Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Rick Snyder to announce sweeping DPS reforms Monday

BY DAVID JESSE, CHASTITY PRATT DAWSEY AND CHRIS CHRISTOFF

DETROIT FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

Gov. Rick Snyder will create a new authority to run several failing Detroit Public Schools as part of a sweeping reform package to be announced Monday for the struggling district, sources said.

The plan would restructure the failing school district, which has a $327 million budget deficit, by moving underperforming DPS schools under a new authority to be run by current DPS Emergency Financial Manager Roy Roberts, according to sources.

Roberts would have the authority to make new work rules at those schools, a process sources familiar with the discussions said could take a year. A law passed this year gives emergency managers new powers to control academic and financial matters and to cancel or modify union contracts.

A southeast Michigan university, widely believed in higher education circles to be Eastern Michigan University, would also be involved to do teacher training in the schools.

It’s unclear exactly how the new authority would work. Details were not being released by anyone in advance of a press conference scheduled for 11 a.m. today at Renaissance High School in Detroit.

However, sources said that the Broad Foundation and other philanthropic organizations will pump significant amounts of money into the new authority. According to sources, Snyder has had several meetings with Eli Broad, the founder of the foundation, which is dedicated to education reform and has assets of more than $2 billion.

Continued at: http://www.freep.com/article/20110619/NEWS01/110619015/Snyder-announce-sweeping-DPS-reforms?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

So far, sounds good to me.

Where's the money coming from to pay off DPS's existing deficit? Each new proposal talks about shrinking the school district but no explanation of how a district with fewer students and less money is going to be able to pay off the existing deficit.

Are the plans to replace some Detroit high schools [[such as Finney) still on track?

Or are they on hold?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Are the plans to replace some Detroit high schools [[such as Finney) still on track?

Or are they on hold?
    Guess we'll find out tomorrow champ.

I don't care how its done, but I want kids educated. Let's give 'em a chance to try something different -- and to break all the rules they can along the way. The existing powers haven't got the job done. So let's try some new ideas.

It all depends on what you mean by the term 'educated'.

I do not want 'for-profit' corporations being allowed to distort the process and create indoctrination centers for impressionable young minds.

Can we see that even the Charter School process has been revealed to be a patsy to the political whims of leadership?! Just LOOK at the Kirk What's-His-Name debacle when he became the fodder of Karen Dumbas's manipulation of power within the Bong administration.

Mayor Bong could place him at the head of one at his pleasure, displacing someone who is actually a doctored educator, then draw him back out seemingly at will.

Nothing good will come of this, because it has Governor Snydely's signature upon it. Nothing he chooses to do seems designed for the good of anyone except his buddies in his pocket. He is running the state as if it were his personal pocket-pool game, fondily.

No cheers on this one...I'm sick to death just from the title of this thread, actually. Dreading the news, and I will welcome being surprised and found wrong on this premonition, I NEVER want to be found right on stuff like this. But his track record thus far fuels my cynicism. That's why I started calling him Snydely...

I hope this new EFM dictator for DPS works better than Robert Bobb.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

Or are they on hold?
    I think those rebuilds were from dedicated Bond money. Drove by Finney yesterday. old school is completely down, the site is totally fenced off, looks to be completely regraded, and there is a new wall up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    It all depends on what you mean by the term 'educated'.

I do not want 'for-profit' corporations being allowed to distort the process and create indoctrination centers for impressionable young minds.

Can we see that even the Charter School process has been revealed to be a patsy to the political whims of leadership?! Just LOOK at the Kirk What's-His-Name debacle when he became the fodder of Karen Dumbas's manipulation of power within the Bong administration.

Mayor Bong could place him at the head of one at his pleasure, displacing someone who is actually a doctored educator, then draw him back out seemingly at will.

Nothing good will come of this, because it has Governor Snydely's signature upon it. Nothing he chooses to do seems designed for the good of anyone except his buddies in his pocket. He is running the state as if it were his personal pocket-pool game, fondily.

