Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Here's another Building mystery for you...

Ok, when searching the VMC I spied this fire fighting scene.
    It takes place at State St. and Shelby St.
    But I'm having a hard time figuring out the two buildings on the right side.
    Specifically the one with the Fallout Shelter sign on it.
    I tried streetview, but got crosseyed looking for it.

Name:  Golden.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  55.0 KB

Book-Cadillac Hotel with the CD shelter sign.

Last edited by carlscomputers; June-21-11 at 09:26 PM.

This picture reminded me of the building pictures in the photo below, which was demolished a few years ago. Anyone identify the building I'm talking about?

Name:  87895.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  48.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    This picture reminded me of the building pictures in the photo below, which was demolished a few years ago. Anyone identify the building I'm talking about?

Name:  87895.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  48.8 KB
    Peoples outfitting buidling.

Thanks. Do you remember exactly when was that demo?

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Thanks. Do you remember exactly when was that demo?
    That building came down Jan-Mar 2007.

The top picture view is looking south on Shelby. That's the canted corner of the Lafayette Building left center and the angled Federal Building in the distance. This block of Shelby doesn't even exist any more. It's now the parking deck entrance for the garage located to the immediate east of the Cook Cadillac. Very cool photo though.....I love the old Bishop streetlights!

They tore down People's Outfitting for that parking structure that sits half empy all the time...lol

The building on the right, north of the Book Cadillac was the old Harry Suffrin Menswear store...which morphed in th Hughes, Hatcher and Suffrin.

People's Outfitting Company, or PoCo.

The building that is burning in this picture is still standing and was built back in the late 1800s as the Brown Brothers Cigar Co. Later for many years it had the Dr. Golden dental offices in it, which is why it's called the "Golden Building" in the references I've found for this photograph.

The fire seen here apparently began in Danny's Gin Mill & Clam House restaurant on the first floor [[their sign can be seen peeking through behind the smoke). Mike M on a 2006 thread on this board about old restaurants said that the fire occurred on the Vietnam War Moratorium Day, which would make it October 15, 1969. His post can be found here:
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/83010.html
    He also posted this picture of the fire:

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    The building on the right, north of the Book Cadillac was the old Harry Suffrin Menswear store...which morphed in th Hughes, Hatcher and Suffrin.
    Here is a picture from the Wayne Virtual Motor City site from I believe the 1930s or 40s showing the Harry Suffrin store and the Dr. Golden/Brown Bros. Cigar Building with the Book Cadillac in the background [[and also showing a pretty bizarre looking fountain in Capitol Park)

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The fire seen here apparently began in Danny's Gin Mill & Clam House restaurant on the first floor [[their sign can be seen peeking through behind the smoke). Mike M on a 2006 thread on this board about old restaurants said that the fire occurred on the Vietnam War Moratorium Day, which would make it October 15, 1969.
    I remember being downtown [[Kennedy Square) for an anti-war protest while a large fire was in progress. My sister told me it was the day of the moratorium but it turns out that was a different day. Either there was a large protest going on the same day as this fire [[April 15, 1970) or there also was a fire on Moratorium Day.