Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bill Ford Commutes From Ann Arbor to Dearborn [[TED Talk about sustainable autos)

Maybe he could jumpstart the SEMCOG Ann Arbor—Detroit commuter rail.

Following is the talk where he mentions it. I was pleasantly surprised by how environmentally conscious he wants to sound.

http://www.ted.com/talks/bill_ford_a..._gridlock.html

lilpup Guest

He wanted to move closer to Dearborn but couldn't unload his Ann Arbor property. It was on the market for a few years [[might still be).

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    Maybe he could jumpstart the SEMCOG Ann Arbor—Detroit commuter rail.

Following is the talk where he mentions it. I was pleasantly surprised by how environmentally conscious he wants to sound.

http://www.ted.com/talks/bill_ford_a..._gridlock.html
    Are you really surprised? Since he has taken a major role in running the company there has been a major shift in how the company operates. He has proven that you can build a factory that incorporates LEED values and sells more hybrid vehicles than any other auto company.

I respect the fact that Bill Ford is a little different than your usual corporate leader when it comes to environmetal issues. He seems like a pretty progressive guy in many ways. But I still have a hard time thinking of him as an environmentalist.

You can't be a real protector of the earth while you serve as one of the people running a company that produces machines that pollute the earth and cause it to be covered with highways and parking lots. And the manufacture of the machine itself causes additonal damage to the planet.

lilpup Guest

Carey, even ancient Greeks and Romans built roads and impacted the planet. There's no mode of existence that doesn't impact the planet.

If you really want to wail on some polluters making little effort at minimizing impact go after the tech companies and Steve Jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Carey, even ancient Greeks and Romans built roads and impacted the planet. There's no mode of existence that doesn't impact the planet.

If you really want to wail on some polluters making little effort at minimizing impact go after the tech companies and Steve Jobs.

But I must have my new I-Phone and I-Pad and I-Mac. My old one is six months old!! Into the landfill with the old one!

heh.. I don't see Ford/chrysler/GM getting behind a rail transit project...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    heh.. I don't see Ford/chrysler/GM getting behind a rail transit project...
    Ann Arbor-Detroit project started because of GM. When GM consolidated multiple offices at the Ren Cen, they approached CATA to see if commuter rail service could be implemented between Lansing and Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    Ann Arbor-Detroit project started because of GM. When GM consolidated multiple offices at the Ren Cen, they approached CATA to see if commuter rail service could be implemented between Lansing and Detroit.
    In addition to being the main supporter of regional rail, GM has recently sunk some more money into this bus company:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011061...nsit-bus-maker

But on a continuum, you can't mean that cars, taken as a single device, fall to the minor side of the impact scale compared to personal electronics? [[which cars are chock full of, not to be outdone)

Staring in wonder at the Stoepel interchange this morning on Google-maps [[looking for a safe thruway for a bike) and driving around Troy's mind boggling office tower zone before lunch . . . it's not hard to imagine cars winning the 'impact' award, at least for the last 50 years.

And on the resource/poison side, if it's even somewhat true that an average car consumes 1/3 of the fuel it will ever use in it's production ...

lilpup Guest

Single device comparisons are not valid when assessing overall impact.

He wanted to move closer to Dearborn but couldn't unload his Ann Arbor property. It was on the market for a few years [[might still be).
    Has he ever been able to sell his digs in Grosse Pointe? I recall when he moved to Ann Arbor several years ago, he had a difficult time selling that house.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Has he ever been able to sell his digs in Grosse Pointe? I recall when he moved to Ann Arbor several years ago, he had a difficult time selling that house.
    Where was he? I know a Ford lived on the gated part of Provencal, but thought it was his sister. If it was him, that house was bought then literally leveled by the new owner, who also took out all of the landscaping, including the trees, in order to start from scratch. Last time I was over that way, it was acres and acres of flattened earth. My understanding is that the owner ran into financial problems and never built whatever home he was going to put there.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Where was he? I know a Ford lived on the gated part of Provencal, but thought it was his sister. If it was him, that house was bought then literally leveled by the new owner, who also took out all of the landscaping, including the trees, in order to start from scratch. Last time I was over that way, it was acres and acres of flattened earth. My understanding is that the owner ran into financial problems and never built whatever home he was going to put there.
    He lived on Provencal as well. At the time there were, I believe three family members living on the street. Josephine, Bill Jr., and one other member. I'm pretty sure Jo's house was bought by family member Eleanor and and her hubby with plans to tear it down and build a new home.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I respect the fact that Bill Ford is a little different than your usual corporate leader when it comes to environmetal issues. He seems like a pretty progressive guy in many ways. But I still have a hard time thinking of him as an environmentalist.

You can't be a real protector of the earth while you serve as one of the people running a company that produces machines that pollute the earth and cause it to be covered with highways and parking lots. And the manufacture of the machine itself causes additonal damage to the planet.
    In my 13 years on this forum... I cannot think of a more slippery slope comment than yours Carey... wanna guess where the power came from to run the computer that allows you to post here... likely non-renewable fossil fuels.... and someone had to build a road to get to the source of the fuels....

I dont know if Carey is wrong neessarily, but shes not right either. Individuals have no innate power as units of change [[change for good, or bad). The only way individuals access power to affect change is through organization.

So no Bill Ford is not exactly an environmentalist in his capacity of power, but as an individual he may have very positive progressive environmental ideas about the world.