Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit City Council has been quiet lately

I haven't seen or heard much from city council since the elections. Where's Monica hiding these days? Before the elections it seems they were in the paper or on the news every day?

MIRepublic Guest

I kind of think you answered your own question without you realizing it.

The council has not been quiet. Not yesterday anyway. Monica and Ken are like water and oil. Ken stopped the meeting because of MC's outburst yesterday. It is funny watching them bicker. It will probably only get more Tysonlike as the time grows closer to the August primary.

Tysonlike....maybe she'll lose an ear. Mayor Bing needs to bring some new blood to the administration. We're still relatively rudderless.

Quiet? Well, it's top 2 leaders are both defeated. Not much to say after that.

I could not resist "Tysonlike". I hope Mr. Bing starts with an audit of the city's finances and especially the contracts. Any movement by Mr. Bing in a positive direction is better than what KC did as the temporary mayor and will probably ensure his re-election as mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by RayStar View Post
    The council has not been quiet. Not yesterday anyway. Monica and Ken are like water and oil. Ken stopped the meeting because of MC's outburst yesterday. It is funny watching them bicker. It will probably only get more Tysonlike as the time grows closer to the August primary.
    This must have been good.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Amazed View Post
    This must have been good.
    Hi JA it just seems unavoidable with all of the tension at the council. It's not just Monica's antics. Ken has a nasty habit, imo, of being very short with women. Several others get their digs in also. I so hope we get a couple of more men along with some smart women on the council come January 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by RayStar View Post
    Hi JA it just seems unavoidable with all of the tension at the council. It's not just Monica's antics. Ken has a nasty habit, imo, of being very short with women.
    Well yes... there are 7 women on the council... and with possibly 2 or 3 exceptions... they're mostly nitwits!

So it may appear that way. But since he has a low threshhold for incompetence, he may be short with many of them...

Now granted, that's not the way to get things done... but it's surprising anything gets done anyway...
    Last edited by Gistok; May-22-09 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I haven't seen or heard much from city council since the elections. Where's Monica hiding these days? Before the elections it seems they were in the paper or on the news every day?
    They're all packing to leave for the Mackinaw Island Conference next week.

Gistok KC's low threshold may be his political downfall.

the city council budget should be cut in half, pending a return to an Aldermanic/district-based system. No more perks, no more freebies, no more ghost payroll..
    especially after this latest tax-scandal [[watson), everybody needs to go.. bing must play hardball with the council on budgetary issues, if he is to be taken seriously..
    example- Belle Isle needs to charge money to offset costs of yearly maintenance.. a modest fee for a daily pass [[per car, bike, or on foot) is acceptable, and options should be included for monthly passes.. but the ignorant/skeptical in council inevitably will portray it as a tactic to keep out the black community, as if it, in the aggregate, is literally broke.. I live in Detroit.. and the way I see it, unless you work there, almost nobody goes to belle isle every day, or even necessarily every week [[especially during winter/early spring).. at the risk of uplifting stereotypes, if someone can put $1000 rims on a car, they can pay a $3 entrance fee.. same goes for people who spend $500 on hair/nail appoinments or buy expensive clothes [[including for their kids).

LodgeDodger Guest

Make sweeping assumptions much?

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Make sweeping assumptions much?

the greater point is, a Belle Isle entrance fee would not be the super-racial-discrimination disaster that alarmist council members and certain other activist types insist.. we need more parks.. but taking care of them takes money.. and with a shrinking tax base, something's got to give..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    if someone can put $1000 rims on a car, they can pay a $3 entrance fee.
    Ummm....nobody BUYS $1,000 rims. They liberate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Ummm....nobody BUYS $1,000 rims. They liberate them.

they can pay a fee, too..