Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Olbermann Rescinds Charity Offer For Cowardly Hannity,

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/05/23/...harity-mancow/

Olbermann Rescinds Charity Offer For Cowardly Hannity, Donates $10K For Mancow’s Waterboarding

Last month on his Fox News show, torture enthusiast Sean Hannity claimed he would agree to be waterboarded “for charity…for the troops’s families.” MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann immediately took up Hannity’s pledge, offering $1,000 to charity for every second Hannity withstood waterboarding.
    Over the next 30 days, Hannity went completely silent on his pledge, opting not to go anywhere near the subject of waterboarding again. Olbermann repeatedly reminded Hannity of his pledge to donate to charity in his name, but to no avail.
    Last night on Countdown, Olbermann announced that he was rescinding the offer to Hannity, and instead giving $10,000 to charity following radio host Erich “Mancow” Muller’s waterboarding attempt. Olbermann promised to donate to the charity Veterans of Valor, founded by Sgt. Klay South, who administered the waterboarding to Muller. Olbermann revealed that Mancow’s publicist had contacted Olbermann’s show yesterday to see whether Olbermann would make a similar offer to Mancow as he did for Hannity:
    OLBERMANN: Mancow Muller had the guts to put his mouth where his mouth was, and the guts to admit he was dead wrong. As you saw, he not only said it is torture, but that he had nearly drowned as a boy, and it is drowning, and that he would have admitted to anything to make it stop.
    So the offer to the coward Hannity — a thousand dollars a second he lasted on the waterboard — is withdrawn.
    And to Mr. Muller, whose station’s publicity person contacted us yesterday saying she’d heard I’d offered ten thousand dollars to anybody who would do what he did –
    You got it. Ten thousand dollars to the military-families charity of the man who did the waterboarding, Veterans Of Valor. [...]
    As to Hannity, you are now unnecessary.
    Watch it:
    Olbermann also announced that Mancow will appear on his show next week.
    Transcript:
    This is where I normally remind Sean Hannity that it is so many days since I took him up on his offer to be waterboarded for charity, without any reply from him.
    But with today’s development, the point is moot.
    “Mancow Muller” had the guts to put his mouth where his mouth was, and the guts to admit he was dead wrong. As you saw, he not only said it is torture, but that he had nearly drowned as a boy, and it is drowning, and that he would have admitted to anything to make it stop.
    So the offer to the coward Hannity — a thousand dollars a second he lasted on the waterboard — is withdrawn.
    And to Mr. Muller, whose station’s publicity person contacted us yesterday saying she’d heard I’d offered ten thousand dollars to anybody who would do what he did…
    You got it. Ten thousand dollars to the military-families charity of the man who did the waterboarding, “Veterans Of Valor.”
    Mr. Muller will join us on this news hour next week. As to Hannity… you are now unnecessary.

That's because he doesn't want to be tortured.

ccbatson Guest

Nobody, accept maybe Navy seals, would choose to do this...that doesn't make it torture.

I would not choose to have surgery [[place any type you like in the blank) for no reason, that doesn't make it torture.

ccbatson Guest

We are talking about volunteering for these things in this case, not forcing them on anyone...caught up to the conversation now Slim?

ccbatson Guest

YOu must have missed the word "choose" in my post [[although you quoted the sentence with the word in it strangely?? Maybe you don't know what it means? Couldn't be).

ccbatson Guest

Again...makes no sense to you...no surprise to me. Everyone else who reads it will get it. I was just trying to be gracious and include you in the conversation...maybe next time you can play with the big kids.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Nobody, accept maybe Navy seals, would choose to do this...that doesn't make it torture.

I would not choose to have surgery [[place any type you like in the blank) for no reason, that doesn't make it torture.
    Would a brain transplant qualify?

Talk about filling in the blank!!

CCBatson, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I think that you are all missing an important point:
    There has been NO FURTHER hypocrisy from Hannity regarding the issue of waterboarding since his last act of hypocrisy. Is anyone surprised that the liberal media chooses to ignore this?
    Last edited by barnesfoto; May-24-09 at 01:26 AM. Reason: grammur

Yet another serious issue turned into a partisan argument.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Yet another serious issue turned into a partisan argument.
    Did anyone else watch the Mancow vid? Or was I the only one??? This was done in controlled circumstances and Mancow had his safety toy to throw. The true experience would be to be grabbed and hooded on the street, driven to several places before settling down to cold rooms, extreme sleep deprivation, stress positions, and physical and psychological brutality, and then waterboarded for 30 seconds at a time - not seven. For 183 times, over the period of a month. After that "Mancow" would confess to being the pilot of Flight 93.

How many days has it been since Sean Hannity said he'd be waterboarded for charity? And he'd get a safety toy too.

Blarf Guest

I'm not a fan of Olberman, but I applaud him for donating a generous amount of money for a good cause.

On the flip side, Hannity should stop being a pussy a get waterboarded already. Even Christopher Hitchens has gotten in on the action.

