Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Austin Catholic Prep School - East Warren & Canyon

Any Austin grads out there? The Alumni Association had its annual golf outing this past Monday and it got me to thinking about the old place.

Remember -

Senior staircase?
    Graduating in white dinner jackets?
    The Debusschere aura?
    No football field?
    Domination in tennis and golf?
    The swimming team and Mr. G?
    Violations?
    Jug?
    Central Division sports rivalries?

I searched to see if there was a prior thread but didn't find one.

I didn't go there, but knew a lot of the Austinites from 70-74. I remember the Drama club plays, in particular L'il Abner, Little Mary Sunshine and Guys and Dolls. I remember the guys talking about getting Jug and violations. The only sport I remember going to watch was cross country when a friend of mine ran.

I didn't go there, either, but I attended Austin basketball games as a kid. They had a great all-male cheering section, several hundred strong, all wearing white shirts and black pants. They spelled out A-U-S-T-I-N in a long, locomotive-style chant. It was very impressive, especially when an opponent's female cheering squad went on the floor and did those lame, traditional cheers.
    Last edited by Carey; June-24-11 at 01:27 PM.

I know we beat them in basketball back in the day.

Oh, BTW, I went to Regina, so my interest in Austin was neither academic or sports related.

How could I fail to mention the "white shirted legion." Thanks Carey.

The new Austin is opening next school year in New Haven, a long way from the original one

Many original Austin grads are less than thrilled about the new one, given that the Augustinian Order that ran the original and will run the new Austin closed the original in 1978 and sold the property to WC3.

Stood kitty corner across the street waiting for the downtown Warren bus with ma, more times than I could count.

Trying to remember who all I know went there in the 65-69 era. Some of the folks I can visualize in my mind, but after 40+ years my brain isn't responding as quickly with names.