No cheers on this one...I'm sick to death just from the title of this thread, actually. Dreading the news, and I will welcome being surprised and found wrong on this premonition, I NEVER want to be found right on stuff like this. But his track record thus far fuels my cynicism. That's why I started calling him Snydely...
    Your cynicism is deep, but you leave open the possibility that the group of idiots in charge might get it right -- or at least get it a little better. If they start implanting corporate, Republican chips in their little brains I'll help you start a removal foundry.

We can melt the little traitorous bastards then? Oh, what fun.

State intervention in DPS doesn't exactly have a track record of success. What's going to be different this time?

From the press release that just came from EMU:

Campus message on EMU’s involvement in Governor Snyder's public schools plan

There is some excellent news to share today regarding Eastern Michigan University and our College of Education.

EMU is part of a newly created authority to run failing public schools in Michigan under a series of broad changes announced today by Gov. Rick Snyder.

The plan would restructure the Detroit Public Schools by moving its schools under an 11-member Education Achievement Authority, which would include two members appointed by EMU, and to be run by the district's emergency manager, Roy Roberts.

EMU is the only one of the state’s 15 public universities to be involved in the project.

Details of the plan were announced at 11 a.m. today in a press conference at Renaissance High in Detroit.

Eastern’s role with the authority could include the following activities:

• Organizing and operating a laboratory or university school at the site of a school assigned to the authority by the originating district or a participating district.

•Sponsoring, hosting, or participating in conferences, seminars, or other meetings concerning public education reform.

•Assigning faculty or other staff of the University, on limited-term appointments, to assist the authority.

•Providing technical assistance to public schools authorized or operated by the authority.

•Providing other educational services, including, but not limited to, lifelong education, adult education, community education, training, online courses, enrichment, and recreation programs for the authority or public schools authorized or operated by the authority.

EMU is a logical partner for Snyder’s plans.

The University has long had an active interest in Detroit education.

A recent example is EMU's participation in the W.K. Kellogg Foundation-Woodrow Wilson Michigan Teaching Fellowship, which places graduates of a customized masters program in needy Detroit schools to teach science and math classes.

EMU has a deep history in education. It was the first teacher-training school in the nation to offer a 4-year degree program, and is one of the nation’s largest producers of educational personnel.

For further details on the governor’s plans, see the website at www. emich.edu/eaa later this afternoon.

Sounds like it's not just another charter school initiative, so that's a plus. Of course, the devil is always in the details, so we'll have to see how the plan is developed over the year that they've been given to develop it.

I'm interested in how they will handle lack of parental involvement [[other than having parents sign a contract with no teeth) and whether they will recognize that unaddressed socio-economic conditions in Detroit can also derail their best efforts. I also wonder if there is a way to ensure that empowered principals do not continue old habits of favoritism as they hire and fire and manage their own budgets.
    Last edited by Locke09; June-20-11 at 02:04 PM. Reason: grammar

It looks to me like a great way for EMU to make money...I'm sure they are not going to offer all these things for free. Count me in as skeptical...but trying my best to keep an open mind.

I'll believe it all when I see it...I've been through too many "reforms" in DPS to know to trust anyone's word on something. I expect nothing and will be just pleasantly shocked when it works to the benefit of the KIDS. DPS has a 2 year rule...try something for 2 years [[which is NOT enough time for something to work the way it should) and then abandon it for the new "reform" du jour.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    I'll believe it all when I see it...I've been through too many "reforms" in DPS to know to trust anyone's word on something. ...
    Insight from the inside is very valuable.

Let's hope for the sake of the kids that this is a structural change that 'empowers' those who want to try new things -- and isn't just political theater.

