Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lakes on Belle Isle

I was on Belle Isle this evening and had noticed more lakes were made onto the island. I really haven't cruised the island in years. When were the lakes added? Were trees torn down to make the lakes? I really like the scenery made by them. I still think that a $3.00 charges should be added to drive onto the island. A $25 yearly pass should be given to those who wish to purchase it. I am surprised that the council had not made this a law.

ummm okay......... new lakes?? Is this sarcasm for standing water?

If anything they are ponds. Would not call them lakes by any means.

I've been going to Belle Isle at least a few times a month for more than 10 years. There are no new lakes, ponds, lagoons or canals that I am aware of. They dredged one to make the water deeper, but it was there before and after.

Also... prior to the 1920s the Blue Heron Lagoon and Scott Fountain Basin were both part of the Detroit River... Belle Isle has gone from 620 to 982 acres over the last century... mostly in the 1920s with river dredgings.

So fully 1/3 of the island was never part of the Frederick Law Olmstead plan for the island.