Don't get high on your own supply.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Did anyone else watch the Mancow vid? Or was I the only one??? This was done in controlled circumstances and Mancow had his safety toy to throw. The true experience would be to be grabbed and hooded on the street, driven to several places before settling down to cold rooms, extreme sleep deprivation, stress positions, and physical and psychological brutality, and then waterboarded for 30 seconds at a time - not seven. For 183 times, over the period of a month. After that "Mancow" would confess to being the pilot of Flight 93.

How many days has it been since Sean Hannity said he'd be waterboarded for charity? And he'd get a safety toy too.
    Are you somehow refuting that waterboarding [[like global warming, etc etc etc) being torture or not is roughly "decided" along partisan lines as I stated?

Democrats automatically say its torture. Republicans automatically say it isnt [[until they experience it).

Democrats automatically say global warming is in part due to man. Republicans say it isnt.

Partisans are destroying America. They care more about party than the nation. They refuse to think.

Are you somehow refuting that waterboarding [[like global warming, etc etc etc) being torture or not is roughly "decided" along partisan lines as I stated?

Democrats automatically say its torture. Republicans automatically say it isnt [[until they experience it).

Democrats automatically say global warming is in part due to man. Republicans say it isnt.

Partisans are destroying America. They care more about party than the nation. They refuse to think.
    I wasn't refuting you. To me, torture is what the law says it is. If inflicting severe emotional and psychological trauma while refraining from causing great bodily harm is considered torture, then by all means it's torture. It's also unethical, and immoral. A country that claims to be a beacon of freedom for the tired and oppressed around the world should by no means engage in these types of activities.

To me it isn't a partisan thing, it is a humane and compassionate thing. It just goes to show you that most conservatives compassion only extends as far as a certain tax bracket of white Americans.

I couldn't agree with you more. Too many people have only voted based on party for far too long. I've lived in 4 states over the last 20 years and while I find that to happen all over to some extent, amazingly it is much worse in the Detroit area than any of the other places I've lived.

Simply put.....a divided populace is easier to control....

ccbatson Guest

I disagree..a single minded populace [[an oppressed one) is historically the easiest to control.

EXACTLY....that's why the republicrites were in power for so long....

ccbatson Guest

The key descriptor is an OPPRESSED single minded populace...Conservatives rabidly fighting for individual liberty are anti oppression.

Did you notice that you just contradicted yourself 180 degrees Stylin [[#22 versus #24)?

Conservatives rabidly fighting for individual liberty are anti oppression.
    And which conservatives are those? the ones fighting for a woman's right to control her own body? The ones fighting for all people to have the right to love and marry the person with whom they fall in love? The right of people to have equal access to jobs, justice, etc?

ah. I see. the conservatives fighting for the rights of the rich and powerful to control the lives of everyone else through access to jobs, etc

RB, You hit a home run with that post.

It sure doesn't look like fun by ANY means. How anyone can call it anything less than torture is beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUkj9pjx3H0

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    And which conservatives are those? the ones fighting for a woman's right to control her own body? The ones fighting for all people to have the right to love and marry the person with whom they fall in love? The right of people to have equal access to jobs, justice, etc?

ah. I see. the conservatives fighting for the rights of the rich and powerful to control the lives of everyone else through access to jobs, etc
    If there was a telling moment, a crossroad, in our recent history, it was the passage of President Bush's Wall Street bailout. Democrats did not significantly differenciate themselves from Republicans in that vote. If there ever was a vote to fight " for the rights of the rich and powerful to control the lives of everyone", that was it. The rich won that one.

People can already love whomever they choose but marriage has restrictions. If government, as much as possible, eliminated its involvement with marriage, then people could choose not only between marrying a man or woman but cousins, incestuous relationships, and multiple partner options could also be options. Marriage could be whatever individuals wanted it to be. Liberals are actually pretty conservative in this arena too as they only support gay marriage while discriminating against other loving options.

Regarding a woman's right to control her own body, I presume you also mean women's right to control the body of her embryo. I didn't think that you were referring to women's right to pick and choose which drugs and vitamins women may ingest. The DIA, FDA, and pharmaceutical companies still determines that for women [[ and men). In most states, there are also laws prohibiting assisted suicide. Some, in government even want to force men and women into involuntary servitude programs. So much for choices about how we are allowed to use our bodies. Overall, I would consider the restrictions on the uses of our bodies, including women's right to eliminate their embryos, a tie between liberals and conservatives although each group is partial different restrictions.

I'm glad someone finally called out Hannity's cowardice. Knuckle heads like him do this country a disservice because, as stated above, a large number pf Americans are simple minded people. They cannot think for themselves, preferring to latch onto the ditto head nation wagon, and Olberman has exposed one of their Messiah's as the fraud that he is.
    I'm pretty sure National Guard no-show Bush and draft dodger Cheney wouldn't undergo water boarding either, as both are known cowards as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast