Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default University of Phoenix to be a major presence on Campus Martius

A major score for 1001 Woodward, University of Phoenix will not only take a full floor in the office building, but will be occupying the large, vacant, street frontage along Woodward and Michigan avenues.
    Jim Pappas had wanted to make that a restaurant space, but couldn't turn down U of P's offer to build it out for their own.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...enter-in-first

That is stellar news for all the new restaurants that are opening up downtown, like Texas de Brazil. As the number of commercial tenants continues to grow in the CBD, it will pump up retail business. Now all we need is more residential space.

That's good to hear. Certainly love seeing as many businesses as possible...and interesting that WSU, MSU, UM and now University of Phoenix [[I know, I know...) all have a presence within a few miles on Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    That is stellar news for all the new restaurants that are opening up downtown, like Texas de Brazil. As the number of commercial tenants continues to grow in the CBD, it will pump up retail business. Now all we need is more residential space.
    Do you have any idea where we have up-to-date numbers of how many employees are downtown/percent of downtown office space used is now compared to, say, three years ago?

intriguing.. hopefully the school can market themselves to more detroiters, make available more classes at the downtown detroit facilities..

Quote Originally Posted by daniel_duggan View Post
    A major score for 1001 Woodward, University of Phoenix will not only take a full floor in the office building, but will be occupying the large, vacant, street frontage along Woodward and Michigan avenues.
    Jim Pappas had wanted to make that a restaurant space, but couldn't turn down U of P's offer to build it out for their own.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...enter-in-first
    I know you have to protect information, but do you know if there has been any movement with the ground level retail space in the E&Y building on Campus Martius?

I think that spot is arguably even better than 1001 Woodward location wise [[I know they are neighbors, but I like it being linked to the heart of the CBD) and in a nice, new building. I'm surprised no restaurant has taken a whirl there before.

...and I just realized I've been asking a lot of questions in threads today.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Do you have any idea where we have up-to-date numbers of how many employees are downtown/percent of downtown office space used is now compared to, say, three years ago?
    No, I don't. DataDriven Detroit might have something, though. I was going off anecdotal information, i.e. Quicken et al, BCBS, two ad agencies, a design firm, and a bunch of smaller firms. My guess would be that the number of commercial tenants has increased from 3 years ago.

An educational institution is one of the very few alternative uses that I think would suit the Wayne County Building...

Don't put the cart before the horse.

Once the student loan bubble implodes within the next few years these unaccredited for-profit colleges will be history. University of Phoenix will likely be the main one to disappear. I also don't think a degree from these unaccredited for-profit diploma mills will do many Detroiters any good. Many employers now are going out of their way to blacklist degrees from University of Phoenix, Kaplan, etc. because they know the students aren't learning anything.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-30-11 at 03:42 PM.

YAY BING!

Downtown Detroit is quickly growing than I have expected.

If there was anything out there that could be repeated, believe me, I'd blog it. Cool space, but from what I've heard, it's pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    With their night classes, it may also be seen as a reason to stay open a little later by some restauranteurs.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Once the student loan bubble implodes within the next few years these unaccredited for-profit colleges will be history. University of Phoenix will likely be the main one to disappear. I also don't think a degree from these unaccredited for-profit diploma mills will do many Detroiters any good. Many employers now are going out of their way to blacklist degrees from University of Phoenix, Kaplan, etc. because they know the students aren't learning anything.
    I know plenty of people that have graduated from U of Phx that have gotten great jobs with their degree. Bachelors, Masters and PHD so, why are you the voice of doom? I think it's especially great for older, displaced workers. Student loans have to paid back attending U of D, Wayne, Eastern, so what's your point?
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-01-11 at 01:06 AM.

LOL! Don't even mention Kaplan, Everest and a few others.... Yeah education is BIG money and everyone wants a chunk: preschool, K-12 to post secondary!

Hmm, I was holding back to say anything, but yes U of P's accreditation is questionable in some circles. Some employers pay or endorse their students to go there and that may be sufficient and appropriated in that on-the-job-training context, but sometimes degrees or certs from schools like this do not hold the same weight for the 'new' job seeker as say an associates from a long standing community college.

There are many variables and outcomes to consider when applying to these schools: Cost, curriculum, accreditation and articulation. Working at a local community college I see students who've been obtained certs and degrees from some of these institutes, only to find out they've paid very high fees with little return and ultimately need to 'restart' or complete their education at a two or four-year fully accredited college or university.

The largest land mind of education are the fast-fix 'online' courses at some of these schools. For one these courses have a high failure rate [[they're often sold to, and perceived by new students as somehow easier when online training can actually be harder - requiring more self-motivation from the student).

