Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default We are going to have a La Nina Summer

In Michigan we will get some storms at least 4 days a week. Temperatures will ranging from near 90 degrees for 2 days at a time to upper 70s for 3 days at a time. No major long heat wave in that state. THAT'S GOOD NEWS! Drier conditions and possible long drought will occur in all the south there will be smaller forest fires in most Dixieland States. Florida and parts of South Carolina, Southern Georgia will recieve spotty showers and thunderstorms al least 3 days a week. There will be a major heat wave from the upper Rockies of Idaho, Eastern Washington all the way down to Arizona, New Mexico. All of Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and California will experience a days of severe drought until the summer monsoon season starts. But this Monsoon season will be short. The Midwestern States will recieve more severe storms and tornadoes at least 4 days every week due the uplifting jet stream from the Pacific Northwest to Southern Canada then it clips down to the Midwestern Heartland to the eastern seaboard. The rest of the New England States will recieve showers and lesser thunderstorms later in the week. There will be more wildfires thoughout the western states. California will be next on the wildfire list come July and August. Californian MUST prepare for this fire season. Due to La Nina's control over oceanic temperatures in the Mid Atlantic region. There will be less hurricanes coming to Caribean Islands and the U.S. THAT'S VERY GOOD NEWS until early September.
    Last edited by Danny; June-27-11 at 08:26 AM.

Any Thoughts?

I don't go for long-range forecasts, Danny. They're interesting, but due to atmospheric chaos, I don't think next months' weater can be told even in generalities. Just give me some nice weather the last two weeks of August for my MI trip, will ya?

La Nina decided to make the South Pacific her home for a while. Therefore in Michigan, a possible La Nina Autumn where temperatures remain milder and cooler until late December. A possible La Nina Winter where temperatures plummet to below freezing and more Winter Storms at least 2 per week and 4 blizzard warnings from Mid January to Late March.

Is this a prophecy or are you quoting some source?

part prophecy, but I trust Danny's weather predictions. He totally nailed one of those huge winter storms, days before any of the news outlets and weather sites, just by looking at some of the data that's out there.

Remember the hot summer of '88 in SE Mich? I sho do. If I recall right, Detroit had 10 0r 12 days of 100F temps over two months, a highly usual weather phenomenon, but short of a summer record for heat.

What is Detroit's annual rainfall total, around 32 inches?

Al Publican.... last summer was pretty hot.... I hope this year is like 2009, which was a rather cool summer [[mostly 70s).

Keeping utility bills low, and windows open is nice!

Danny's been very accurate. I look forward to his posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Al Publican.... last summer was pretty hot.... I hope this year is like 2009, which was a rather cool summer [[mostly 70s).

Keeping utility bills low, and windows open is nice!
    I was telling my neighbor the other day that it looks like we will get the summer of 2009 in 2011. Last year was hot as hell but 09 was great in regards to the number of times we hit 90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Remember the hot summer of '88 in SE Mich? I sho do. If I recall right, Detroit had 10 0r 12 days of 100F temps over two months, a highly usual weather phenomenon, but short of a summer record for heat.

What is Detroit's annual rainfall total, around 32 inches?
    There were 5 100 degree days in 1988. 1 in June, 3 in July, 1 in August. It really wasn't that humid until late July onwards.

There has only been 1 100 degree day since [[July 14, 1995 --- by far, the most brutal day I can remember in Detroit).

33 inches of precipitation is the norm.
    Last edited by MrNittany; June-29-11 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNittany View Post
    There were 5 100 degree days in 1988. 1 in June, 3 in July, 1 in August. It really wasn't that humid until late July onwards.
    I remember the summer of 1988 very well because it's the summer I had a paper route, which of course was to deliver the News in the afternoon. The only saving grace is that most of my deliveries were at an apartment complex that had a pool that I could jump into after I was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post

Yes, I experienced it,too. It was caused by El Nino. It pushed the jet steam further north to Canada. Than a big dome a high pressure formed from the midwest. It grew super large and moved very slowly to the northwest. High pressure dome trapped a lot of water prevent more cloud forming convection. The water evaporated, but stay as free water vapor. Then it became an instant greenhouse gas trapping heat making the enviroment hot , muggy and very humid. Michigan was effected by the great heat wave of 1988. Lot's of people were driving indoors and some to basements. Cooling centers was used and lots of people are suffered heat strokes and dehydration. It was the worse heat wave since the last one on 1987. From 1984 to 1990 El Nino stayed over the South Pacific until it moved back to its orginal spot. By 1990s to 1998 We have a normal winter until La Nina came. Metro-Detroit area sought warmer temperatures in Mid December and quick below freezing by the first day of Winter. By January of 1999 La Nina dump over 2 and half feet of snow causing all travel in Metro-Detroit area to grind to halt. Detroit was ill prepared for this event for snow removal.

A scorching 99 degrees at Detroit Metro on Saturday ...... just barely missed 100 on the hottest day since 8-8-2001.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNittany View Post
    A scorching 99 degrees at Detroit Metro on Saturday ...... just barely missed 100 on the hottest day since 8-8-2001.
    It is freaking miserable out there, thank God for A/C.

Temperatures will ranging from near 90 degrees for 2 days at a time to upper 70s for 3 days at a time. No major long heat wave in that state.
    Guess this prediction was a little off. When will this heat wave end Danny?

Yeah, like super way off. why does anyone believe these long-range forecasts? It's like a horoscope, sure read it long enough and now and then it will be right.

But the vegetable garden is doing well, Except tomatoes - the plants are huge but the tomatoes are few and far between.

I give thumbs up to the heat wave though. And I have no AC at home.

Stream Prophets gave this info?

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    But the vegetable garden is doing well, Except tomatoes - the plants are huge but the tomatoes are few and far between.

I give thumbs up to the heat wave though. And I have no AC at home.
    I don't have air conditioning at home, either. It can be a tough transition from an office kept chilly for the benefit of multiple office machines to the sultry soggy outdoors. Like hitting a physical wall going in either direction.

My tomato plants are ridiculously tall [[picture below. The guy with his arm up is 5'6" and this pic was snapped 2 weeks ago - they're appreciably taller now). Peering among the trunks of these giants, we have a major-league bumper crop of tomatoes that look pretty healthy so far. Very glad we likes 'maters.

.Name:  07-09-11 doug.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  62.0 KB