Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tri-Centennial Park progress

Some photos from this past week of the progress of the Tri-Centennial State Park expansion, between Rivard Plaza and the current Tri-Centennial park and marina. These were taken from the Rivard Dock aboard the M/V Diamond Belle. Things look to be coming along nicely.

Attachment 1340

Attachment 1341

Attachment 1342

Holy Crap man! When did that all happen. What a difference a year makes. I can't wait to go to the marina again for the air races.

Thats a lot of Progress!!!

I was checking this out today, what a perfect evening it was on the river! Can't wait until this gets completed.

Hey experts, will the River Walk be integrated into Tricentennial Park? Maybe it already has? I have not been there since last summer.

Any 411 about the two projects???

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Hey experts, will the River Walk be integrated into Tricentennial Park? Maybe it already has? I have not been there since last summer.

Any 411 about the two projects???
    Check out the riverfront conservancy's website for your answers.

Check out this link for more info:
    http://www.michigandnr.com/Publicati...ing/TSPH2.html.

It has more detail than the Conservancy website.

Note that the DNR link you provided shows the conceptual plans. The resulting Tri-Centennial additions will be slightly different due to factors such as cost, public input, land availability, and reality.

Even still, I got a tour of the construction site during the Dequindre Cut opening and I was very impressed. It's going to be a major addition to the RiverWalk.

Unfortunately it won't be open until the end of summer. The DNR wants to make sure the native vegetation has a chance to take root before introducing visitors. They also will still be building the bike path on the north side of the property during that time.

And similarly, the DNR will be trying to keep out geese during the summer to prevent them from feasting on the freshly planted native vegetation. Once the grasses and vegetation grow in, the geese should find it less inviting. The snapping turtles and fox should keep geese at bay as well.

Dumb question, but did GM chip in for this specific expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Dumb question, but did GM chip in for this specific expansion?
    Not that I'm aware of. This park expansion is being funded through a variety of different public grants with some private funding [[e.g. Stroh family.)

Id rather have to wait a couple of months and have it be nicer! so the wait for the native vegetation to root is ok by me. .

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Scott View Post
    The snapping turtles and fox should keep geese at bay as well.
    Say what?!? Fox are incredibly shy animals. I've only been able to see one once by my cabin and I know its native to the area. Snapping turtles? Just wait till 'lil junior reaches into the pond, they will be hunted down like Frankenstien's monster.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Say what?!? Fox are incredibly shy animals. I've only been able to see one once by my cabin and I know its native to the area. Snapping turtles? Just wait till 'lil junior reaches into the pond, they will be hunted down like Frankenstien's monster.
    The DNR may be optimistic on fox returning. Time will tell.

They have set up large boulders in the wetland demonstration area for the turtles to sun on. I suspect watching the turtles will be an instant hit for kids on the RiverWalk.

dexterferry Guest

I've seen several red foxes in Detroit [[one pair, one solo) .

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Scott View Post
    The DNR may be optimistic on fox returning. Time will tell.

They have set up large boulders in the wetland demonstration area for the turtles to sun on. I suspect watching the turtles will be an instant hit for kids on the RiverWalk.

I don't think you're talking about snappers. These things are huge, mean and live in the muck of riverbeds.

On my last trip to the River Walk, maybe Labor Day 2007 - I am pretty sure I saw a coyote trotting across Atwater St, or whichever street you take to the Tricentennial park entrance. I have seen many road-kill coyotes and the animal I saw was pretty much the same height and build with a long bushy tail and gray-rust coloring.

Snappers do like to sun themselves as well as other turtles