Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Can we please move the fireworks to Friday night next year?

Since moving to Toledo 3 years ago, my work schedule has prevented me from attending the Detroit fireworks. If they were held on a Friday or Saturday night there would be a lot more people coming to visit and spend money in the city. The people who have caused trouble in the past probably aren't working anyways, so if they want to come they'll show up regardless of when the fireworks are held. Thoughts?

yeah Monday is like wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    Since moving to Toledo 3 years ago, my work schedule has prevented me from attending the Detroit fireworks. If they were held on a Friday or Saturday night there would be a lot more people coming to visit and spend money in the city. The people who have caused trouble in the past probably aren't working anyways, so if they want to come they'll show up regardless of when the fireworks are held. Thoughts?
    It's always on a weeknight and attendance seems like the least of the problems.

Furthermore, I think it prevents rowdiness.

Amen on the move to Friday night!

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Furthermore, I think it prevents rowdiness.
    Really, I mean, does it? Because all the gang-bangers have to get up early for the 9 - 5? Leave yourself some extra time, fellas, I-94 eastbound is a mess in the morning.

The Monday thing drives me crazy, too. Yeah, I would like to get rowdy, but in a law-abiding sort of way, and last I checked there was nothing illegal about drinking and fucking. Oh yeah, except, unlike many people in this town, I have a normal job that I plan on keeping. It seems like if anything the weekday thing is keeping us folks with jobs and responsiblities from enjoying it.

I won't be partying tonight, but I'm sure plenty of nefarious folks will be rolling out of bed at about 6pm to get the festivities started.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Really, I mean, does it? Because all the gang-bangers have to get up early for the 9 - 5? Leave yourself some extra time, fellas, I-94 eastbound is a mess in the morning.

The Monday thing drives me crazy, too. Yeah, I would like to get rowdy, but in a law-abiding sort of way, and last I checked there was nothing illegal about drinking and fucking. Oh yeah, except, unlike many people in this town, I have a normal job that I plan on keeping. It seems like if anything the weekday thing is keeping us folks with jobs and responsiblities from enjoying it.

I won't be partying tonight, but I'm sure plenty of nefarious folks will be rolling out of bed at about 6pm to get the festivities started.
    I agree that it sucks that a lot of working folks aren't able to see it, but for some reason, it seems like nighttime events that occur on weeknights are much more controlled and even-keeled. I like my share of rowdiness too, but what I worry about is fights, gunshots, and stampeding crowds. For some reason, people get especially stoned and crazy on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    For some reason, people get especially stoned and crazy on the weekends.
    Miller Time dude! This is when us "Weekend Warriors" get to work.

Seriously...how fucked up do you people need to get to enjoy some fireworks? It starts at 10 and it's 23 minutes long. I mean what time do you folks need to be in bed so you can make it to work by 9 or whatever? Factor in some traffic and walk time and you're home by 1230? Unless, of course you live north of the palace or at 35 mile and romeo plank or something...then fuck you for living in the sprawl, you deserve to miss it.
    Last edited by bailey; June-27-11 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Seriously...how fucked up to you people need to get to enjoy some fireworks? It starts at 10 and is over by 1035. Factor in some traffic and walk time and you're home by 1230? Unless, of course you live north of the palace or at 35 mile and romeo plank or something...then fuck you for living in the sprawl, you deserve to miss it.
    Detroit needs people who don't live there to spend money within it's borders. If I still lived at Harper and Morang, I would certainly make the voyage tonight,. Unfortunately, Michigan's job market has forced me across the state line, which is close enough for me to come on a Friday or Saturday but not on a Monday. Hell, I might've even rented a hotel room for the night.

I always thought it had to do with not wanting the tunnel closed on a holiday weekend. Friday is Canada Day and Monday is the 4th so lots of traffic moving both ways this weekend.

It's in my backyard and I like that it is on a weeknight but mostly because I think it catches the roustabouts off-guard. I usually see lots of families and that's a great thing but definitely a night worth keeping your awareness up.

