Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Little Willie John - new book!

Susan Whitall, longtime Detroit music writer, spent years researching and writing this book. I am going to get a copy this weekend but I'm sure it will be a meticulously researched tome. Congrats, Susan Whitall!

I love LWJ and have read that he led quite a turbulent life. I'm very excited to see this book.

His son's and x wife still live in Detroit. One of his son's is in computers and the other is a professional singer who has sang back up for Stevie Wonder. I hope Susan interviewed them for the book.

Without having yet read Fever: Little Willie John's Fast Life, Mysterious Death and the Birth of Soul, I think it's safe to assume Ms. Whitall did her homework. She's a pro's pro and a veteran music writer whose longevity and body of work is quite remarkable in this day and age.

Look forward to reading this and hope she sells a gigantic pile of them.

LOVE this dude. His grandson is friend's with one of my dearest friends. Still in Detroit.

If I my play Mr. BoD.J.:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vevb75N3dRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z-VA7IvJBc

Upcoming author appearance:

Susan Whitall and Kevin John
    Fever

July 22, 2011 7:00 PM
    Borders - Birmingham
    34300 Woodward
    Birmingham, MI 48009

James Brown's favorite singer and the inspiration for generations of musicians, Little Willie John was the unjustly forgotten singer whose deep blues, rollicking rock & roll, and swinging ballads formed the basis for what we know as soul music. Written by esteemed music journalist Susan Whitall and with a foreword by Stevie Wonder, the singer receives his due in the first-ever official biography based on his fast life and strange death, FEVER.

I just came back from a book signing at Book Beat. Kevin John is credited on the book, both sons were there, and their mother and a bunch of other relatives and Maxine Ballard, Florence Ballard's sister. And some forumers! [[well, one!)

You'll never know how much I love you, never know how much I care ....