Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default TSA Goes Down to the Diapers of Elderly Woman....

TSA Stands By Officers After Pat-Down Of Elderly Woman In Florida

....While going through security, the 95-year-old was taken by a TSA officer into a glassed-in area, where a pat-down was performed, Weber said. An agent told Weber "they felt something suspicious on [[her mother's) leg and they couldn't determine what it was" -- leading them to take her into a private, closed room.

Soon after, Weber said, a TSA agent came out and told her that her mother's Depend undergarment was "wet and it was firm, and they couldn't check it thoroughly." The mother and daughter left to find a bathroom, at the TSA officer's request, to take off the adult diaper.

Read in full below:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/28363774/detail.html
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-27-11 at 05:24 AM.

How humiliating. I hate politics, because this is all because of politics. We need a politician with a spine to come and just be honest, there will always be a risk of terrorism. How far do we want to go to protect ourselves from it and how much risk are we willing to accept? I think this is going entirely too far. It's impossible to make everything and everyone 100% safe. Bush & Obama have done more to squash terrorism by going after the heads of these terrorists groups than Obama has by groping grandma. Thank God terrorists remain fascinated with airplanes. We'd be in big trouble otherwise.

I can't figure out why the daughter was searched. It says she burst into tears, forcing her own pat down and other measures. What?

If you are white you are a target for profiling by the screeners who have to prove that they are not profiling the races and religions that produce the terrorists. It's much easier to profile a compliant white 95 year old lady and her daughter than risk searching somebody that looks like they could really be a terrorist - that would be making a judgement based on appearance. But of course they still make these judgements and select people by default.
    Last edited by coracle; June-27-11 at 09:53 AM.

You make some points... I am black and while not non-descript, I'm not particularly note-worthy [[smile) and have a couple of metal implants from surgery so I've grown accustom [[I think) to the full run-thru at the airport as I set off alarms... I am thinking about getting a medic bracelet not that it will help... LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    If you are white you are a target for profiling by the screeners who have to prove that they are not profiling the races and religions that produce the terrorists. It's much easier to profile a compliant white 95 year old lady and her daughter that risk searching somebody that looks like they could really be a terrorist - that would be making a judgement based on appearance. But of course they still make these judgements and select people by default.

Just stop flying. When the airlines take enough of a financial hit, they'll speak up and do something to stop this tyranny.

TSA also managed to radicalize Miss USA. She didn't want to go through the Obama naked body scanner and wound up getting her vagina touched four times to make sure Miss USA wasn't a terrorist. Are the mothers and daughters of Senators also being similarly searched? They, at least, must not be complaining.

"Napolitano: Profiling Muslims Younger Than 35 Is "Not Good Logic." In remarks made on June 7 at New York University's Brennan Center for Justice, Napolitano responded to a question by Jacob Goodwin, editor of Government Security News, about profiling "men, typically under 30 or 35," who are Muslim. Napolitano responded that it is "not good logic" to profile based on those criteria and stated that it's better to screen based on "a technique, a tactic, a behavior" that would indicate the person "has moved into the category of a violent extremist." " -mediamatters

oladub, I don't think profiling Muslims men 35 and younger will solve the problem either. Should we pat down a 5 year boy because his mother is Muslim? This isn't about race, this about defining an acceptable amount of risk. Miss USA made some great points towards the end of the video. Life is risk period, we have to at some point accept it. We can't make white people, black people, Arab people, Jewish people, Asian people, etc 100% safe. Let's just accept the risk in flying and be done with it. There are reasonable precautions to take and then there is lunacy. The terrorists have won when we choose lunacy.

I have quit flying. My relatives are still airborne but they say it is not fun and a lot of work. They say driving hours or days to get somewhere isn't in their plans, but there is a lot to be said for drive time vs air time. Drive time allows togetherness without interference except for traffic. It does cost gas, wear on the car, meals and sometimes hotel costs. But, there is a whole lot to see out there in flyover country, that is well worth the trip. BIL just drove with me from Florida for a funeral and flew back. Cost to him was about the same both methods, flying cut the time from 30 hours to about 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ... I ... have a couple of metal implants from surgery so I've grown accustom [[I think) to the full run-thru at the airport as I set off alarms... I am thinking about getting a medic bracelet not that it will help... LOL!
    Some people with implants carry medical ID cards that contain a small X-ray of the implant. That might be more persuasive than a bracelet to a guard.

