Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Meijer Thrifty Acres

This would be the newspaper article that relates to what I'm talking about
    Would be the first major retail of any sort to commit to Detroit in a warm moment. I think that IF it comes to pass it will work out there. The nearest Meijer Im aware of is in Birmingham. Cant think of a nearby Walmart or Target. I really dont condone these big box stores in principal but they do create jobs and are everything is cheap.

What about the dozen or so Family Dollars that were built within the City Limits over the lest 5-10 years? If each store was an average of 18k sq/ft then that would be the size of a Miejers alone, not to mention that since these are neighborhood sized stores, they can draw from a much larger population base.

Thrifty Acres? Were you captured by Peabody and Sherman and put into the way-back machine? There is no Meijer in Birmingham, are you tinking of Royal Oak, and the closest to the City Limits is in Allen Park. Kmart has a superstore within the City Limits already and its just down the street. Home Depot has a store too. Even Walmart across from that is a Target have stores just outside the City Limits near Warrendale. Therefore there are currently examples of these big box retailers in and around the City.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-28-11 at 07:19 AM.

didn't make the thread to argue but really now... Lighten up or light up or whatever.
    Yea theres a super Kmart down at Telegraph. Sure, theres the Home Depot down thats
    not that far from there. All I really said is i thought the store would make it there at 8
    and Woodward. Nobodys said anything about family dollar. I Made the thread in case
    some people wanted to make friendly convo about the topic. City of Detroit constitutes
    a big piece of real estate. Home Depot and KMart aside over the last several decades
    with a few exceptions major chains have elected to not build within city limits. And this is
    when the economy was better, there were more residents, and they had more money.

My point is that so many folks are looking for the next big thing they forget that we already have stuff. We are far from a perfect retail environment but it is out there. We should not discount those who have already come into the market.

Plans call for about 40 shops, each between 5,000 and 10,000 square feet, offering "medium to upscale discount" shopping, he said.
    There will be no dollar stores in the mix. Nor will there be a central food court or fast-food outlets. Instead, the mall will offer casual family dining along the lines of Red Lobster or Applebee's, Schrott said.

McDonald's...theres one @ 7/woodward. guess they dropped the ball on that one...

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    McDonald's...theres one @ 7/woodward. guess they dropped the ball on that one...
    And one on Woodward in Ferndale, and one on 8 Mile & Dequindre.

"Upscale discount"? That supposed to mean something?

Welcome to the neighborhood, Meijers! We used to call it "Shifty Takers" instead of "Thrifty Acres"

Yes. It is a retail category where you are selling higher quality [[at least in theory) goods at discount prices. The prototype was Target. Tuesday Morning is another that explicitly calls itself "upscale discount". Mens Wearhouse doesn't call itself that, but it is. Costco is in there too.

Yo Meijer's, Don't end up like Kroger's.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Reminds me of the old Herpolsheimer's department store in downtown GR. They had a "Fashion Basement". Even as a kid, I wondered who would put the fashionable stuff in the basement?

And as for using the "Thrifty Acres" name, thanks Autoracks. I will join you with Peabody and Sherman in the time machine. The original Thrifty Acres was in my neighborhood in GR.

While not the biggest fan of big box stores, I do use them myself and if this comes to pass at least it will be a MICHIGAN firm.

Hopefully they have come up with a workable plan that will keep the high degree of shoplifting that is going to occur at these stores to a minimum.

If not, it could not only threaten the success of these stores, but could also scare away other big box chains away from Detroit for another decade or two.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Hopefully they have come up with a workable plan that will keep the high degree of shoplifting that is going to occur at these stores to a minimum.

If not, it could not only threaten the success of these stores, but could also scare away other big box chains away from Detroit for another decade or two.
    clothing free shopping.

Great news from Meijers!

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post

Police it. No, seriously, police it. Surveillance, etc. What are the smaller stores doing right? They need to figure out how to scale it up.

But seriously, while I'm happy to hear this, this is barely inside Detroit. When I see a Target going up on the Hudson's site, I'll be happy...

Plans call for 40 shops?
    I'll be surprised if this developement ever becomes a reality.
    This guy talking about 40 shops makes me question its viability even more.
    It sounds like he's got his BS machine working overtime.

I hope it doen't end up like the Belliare Plaza further down 8 mile.

If....If the plan comes to fruition it will look a damn sight better than that empty field thats sitting there now. A stark comparison to the Del Lido or whatever that classy joint is named. Aahahahahah i remember some time back some crazed looking lady ran out the front of that place, middle of the night. She almost got ran over by a pickup then proceded to hurdle the guard rail like a damn trackstar
    Last edited by Autoracks; June-29-11 at 01:55 PM. Reason: memories