Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Teen Dance Shows/Looking for Participants

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000004273 StartFragment:0000002292 EndFragment:0000004237
    @font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Some of you may have seen my query on other Detroit websites; if so, sorry for duplications. For a book on televised teen dance shows of the 1950s and 1960s, I am hoping to locate anyone connected with these programs:

Detroit Bandstand
    Ed McKenzie's Saturday Dance Party
    Bud Davies' Dance Party
    Club 1270
    Teen Town
    Swingin' Time

And any programs I may have missed!

I am a dance historian at New York University. Any reminiscences, memories, or anecdotes about performing on the shows or working behind the scenes will be welcomed. Former dancers, producers, DJs, cameramen: I hope to hear from you! I am also particularly interested in hearing from African American dancers who may have performed on the shows as teen dancers.

Please respond to this thread or email me privately at jmm2@nyu.edu.

Thank you very much in advance.

Julie Malnig

Try looking up Cooley High Detroit on Youtube. I know they had dance shows there in the 80s. There are some great videos that can be found. Not sure which dance shows they were but some of the old time teachers used to talk about them [[most of the teachers are long gone...).

Thank you! Will follow up on this. / Regards, Julie

Julie,
    Your post is another gentle pang of nostalgia, that makes me smile.

Ed McKenzie was a Detroit Disk Jockey, starting in the forties, using the ‘stage’ name, “Jack the Bellboy.”
    Legal proceedings, possibly of a plagiaristic nature, made him drop the name and use his own.

He was Detroit’s favorite Jockey during the heyday of that culture.