[[Note that this was only a domestic flight.)

I gave up flying years ago because of this silly drama queen called the TSA. If it's ever necessary to fly again, I plan to have a relative fly me in a private plane.

I'm with you Gaz. I flew a lot when working, but that was before the current nonsense. Now, if it's within 1,400 of me [[2 day drive), I'll drive unless I have to be there faster. That covers about 2/3 of the USA. Longer than 1,400 miles will depend on weather and other circumstances, but I like to drive and will take two lanes if time permits.

I think back to 9/11 and it seems petty and almost to the point of pathetic to complain about some lost time and a quick pat down when boarding an airplane. I'm sure the family members of those lost in the terror attacks would gladly trade their pain and anguish for a few moments of embarrassment. I'd also guess that most U.S soldiers serving in Afghanistan would rather be sitting in line and getting a pat down at a U.S airport than be dodging bullets 10,000 miles from home.

I'm driving back to Michigan from NV in August. First of all, I love the drive. We sleep in the car in truck stops and save on the motel bills. [[SUV with the back seats flopped). Plus when I get there I have my own car and don't have to rent one. Also, I can haul any damn thing I so feel moved to haul. Take your TSA and arrogant airline employees and stick them where the sun don't shine. See y'all in August.

her mother's Depend undergarment was "wet and it was firm

She's 95 and she still has a firm stool. Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    ...the Obama naked body scanner...
    Don't you ever get bored with the stupid partisan shit? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I think back to 9/11 and it seems petty and almost to the point of pathetic to complain about some lost time and a quick pat down when boarding an airplane.
    That's just being silly. People act like the whole world changed on that one day. Total nonsense. Planes were being hijacked right and left in the 60s and 70s [[My name is Jose', Fly me to Havana!!). Then there was the PLO in the 70s and of course one that was hijacked just for the ransom [[DB Cooper). And of course they're still happening, including one headed for Metro.

The simple fact is TSA molesting kids and old ladies doesn't seem to have stopped even one event. They are happening just as often, if not more so since TSA started feeling people up for grins and giggles.

You want to talk days that changed the world, look back to the late 1910s and the 1930s and 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Plus when I get there I have my own car and don't have to rent one. Also, I can haul any damn thing I so feel moved to haul.
    That's the biggest point for me; having my own vehicle and possessions.

Next to avoiding the Government Pervert Squad that is.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Don't you ever get bored with the stupid partisan shit? Just wondering.
    Why should you care if you weren't into 'stupid partisan shit'? Facts: The naked body scanners were deployed by the Obama administration's Department of Homeland Security as are the widespread and needless full body pat downs of children, old people, and even Miss USA. Sorry if you aren't proud of your President's record in this matter. Did you want me to pretend that civil liberties have gotten a real boost under President Obama? If it makes you feel better, I suspect McCain would have been worse and Bush really got the ball rolling.

the Obama administration's Department of Homeland Security

and Bush really got the ball rolling.

Let's not forget that was a Bush/Orwell thing.

Had there been no Bush II, the world would be a much better place today.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I think back to 9/11 and it seems petty and almost to the point of pathetic to complain about some lost time and a quick pat down when boarding an airplane. I'm sure the family members of those lost in the terror attacks would gladly trade their pain and anguish for a few moments of embarrassment. I'd also guess that most U.S soldiers serving in Afghanistan would rather be sitting in line and getting a pat down at a U.S airport than be dodging bullets 10,000 miles from home.
    Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Profound. Who said that [[besides Detroitnerd?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Profound. Who said that [[besides Detroitnerd?)
    Ben Franklin.

She could have been a terrorist in disguise with explosive in her diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Ben Franklin.
    Thanks, Pam. Tucked into my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yes and thanks to the Patriot Act the government can spy and detain civilians without cause.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast