Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Radio Stations 1974

Found this "Spring '74" list of Detroit area radio stations today. Maybe it will bring back some memories for some here. I had forgotten about WCAR 1130 AM which for a time did have a Progressive Rock format; maybe the only one I've ever heard on AM radio.

Name:  radio2.jpg
Views: 5710
Size:  56.8 KB

The American radio scene has changed about as much as the American auto industry in all that time, and the beat goes on.

Is that one of Vuolo's old Radio Guides?

You're right, the dial sure has changed. I'd hate to compare that format/call letter list to a current one.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Is that one of Vuolo's old Radio Guides?
    Yes, "A. R. Vuolo" is credited. I remember coming across radio guides all the time in the 70s, all with ads & logos; must have been a worthwhile advertising vehicle for a while.

Art made those things for markets across the country for years. In the Detroit market, Elias Bros. was a major sponsor. He finally stopped producing them 5 or 6 years ago.

Oh, how I miss the Beautiful Music format!

The one I can see that is still sort of the same is 94.7 FM "Solid Gold - All Oldies All the Time", except that every time I pass through there on the dial a commercial is playing. That is one annoying station, particularly because when they do part the Red Sea to play a bit of music it is invariably selected from an extremely narrow playlist.

WWJ is the only one that really still matches the 1974 format description. WJR, sort of, but they have sunk to a syndicated talk show format. Maybe I missed some other ones.

And I really, really miss WDTR. It seems that a station out of Monroe is now using the WDTR call letters, with a "Smile FM - Michigan's Positive Hits" format. Anybody remember Magic Mike with "Stick it In Your Ear" or "Ask the Professor"? I loved that show. Guess what - it still airs, but on WHO, 1040 AM in Des Moines. I think. Check your AM radio 9:30 Sunday morning to see if you can pick it up. Don't know if Magic Mike is on anywhere.

Default Oldies but goodies

88.7 is STILL the same...awesome!

Always liked the way they said.."AAAAABX DETROIT"

"W R I F BAAABY!!!

I loved Ronnie Legge and the gang at CJOM 88.7 during this time period. Check out this CJOM album chart from '73: Mahavishnu Orchestra, Focus, T Rex, Humble Pie, Stooges, Faces, Robin Trower. Makes you cry for the music of today. [[I know that makes me sound like a bitter old man!)

http://las-solanas.com/arsa/charts_view.php?svid=8013

I certainly was a rock boy, but in those days I would get up Sunday to a pot of coffee, the Sunday paper, and tune into WJZZ.

Nice Sundays they were.

Thanks for the cool linkage, narnarnar. I didn't know those charts from all way back in '74 still existed.I listened to CJOM and WABX most of the time. Often times the big four rock stations serving metro Detroit played many of the same artist, the real difference being the on-air personalities that drew you in. I recall Ronnie Legge quite well, his references to cocaine and other drugs while broadcasting was a big no no then. Damn I miss that competitiveness and outlandishness.