Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Shorpy again: Griswold & Fort, 1906

I would give anything to go back to that day and just walk around this scene! One of the best Shorpy Detroit photos ever!

http://www.shorpy.com/node/10710?size=_original

That is tremendous. What is the direction of the view? Is it looking south down Griswold toward the river?

That building on the corner was torn down to be build for National Bank of Detroit Building than Bank One Building now Chase Bank Building until Dan Gilbert brought the building for the 'Gilbertown' Area.

I found a c.1878 ad for the People's Savings Bank [[auf Deutsch) and I successfully got it posted in the Shorpy comments.

Catch the "Old English D" on Peoples Savings Bank bldg!

Did you see the very short man on street corner on the bottom right? He looks like he's wearing a suit several sizes too big, and is possibly a midget. I love the hats.

The short man in question appears to be sitting on something, possibly a fire hydrant. The hose connections to the fire hydrant are what's making his clothes look bigger and bulky. Also, note that he has one hand in his pocket and the fact that his feet are in the street. For these reasons I believe he is actually leaning again a fire hydrant. All of that would give him the appearance of being short and his clothes looking too big for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    That is tremendous. What is the direction of the view? Is it looking south down Griswold toward the river?
    Yes, that is looking southish towards the river. Like Danny said, the Hammond Building is on the left, which means the camera was placed in front of what would soon be the Dime Building. Yep, Gilbertville, Quickenland, Fatheadburg, Loanaville ...

So am I right that the right corner would be where the Penobscot Building is today?

Seriously, where do they find these pictures? They are totally fascinating.

Horse-drawn carriages, wagons, electric traction streetcars, automobiles, trucks, at least five bicycles, and plenty of pedestrians. That's what I call transportation options. The lady with the baby is either waiting for the streetcar to pass or is waiting to board. I'm glad the new train will have actual stations instead of having to stand in the street to board like the old DSR. I can hear a ragtime version of "Run It Down The Middle" playing in the background.

I do enjoy these photos very much. Are there any photos of the GAR building in one of these old pics?

That's another great find Ray.
    I ran across these two the other day when I was looking for some train information. Not sure if you've posted these before. The comments below the photo explain what happened, I think.
    http://www.shorpy.com/node/7836?size=_original
    http://www.shorpy.com/node/7837?size=_original

I don't think "Die Volks Spar Kasse" was very popular after the first world war.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    I don't think "Die Volks Spar Kasse" was very popular after the first world war.
    Your timing is off - not "after", "during".

In the USA during 1917-1918, all things German were were considered subversive and were overtly suppressed, often by force of law.

Quote Originally Posted by DinNC View Post
    I do enjoy these photos very much. Are there any photos of the GAR building in one of these old pics?
    Haven't come across any yet, DinNC. I'm saving all the photos of old Detroit to a file in my computer; have about 43 of them so far.

Old guy.....Yeah, I saw those, but didn't post them. Thought they were too general to make the effort, but they are interesting, to say the least. Reminds me of the movie, "Silver Streak".