Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wayne County Register of Deeds Office

Finally something positive about a government office located in the City of Detroit. I needed some informatiion about my deceased mother's property ilocated in Detroit. I took a chance and called the Register of Deeds office. Naturally I was expecting the phone to either ring forever or have to respond to a very long menu. Much to my surprise a live person answered after just two rings. Not only did she not have a major attitude for having to answer the phone but she was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. She answered all of my questions and thanked me for calling....

Glad you had a good experience with them... when my sister and I went downtown to the International Building [[on Monroe) to have a simple Quit Claim Deed completed while my mother was dying of cancer, it took several trips down there to get all the information we needed to fill out the form to be registered.

2 of the missing pieces of information for the Quit Claim Deed were some type of county/state numbers that they knew the answers to, but they said they couldn't give us... and we needed to get that information from a lawyer. We were stunned at such a lack of caring.. but since I had parked in Michigan Building parking structure, I went back and asked the building owner, a caring friend [[and lawyer), who knew one number off the top of his head, and looked up the other number for us in a matter of minutes.... thereby saving us a lot of time, frustration, and money.

The 3rd piece of information we got from a realty company and came back a second time with those figures.

MidTownMS.... maybe you should publish the government office number... because it sounds like you actually did get a caring county worker... perhaps a rarity in these parts!!
    Last edited by Gistok; June-29-11 at 03:43 PM.

Not being a spelling/terminology troll here...but just for FYI, it's "Quit Claim". not "quick".

Thanks Bailey, noted and corrected.... although with mom's downward spiral [[mercifully she was never in any pain).... at age 88 "quick" would have seemed more appropriate....

In defense of the Register of Deeds office, they are not there to prepare deeds for you. They are there to record your properly executed deeds.

The numbers you needed were probably the tax id numbers and they are available on your property tax bill.

The other thing you need is the legal description. WORD OF WARNING - Do not trust the legal description off your property tax bill, as they are often incomplete for purposes of a deed.

I've always found the work staff at the R of D's office to be very helpful. I just don't understand the "cash" only rule.