Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Quicken and other Downtown companies to mimic "Live Midtown" in Downtown

Article from the Free Press today. My man crush on Dan Gilbert seems to be growing every day.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011062...text|FRONTPAGE

Article states that we will see an announcement in July.

It'd be nice if Wayne State employees could get the incentive in order to live downtown...

The dominoes are really starting to fall... If light rail happens in the next 5 years, coupled with all of the present development efforts, the greater downtown area is going to be a robust, thriving and vibrant urban core competitive or even surpassing other major cities. On top of it all, Detroit has the advantage of being one of America's coolest cities, IMO.

Dan Gilbert for Mayor of Detroit 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    The dominoes are really starting to fall... If light rail happens in the next 5 years, coupled with all of the present development efforts, the greater downtown area is going to be a robust, thriving and vibrant urban core competitive or even surpassing other major cities. On top of it all, Detroit has the advantage of being one of America's coolest cities, IMO.
    That would be nice. Hopefully crime and the "i don't give a f*ck about anyone but myself" attitude don't derail all this positive momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    That would be nice. Hopefully crime and the "i don't give a f*ck about anyone but myself" attitude don't derail all this positive momentum.
    Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    These,

maybe people will open their eyes.

southsider Guest

This is why Detroityes stays relevant: Comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    What's so funny? You don't think with light rail and high residential and commercial densities in a tight cluster Detroit can surpass Phoenix, AZ in terms of urban living?

What's so funny? You don't think with light rail and high residential and commercial densities in a tight cluster Detroit can surpass Phoenix, AZ in terms of urban living?
    Detroit already has passed Phoenix in "urban living." Have you been to Phoenix? there is nothing even remotely urban about it. It would be like living on Big Beaver Rd. Not even remotely urban.

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    Here come the naysayers, offering little more than the old, tired rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKeepsmiling View Post
    Detroit already has passed Phoenix in "urban living." Have you been to Phoenix? there is nothing even remotely urban about it. It would be like living on Big Beaver Rd. Not even remotely urban.
    You're correct. I have been to Phoenix, and you're right, there is nothing urban about it. I probably picked too easy a target in my above post. Right now, I'd say Pittsburgh and Cleveland both have an edge on Detroit in terms of quality urban living; Pittsburgh by a healthy margin, and Cleveland not by much. So, using them as examples, I think it's not unrealistic for Detroit to pass them in 5-10 years based on the present trajectory.

Success of Midtown incentives inspire Quicken chairman to follow suit downtown
    Last January, when an incentive program was created to lure employees of major anchor institutions to live in the city's Midtown district, nobody quite knew how it would work out.

Five months later, the evidence suggests the incentive program has been a huge hit. As of Wednesday, 178 people have taken advantage of the Midtown incentives to buy a new home, sign or renew an apartment lease, or begin home renovations, according to Midtown Detroit Inc., the nonprofit group that is coordinating the program.

Austin Black II, a Detroit Realtor and owner of the firm City Living Detroit, said that four of the eight pending deals he had at the beginning of this month were based on the Midtown incentives. The incentives provide up to $25,000 to buy a home in the Midtown district, and there are other incentives to sign or renew an apartment lease or to make home improvements.

"I think it's been huge, especially stabilizing values in the neighborhood," Black said Wednesday.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011062...-suit-downtown

I think it is a great incentive. About time corporate conscience makes a comeback. Kudo's to Gilbert and his company.