Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Small Plates Files Chapter 11

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...tcy-protection

Every time I read that a restaurant is very popular, successful, etc. it's like when a sports owner gives his coach the deathly "vote of confidence."

That really sucks- I just ate there a couple of weeks ago and it was great.

Into the state and the feds for ~$400K, not good.

So sad to hear this! I remember how excited we were when it first opened...

Perhaps it was the quickly aborted expansion to Royal Oak that put them over the edge. In my opinion, they've brought in some talented people over the years but were a bit resistant to let them do what they do best. Sorry to see them go just the same. Broadway just won't be as lively without them.

Now I wonder how many business in the city are in fact behind on their taxes or operating in the red.

This is not good at all.

The root of it must be one of those damn tenant-landlord disputes.

I wonder how bad a hit they took when the Royal Oak Small Plates failed so miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    . Sorry to see them go just the same. Broadway just won't be as lively without them.
    Pay attention to the article and don't be starting rumors. Chapter 11 doesn't necessarily mean they're closing. The worst thing they need now is for people to think they are closed.

From Crain's
    The restaurant, at 1521 Broadway St. across from the Detroit Opera House, is still open for business.

That's right, bankruptcy is not automatic capital punishment. Look at GM.

How the heck could Small Plates have been losing money? It seems like the Detroit store is always busy and their food is priced well. Either something goofy is going on, or they took a complete bath on the Royal Oak store.

I wonder if this is similar to what happened with Robert Porcher; his restaurants were doing good, but he overextended himself and got into some questionable investment deals, then BAM! Detroit Breakfast House, Sweet Georgia Brown, and Seldom Blues were shuttered just like that.

I'm guessing they took a bath on the Royal Oak location, assuming they funded it. Opening a restaraunt is really expensive. The one time I ate at the R.O. location they weren't terribly busy, and the food was pretty mediocre for the price. Loads of competition in a dense space in Royal Oak, too.

People commenting on this don't seem to have a clue as to how difficult the resturant business is. It's probably the #1 most failed business in the United States. They probably put a lot of money into the Royal Oak venture, possibly putting off tax payments and/or not sending in the proper deductions, gambling that the RO place would be susccessful. Compound interest and penalties and the tax debt can pile up quickly. Unfortunatly, although Im no tax accountant and lawyer, I don't believe than any type of bankruptcy will relieve them of the tax liabilities.

They always seem dead when I'm there...and the service is always crummy. I wish them well, though and will continue to frequent their place as long as they can hold out.

Let's save Small Plates by going over to that restaurant and eat.

I have enjoyed this restaurant and I sincerely hope they survive. I like the concept and street view ambience. IMO their issue seemed to on the management end. My last visit there the delivery was very slow and some items on the menu were not available even though it was midday. However the service was outstanding, the food tasty and, as I had time on my hands, it didn't matter. I like Danny's idea and I am going to dine there again.

Lowell, sounds like a plan for an ol' time RentParty.

Small Plates is my go to restaurant downtown for a nice night out. I have been there many times over the years and have always enjoyed myself. I had noticed on their website even that they had been looking for investors.

it is true though, while not knowing their business profile, if they are in the red who else is in the red? That royal oak store was a total wash though. I'm not sure if it was even open for 6 months.

I hope they make it out and will try to support in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Pay attention to the article and don't be starting rumors. Chapter 11 doesn't necessarily mean they're closing. The worst thing they need now is for people to think they are closed.

From Crain's
    The restaurant, at 1521 Broadway St. across from the Detroit Opera House, is still open for business.
    Ugh. Sigh. I would be SO sorry to see them go. Broadway just WOULDN'T be as lively without them.*rolls eyes*

I went there once and was really disappointed with the variety and the menu, their name and concept is barely represented [[http://smallplates.com/food_menu.html). It was like going to a fondu restaurant with one fondu on the menu. At a place with a small plate concept I want to try small portions of things I've never had or familiar things prepared in a new way. Think Roast happy hour sizes and prices with more variety. No entrees, just apps and fun drinks.

If they retooled with a concept like that or a Spanish tapas theme I'd be more apt to return. I walk by almost every day and it's rarely crowded for lunch or happy hour.

Edit: typo.

Too many Dbags out on the sidewalk eating scares away normal customers.
    Kinda like Cafe deTroit was, but not as bad since they are actually paying.

What do you mean? I rarely go downtown to Broadway area. Are you talking about pandhandlers eating? What?
    Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Too many Dbags out on the sidewalk eating scares away normal customers.
    Kinda like Cafe deTroit was, but not as bad since they are actually paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    What do you mean? I rarely go downtown to Broadway area. Are you talking about pandhandlers eating? What?
    No, the clientele is off-putting. The place is no longer cool. It happens. That is why restaurants will reinvent themselves every 5 or 10 yrs.

DetroitPole Guest

This strikes me as unfortunate. I never really liked the place, to be honest, but I'm neither a foodie nor snooty. I know people who liked the place though, and in a town rife with Coney Islands and You-Buy-We-Fry it was an excellent fixture.
    Downtown is becoming increasingly desolate. I can't remember when it has been this bad. I mean, we got that bail bondsman...

Please, East Detroit, define "the clientele is off-putting"...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast