Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Our Lady of Good Counsel, 1928-2011 Final Mass was June 19

I've searched for a thread on this topic and also looked in the News & Free Press for an article about the closing of Our Lady of Good Counsel on 6 Mile Rd. [[E.McNichols) I have been unsuccessful in finding anything noted about this closing. According to the St.Raymond website, the new parish will be called St.Raymond-Our Lady of Counsel with the St.Raymond Church on Joann[[Schoenherr & 8 Mile Rd.) being used.

http://saintraymond.com/

I thought that one of the largest and most vibrant parishes in Detroit from 1940's-1970's deserved a thread. I believe the current church opened around 1956-57. In the 50'-70's the parish seemed heavily Polish and Italian along with a number of Germans as well. For many years Our Lady of Good Counsel was a primary feeder school of boys for De La Salle Collegiate. Also, I believe many OLGC students attended St.Cyril for high school.

A link below shows the interior of the church.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/46521795@N07/5678511164/

The stained glass windows was perhaps the most noteworthy feature of the chuch. IMHO, the church wasn't as esthetically pleasing compared to Assumption Grotto, St. Matthew, St.Jude, St.Ambrose, and Nativity. However, the chuch was definitely a landmark on 6 Mile Rd.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; June-29-11 at 01:04 PM.

Is it related to the OLGC in Plymouth Twp?

Architecture wise, I think St. Raymond's looks nicer & has more of that old time church look to it. If this is your new parish, I think you'll like. I've known the folks there to be friendly. Although, I thought they'd been clustered & sharing a priest for 5-6 years already.
    BrushStart-I don't think it's related to the one in Plymouth. There are several parishes that have the same name in the AOD. For example, there's a St. Patrick's in Wyandotte, Detroit, & White Lake.