, it was a 2003 Gillig low floor bus, #23356, that was 40 feet long. The bus was about 20% full, unusual for a route that serves Detroit. It made a few stops, one in front of Belmar Lanes, then another one north of Riverbank, then again north of Merrill. An old woman pulled the cord for me and I got off at this stop south of Park Street next to the White Castle. So I was stuck walking a couple blocks up to Southfield, then a half-block west on Southfield to this bus stop [[note the sign had been replaced between the time of the Street View image and the time I went to the stop), in a desolate part of downtown Lincoln Park. I sat on the flower pots and waited.

Then the bus arrived, a 2002 Gillig Low floor 40-foot bus, #22380. It stopped at the Lincoln Park Plaza, then again just after turning onto Allen Road, then just before Outer Drive, then I got off in front of the Museum.

After getting the tickets, I went over to the presidential limos, then to the transportation exhibit. Then I went into the clock exhibit, went into this exhibit, we tried finding Lincoln's chair, I didn't find it, but got to sit in the Rosa Parks bus. Then it was off to the Civil War exhibit. Then it was off to the house, then to the "your place in time" exhibit. Then I went to the "sky heroes" exhibit, then I left.

Then the bus back came, a 2002 Gillig low floor 35-foot bus, #22345. It stopped at Fairlane Green, then again in front of Lincoln Park City Hall. Then I got off at Fort Street, but not before missing the connecting route #125 bus. So we were forced to wait 42 minutes in this shelter, the bus arrived but it was a couple minutes late. It was a 2003 Gillig low floor 40-foot bus, #23305, it had a couple bikes on it and was heading to the McNamara Terminal.

The bus was almost full. It made stops here and there, the first in front of the CVS Pharmacy at the intersection with Champaign to let off a bicyclist who then took his bike off and one in front of the McDonald's at the intersection with Goddard where the driver got off for a minute. Then I got off in front of the Six Star restaurant, where another bicyclist also got off, therefore the bike rack was empty and pulled back up. Then I walked east on Eureka to home.

And that's my story of today's trip.
    Last edited by mtburb; July-08-11 at 01:44 PM.