Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Detroit Times

Default Detroit Times

Well, after months of digging, research and interviews with surviving Times journos, I've finally published our history of the Detroit Times. If you're interested in learning more about where Detroit's Times Square got its name, http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places/times is the place.

Sorry for the meme, but since there is so little info available online about it, thought many on here - including old paperboys - might be interested.

GREAT writeup! And, yeah, this old Times newsboy was more than interested. I became a news junky during WW II, following the action since my brother and uncles were all in the army, and have never changed.

I delivered the Times from 1948 to 1950. Unlike Jjaba who never spent a nickle of his earnings, I think I blew my dough as soon as I got it. Hamburgers and comic books, mostly.

Come to think of it, I REALLY have never changed..............

Nicely done! Dad was a Detroit News electrician who worked at the Times plant for years. Beautiful things were left behind.

Excellent write up! In doing some research, I looked at the Times sportspages from January 1, 1930 - about August, 1934 on microfilm.

My grandmother worked for The Detroit Times in the secretarial capacity. Her name was Clarice Neate.

Excellent article. I can remember my father was quite upset when the Times went belly up, as he thought it was the best paper in town.

I grew up with all of the Detroit Newspapers in the house. Dad didn't have to insist that I read it, he guided me towards reading and it's been a part of my life ever since. I hate the fact that I can't get a copy of the Freep at my door every morning to go with my cup of coffee. It's just not the same reading the "paper' on the internet, even though I do it. I would rather read the paper, listen to CNN and enjoy a cup of coffee...Maybe again someday when all of this economic mess gets straightened out.

A wonderful read! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

That was a fascinating read. I had no idea Detroit's "Times Square" was named after a newspaper and a building that no longer exists.

Hornist, you can read the actual paper every day, you just have to go outside of your house, to the corner store or gas station to buy the Detroit News and/or the Freep.

DetroitDad Guest

Was the Times Square Building on the Gaslight block? It's hard to imagine West Downtown anything but parking lots today....

I wonder what happened to all the Detroit Times furniture [[desks, filing cabinets) that were in the Detroit News newsroom pre-strike. It was all cleared out for "modern" cubicles, post-strike. Much of the Times' photo files were hauled over to the News as well.

That is a great write up. What was the exact footprint of the facility? Did it include the lots and what is now the one-day bus terminal?

I found the pictures on the site. I walk past this parcel every day and seeing how many buildings are now long gone made me sad. And what is left has not been taken care of as well as it should have been.
    Last edited by Gertrude; May-24-09 at 09:13 AM.

My Detroit Times change apron.

The Times is very big in my life's memories. My brother, Carl was station manager behind the library in the alley near 6Mile and Gratiot. I hawked "Extra" s the day Hitler invaded Poland-1939

DetroitDad Guest

Gertrude, check out the first two on my second post.

From the archives on the old forums;

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1238552492

Last edited by DetroitDad; May-25-09 at 04:29 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Those Detroit Times delivery pickup trucks were painted orange with black lettering. Wish I was better at photoshop, or I'd try a colorization! LOL