DetroitPole Guest

Seriously...how fucked up do you people need to get to enjoy some fireworks? It starts at 10 and it's 23 minutes long. I mean what time do you folks need to be in bed so you can make it to work by 9 or whatever? Factor in some traffic and walk time and you're home by 1230? Unless, of course you live north of the palace or at 35 mile and romeo plank or something...then fuck you for living in the sprawl, you deserve to miss it.
    Some of us have to be to work even earlier, and make decisions that have an impact on other people. Can't do it on little sleep.

Not wanting to bounce at 10:23 doesn't make me a total hedonist, in my opinion. You should look into moving to Iran or Saudi Arabia; you won't have to get angry about people having fun there.

12:30am is pretty late when you're up at 5:00am every morning. I, too, would be more inclined to attend if it were a Friday. I work in Midtown, but wanted to get out of there as soon as possible today.

Why not Saturday? Or Sunday? My problem with any work day, when I worked downtown was...I still had to go home and get my son to take him...so I meant taking time off work...a couple of hours anyway...to drive home to the burbs, pick up my son and scramble back downtown before they closed the freeways. Two or three hours of pay lost meant a lot to me back then. And then it was very late by the time I got home, and I had to be up and out of the house by 6:30am the next morning.

I did it...because my son and I both love fireworks..but the older I got the more of a drag it became to go through it all.

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    Couldn't agree more, closer to the 4th of July please.

Yeah it is a bit weird this far away but there are others thru out the tri-county over the next week. I usually do the one in Royal Oak and Dearborn at the HF Museum which are closer to the 4th if not on the 4th!
    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post

We here in the Downriver community in Wyandotte, did have fireworks on Friday this year.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I think our friends across the river would gently remind you that there is also another holiday being celebrated with these fireworks - Canada Day on July 1st.

Hah. That took longer than I thought for the "why aren't the fireworks on the 4th?" comment to come, but it came, like always!

The freedom fest fireworks used to happen closer to both holidays back in the 80's I think. Sometimes it would be on June 30th and other times it would be sandwiched in between them like on July 2nd.

I think there was plenty of people downtown tonight, moving it to the weekend would just bring out more people which I think would be tougher to control the crowds.

Some of us have to be to work even earlier, and make decisions that have an impact on other people. Can't do it on little sleep.
    It's one night a year. And life isnt fair. If it's THAT important to you to see them, you'd make time.

Not wanting to bounce at 10:23 doesn't make me a total hedonist, in my opinion. You should look into moving to Iran or Saudi Arabia; you won't have to get angry about people having fun there.
    I'm not angry about people having fun...I'm all about the fun.. I'm commenting on little whiny bitches that want the entire fucking world to conform entirely to their schedule because they either can't stay up past 10pm on a school night because they need a solid 10 hours of sleep or they'd be cranky the next day or they simply can't enjoy a fireworks display without getting so fucked up and rowdy it's impossible for them to even consider going to work the next day.

Is it impossible to go to the party, have a couple cocktails, go to bed a little later than normal and be a little tired the next day and NOT get fired...or kill someone...or die?

Look, attendance was claimed to be at about 1 million. There were two gun fights outside the ren cen, right in the center of it all, with two admitted to the hospital with gunshot wounds... on a monday night. And that is what made it to the papers...can only imagine what didn't get reported.* Attendance is the least of the problems so there is no reason to move it so "more" people can go....so they can be totally off the hook and rowdy and shit all over detroit before they hit I75 north.

*apparently initial reports were sensationalized...freep has changed its story. Nothing to see here, just a 14 yr old who DROPPED HIS GUN and shot himself and a bystander.
    Last edited by bailey; June-28-11 at 07:57 AM.

Nurse? Doctor?

Bailey, you are on point in this thread. My thoughts exactly.

Some people wonder why we don't have the 'works on the Fourth. I want some of what they're smoking. A holiday is WORSE than a weekend for attendance/rowdiness/drunken debauchery.

*apparently initial reports were sensationalized...freep has changed its story. Nothing to see here, just a 14 yr old who DROPPED HIS GUN and shot himself and a bystander.
    Most of the gunplay lately seems to be teenagers. Sigh.