Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Blondy in the News Again - But With a Twist

Liz probably doesn't like this publicity - and why should she?

See this Detroit News/Laura Berman article:

http://detnews.com/article/20110630/....-the-business

look, I'm very happy they decided to plant a garden but come the fuck on... it's a city lot if you want to have a say about what is done with it, BUY THE LOT. otherwise, STFU and let a business get it on the tax rolls again.

That is the problem with community gardens. They beautify and make productive a vacant lot, which then becomes attractive for investment. A solution might be to have the buyer pay for the improvements so another lot can be developed by the gardeners. The city could take the additional step of identifying a lot to be used.

I wonder where the gardeners were getting their water?

I agree with Bailey. But don't agree that the community garden, however verdant, was what attracted Blondy. Its clear it is the adjacent property to her current building and that is the source of the attraction. Why should she pay the gardeners who took a chance that no one would ever buy the land?
    Last edited by SWMAP; June-30-11 at 10:46 AM.

A solution might be to have the buyer pay for the improvements so another lot can be developed by the gardeners.
    I could be wrong on this, but I thought that both Blondy and the city attempted to find another lot for the garden, but the gardeners refused.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthofNormal View Post
    I could be wrong on this, but I thought that both Blondy and the city attempted to find another lot for the garden, but the gardeners refused.
    I'm pretty sure in the last article I read, she claimed she offered to pay to have a new lot converted into a garden. The gardeners refused. I guess there must be a dearth of vacant lots in Detroit all of a sudden. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I'm pretty sure in the last article I read, she claimed she offered to pay to have a new lot converted into a garden. The gardeners refused. I guess there must be a dearth of vacant lots in Detroit all of a sudden. Weird.
    If that's true, that's absolutely ridiculous. They are lucky she offered that. Squatters can't be choosers.

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    If that's true, that's absolutely ridiculous. They are lucky she offered that. Squatters can't be choosers.
    Here here. So the city sold the lot to Blondy for $12,500. Sims says he's been gardening on the land for 8 years. Assuming there are ten gardeners using the land [[a guess) that's about $150 a year to buy the land outright, per gardener [[plus city taxes and whatever). They seriously couldn't come up with that much cash? Hell, if they started a corporation to buy the land, they probably could have qualified for some tax credits or property tax breaks.

I saw "Civics and Subarus" and stopped reading.
    I guess people just take turns shitting in their own crate.

Isnt that part of the point of these community gardens, to bring in new ideas and buisness. Liz has done a great job, as her man has also with turning old buildings around into viable buildings. Yheres plenty of lots to garden. If a gardener thinks that a corner lot on a main drag isnt open to being bought and used their crazy, even in the Corridor. Blondys new business/building will bring in much more revenue for the Corridor/Detroit than a garden no matter how nice it is. Its not like shes some Landy type.

Im sure theres some way to come up with the cash to help move the raised beds and fencing. Dont get me wrong, I love all the gardens popping up in the city, I want to see more. I even tried one myself but my thumb isnt as green as Id like it to be.

I just getting back from Bangkok Detroit could learn some lessons from the Thai People everywhere I saw an empty lot there was a garden in it.

I wish Liz well, as she is someone who truly cares about Detroit.

It looks like the soils of Cass are growing sour grapes.

If the offer was made to assit in moving the garden I scream Bull-pucky. Actually, I scream Bull-pucky in any case. Look at a google earth view of the area- plenty of green vacant space.

"I was here first is not a legal precedent." It really looks like the gardeners are looking for somebody else to do the relocation work for them. sorry. you took your chances and it paid off for 8 years.

I'll play fictitious arbitrator...

Garden folks, finish your growing season. How about we have a great harvest celebration in late August? Big long table, some wine and foods grown in the garden. At that celebration we will unveil plans for Birdtown 2- just one block away. Birdtown 2 supported by a monetary donation made by Canne to Five and grants written by those with an interest in the garden.

As a urban farmer myself I hate to see a garden removed from the city. But I am also a person who takes his dog to Canine to Five. Liz is an example of what the city needs more of. She built a successful business in an area that few would dare tread. Not only has she succeeded at that but she is going to expand that business and hire more people. In addition she has championed the business community in Detroit and specifically in the Cass corridor which as we know is in desperate need of help. She has offered to assist new business owners pay rent if they moved into vacant buildings nearby. She did what I think many of us would think is impossible and got many people who simply work in or around downtown or midtown and then go back out to the burbs to start supporting local businesses here in the city. Then there are also the multitude of events that she arranges that promote areas in the city and get people to patronize local shops and restaraunts, and spend their leisure time here in the city. I applaud the guys who made birdtown into a successful garden but they have hardly done even a fraction in 8 years what Liz has done in the past few years. If she offered them assistance in building a new garden at another location and they turned her down then that is there own damn fault. Maybe what they would rather have happen is for her to pack up all of her business and move to another part of the city, or out of Detroit all together. Instead of this being a controversy I think the city leaders should be awarding her with recognition for everything she has done and pretty much bending over backwards to assist in her endeavors. As for the gardeners, if you garden on land that is not your own then you take the risk of being evicted in doing so, so don't bitch and moan. There are plenty of areas around the city so get a move on.

Ragnarok!

Well said.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    I saw "Civics and Subarus" and stopped reading.
    I guess people just take turns shitting in their own crate.
    I don't really know why she wrote that. I mean, I get the whole yuppie stereotype, but I guess she didn't see me there in my Detroit-made car.

This is such a no-brainer. Blondy is part of the solution. Squatting on land one doesn't own does nothing to improve the city tax base. The community gardeners did so for years. There are plenty of empty lots the gardeners can move on to. Perhaps they will have learned to buy the lot they settle on for their gardens.

I have been asked over the years whether or not this or that fabulous ruin should be torn down. I have always replied that I hoped not, hoped that they would instead be restored but if something was going to be built that would provide jobs for Detroiters and boost the economy, it was time to step aside. This is that situation and very little is being demolished.