Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Guardian Building Lobby/Promenade well worth a visit

Was staying downtown this weekend and walked in to check it out. I was totally in awe. It was like a church cathedral in there! And the colors too! Anyone in the area stop in an grab some pics. Well worth it!

... they don't call it the "Cathedral of FInance" for nothing... been taking tourists down there for decades... the Rookwood and Pewabic Tiles in that place are probably worth more than most buildings in downtown....

I stop in there at least once a week on my daily run around town...just to have my mind blown.

Don't mean to threadjack, but besides the Guardian, what other buildings downtown have public access that are absolutely must sees inside? I'm planning on walking around downtown one day in the near future just to check things out and would like some suggestions where to stop. The Guardian will be number one on that list.

Well, it's not downtown, but I would say the Fisher Building in New Center would be a must see.

Stromberg2

360 Cities has a couple of 360° images of the lobby:
    You can also view these in Google Earth by checking the Gallery/360Cities layer.

Ya I know it's been mentioned here before too. Just had to brag about my experience. Pictures DO NOT do the place justice.
    Is the Penobscot worth a walk in? Is this the building that they hung floors in the grand lobby space blocking it off?

While not near the Guardian, not too far away is the church my family belongs to. Sweetest Heart of Mary on Russell & Canfield. It's just amazing inside, especially around Christmas time.

strong second on the fisher building! Not in the CBD but definitely worth hitting.

Its every bit as impressive as the guardian in a different way. Check out the elevator doors in the lobby while you're there. There's a coffee shop and some other cool little businesses in the fisher so you have an excuse to loiter a bit.

The Penobscott has nice glossy flooring but the interior is not as colorful as the Guardian. The former GM Headquarters is a must see but you could only go so far. As far as churches, St John St Luke which sits behind the candles and incense store on the corner of Russell and Gratiot [[southeast corner) is a must see. Very airy and spacious inside. Opens only on Sundays at 10:30am

Soaring interiors downtown would include Compuware HQ, the RenCen and more historically the International Center at Greektown.

Other beautifiul interiors are the closed David Whitney Building, and the former Silvers Building. Also didn't the Book Tower have a nice lobby [[sans the drop ceiling)?

If you like ecclesiastical architecture, St. Mary's in Greektown and St Aloysius on Washington Blvd. are well worth a visit. Both are open around lunchtime.

And as JROLLA wrote, Sweetest Heart of Mary is amazing. I don't know if it's open daily, however.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    If you like ecclesiastical architecture, St. Mary's in Greektown and St Aloysius on Washington Blvd. are well worth a visit. Both are open around lunchtime.

And as JROLLA wrote, Sweetest Heart of Mary is amazing. I don't know if it's open daily, however.
    If we are swelling out a bit, St. Joe's is also gorgeous.

And, if taking a trip from downtown to the Fisher building, stop at the Maccabees along the way.