Employers [[fairly or unfairly) weigh and judge where you received your education [[they have the option to be very selective), preferring the student with a degree or cert from a less questionable colleges and university over online options and even in-class education at some of these new institutions.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Last edited by Zacha341; July-01-11 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I know plenty of people that have graduated from U of Phx that have gotten great jobs with their degree. Bachelors, Masters and PHD so, why are you the voice of doom? I think it's especially great for older, displaced workers. Student loans have to paid back attending U of D, Wayne, Eastern, so what's your point?
    http://www.citizen-times.com/article...sey=nav%7chead

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06...deepening.html

http://news.yahoo.com/profit-college...213046035.html

The difference between for-profit schools and regionally accredited brick & mortar schools such as U of D, Wayne State and Eastern Michigan is their costs are not profit-driven, and since they're accredited the students will have a better chance of finding a job which can help them pay back the loans because their degrees won't be blacklisted.

That's not the say however the not-for-profit/accredited won't take a hit either when the student loan bubble does implode, especially with their growing dependency on student loans because of the austerity measures from the states. But they certainly won't be hit as bad as DeVry, Everest, University of Phoenix, where 90% of their revenue comes from student aid.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-01-11 at 07:21 AM.

I think any institution is what you make of it. If you put in the time and effort you can learn what you need to be successful in your field anywhere. Especially in Technology.

I disagree. I've worked with and talked to students who for example took IT and networking courses that were outdated [[non-standard, older scripting and hardware platforms etc). Or the actual teaching not in alignment with the course description. Some took classes where the instructor was not sufficiently trained [[not even a half-step ahead of the students) teaching classes.

It's crucial that you research the current industry standards [[especially re. technology and medical sciences - which seems to be the newest $$ buzz) to make sure your school of choice has appropriate alignment[[s) matching the standards in that area. Some of the more questionable schools count on the lack of education of their new students to get away with teaching out of date technology.

Don't believe everything a commission-paid 'recruiter' tells you.
    Talk to others who've attended the school. Investigate and compare rankings and success rates of the school - before you sign on the dotted line. Watch out for the 'hidden' fees too!

Quote Originally Posted by JROLLA View Post
    I think any institution is what you make of it. If you put in the time and effort you can learn what you need to be successful in your field anywhere. Especially in Technology.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-01-11 at 09:28 AM.

Too bad a U of P degree is about as useless as tits on a bull.

I have to echo 313WX's comment about U. of Phoenix being viewed as a diploma mill by the business community.

The last two companies I worked for didn't take degrees from there seriously.

One company would toss an applicant's resume in the trash if they listed U. of Phoenix as the school from which they earned their "degree".

The other company would still consider applicants with a U. of Phoenix "degree", but only for positions for which no degree was required [[so pretty much receptionists, customer services reps, and certain lower level sales positions).

Yep, with the job market as it an employer can easily segregate and dismiss the questionable school applicants out of hand. This is especially true for business, technology and medical sciences which many of these schools promote highly on their many tv commercials. A friend obtained a 'medical assistance' cert from a mill a few years back, paying quite a bit for it.

She quickly found it useless in obtaining a serious job, forcing a neccessary u-turn in her education. Thankfully, she just finished the pre-nursing program at a long-standing fully accredited community college well respected in that industry and is now on to a local university to become a surgical nurse. Alot of time and money was wasted before she got back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    I have to echo 313WX's comment about U. of Phoenix being viewed as a diploma mill by the business community.

One company would toss an applicant's resume in the trash if they listed U. of Phoenix as the school from which they earned their "degree".

The other company would still consider applicants with a U. of Phoenix "degree", but only for positions for which no degree was required [[so pretty much receptionists, customer services reps, and certain lower level sales positions).
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-01-11 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post

So, you're telling me that all the applicants that had a U of Phx degree were "pigeonholed" into lower ranked jobs because of where they acheived there degree? If they can prove it, sounds like a discrimination suit to me.

If they can prove it, sounds like a discrimination suit to me.
    Discrimination based on what? Merit? LOL

Just to weigh in here, I don't think 'every' company or employer discriminates against U of P.

As I stated earlier there are some companies that endorse and promote their staff to go there. Thus, it works out great for those individuals. Yet there are cases where employers choose one candidate over others based on where they obtain their education. Especially considering the job market. They have the option of being choosy these days, so any perceived advantage or disadvantage is going to be involved as they sift thru the piles and emails [[of resumes).

Ironically, often schools like U of P are not by default any cheaper than other schools without the 'questionable accreditation' you might as well attend another school.

That being said it IS the 'accelerated' short-semester systems that is the DRAW to these schools.

That system can kick the BUTT of some students who discover they CANNOT handle an accelerated schedule and really NEED the traditional 16 semester set up! And then some employers may question what was really learned in such a short span of time? Or some prefer the class room education over online, especially for some fields. You best KNOW these variables going in!

I'm not saying any of this fair or polite. But are factors to consider when making post secondary educational choices. Especially for the older adult student with little time or financial resources to waste!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-02-11 at 06:51 AM.

Others above have already mentioned it, but isn't this one of those mail order places?

Is that really something Detroit needs to be associated with?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Yeah, on merit Mr Sarcasm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast