Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default First aid kit for a group motorcycle ride - ideas?

I am hoping that the collective big brain of DY can help me out. I am looking to update a medical first aid kit for a group motorcycle ride. Items need to be compact enough to fit in a small backpack. I am sure that I am missing some essential items, but this is what I have put together so far:

Sterile gauze pads
    Trauma pads and tape
    Band aids
    Burn cream
    Aspirin/ Ibuprofen
    Alcohol wipes
    Rubber gloves
    Insta cold compress
    Tweezers
    Scissors
    Splint
    Sling
    Antihistamine
    Eye patch
    Scalpel
    Silver survival blanket

Any suggestions are welcome and gratefully received.

Thera Tears? Sunscreen and aloe vera gel?

Wow and wow. First rate ideas Mikeg and Downtown Lady, thanks to you both. Hope it never has to be used. but better to have it available than not.

ever see those little "straws" of honey? honey is good as both an antibacterial and for stopping minor blood flows.

Where would I get those straws? I have never noticed them in the grocery.

Tampons for bullet wounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampon#History
    http://www.snopes.com/military/tampon.asp

I mean you could apply pressure, but you've got other things to worry about if you're in a fire fight.

Take a knowledge of CPR as well. If someone's not perfusing for about six minutes while you wait for EMS to come then they're more likely to have brain injury if revived or they'll just stay dead. More people die of heart attacks than anything else.

http://handsonlycpr.org/ They have phone apps on this website that probably have a metronome. Or you could just think of either the song Stayin' Alive or Another One Bites the Dust while you're doing it. Make sure to relieve all pressure on the chest when you come up as well so the atria can fill up.

Knives always come in handy too.

...and don't forget the helmet that can save you using a lot of that. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffy mimi View Post
    Where would I get those straws? I have never noticed them in the grocery.
    I've seen them in Meijer before, but it has been a while

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ...and don't forget the helmet that can save you using a lot of that. Have fun.
    This would have been funny if not so tragic: NY motorcyclist in helmet protest hits head, dies
    A man riding bareheaded on one of about 550 motorcycles in an anti-helmet law rally lost control of his cycle, went over his handlebars, hit his head on the pavement and died, police said Sunday.

The motorcyclist, 55-year-old Philip A. Contos, likely would have survived the accident if he'd been wearing a helmet, state troopers said....

A helmet that meets federal standards reduces the wearer's chances of being killed in an accident by more than 40 percent, said safety consultant Jim Hedlund, of the Governors Highway Safety Association.