Reading the Free Press editorial this morning, you wouldn't know that DPS has been under state control with Robert Bobb calling the shots. The same is true of the Detroit News editorial. Typical of the News, it also pointed the finger at union "work rules" as an impediment to progress at DPS. Does anyone believe that it's union work rules that are at the root of the problems in Detroit schools? Ther's no doubt that there's a lot wrong with DPS. But neither paper explains how this system is going to succeed where past state interventions in DPS have failed.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Reading the Free Press editorial this morning, you wouldn't know that DPS has been under state control with Robert Bobb calling the shots. The same is true of the Detroit News editorial. Typical of the News, it also pointed the finger at union "work rules" as an impediment to progress at DPS. Does anyone believe that it's union work rules that are at the root of the problems in Detroit schools? Ther's no doubt that there's a lot wrong with DPS. But neither paper explains how this system is going to succeed where past state interventions in DPS have failed.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011062...e-sick-schools

I'm not reading what you're reading into it at all. It mentions that Roberts has the power to suspend or abolish any union work rules seen as obstructive. Subjective power? Yes, but it is simply mentioned in the article and not suggesting that union work rules "are at the root of the problems in Detroit schools."

While true that the state has been "intervening" for what seems like forever, this is truly a new approach as it comes on the heels of the EFM legislation and seems to be a federal test-pilot. [[NOTE: I am NOT saying it will work). As for explaining how this system is going to succeed where others have failed, how can one do that with a program that has never been tried before? Elements of it, like the Kalamazoo-style scholarship part, have been quite successful, but by the accounts I've read, this state-wide "triage" school system is a new idea. [[Speaking to that, one of the differences is that this is only a 25% intervention into DPS schools. The rest of the schools will be from the rest of the state).

It seems to me that the EFM legislation may have had more to do with being able to put the school reforms in place than any of the other more publicized concerns. Time will tell.

I'm with DetroitTeacher. I'm skeptical, and will remain so until I see that these reforms are working.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Where's the money coming from to pay off DPS's existing deficit? Each new proposal talks about shrinking the school district but no explanation of how a district with fewer students and less money is going to be able to pay off the existing deficit.
    The above is interesting in context of the dust up between Lemmons and Roberts yesterday.

“How?” Lemmons said he asked Roberts. “Is the state going to assume the deficit?”

That is when Roberts blew up and said, “What do you care?” Lemmons said.
    “I’m not here to make this district solvent so you can get back in office, I’m here to educate kids, “ Roberts said, according to Lemmons.

Lemmons said he responded, “The district has been under control of the state for nine of the last 12 years. The reason you’re here is because we’re not solvent.”

Roberts stormed out of the meeting at that point and said board members could follow him to his office if they had additional questions, Lemmons said.
    I hope with all my heart that these efforts lead to some resolution, but does anyone else share my concern that the real hot potato is the $327 M deficit and that protection of bond-holder investments combined with breaking unions is a large driving force?

The plan in some ways reminds me of the City of Detroit and suburbs situation. The good schools are cherry-picked and all the problems are dumped into the EAS [Education Achievement System]. Unless the EAS schools are provided with top notch staff, security AND incentives like the two year free higher education tuition offer, the equivalent of the 'middle-class' in the EAS, the good and bright students, will for resume or other reasons head for the 'suburbs' dooming the EAS schools to ever lower results.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ... breaking unions is a large driving force? ...
    Certainly some people on the right would love to 'break unions'. You can think what you may of Governor Snyder, but to be so concerned over his motivations rather than the educational results is misguided.

IMO, the second largest problem with unions is their inability to adjust to change. If the unions would stop being sticks-in-the-mud, and would allow progressive ideas to be tried -- even when they are not the union's idea of the best way -- most people would be perfectly happy with the unions.

'Large driving force'? Not at all.

Necessary because they won't accept change. Likely.

[[Worth mentioning that the usual retort this criticism is that unions made recommendations for change all the time. This is not doubt true. But that doesn't make their changes the only changes that can be discussed.)

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I'm with DetroitTeacher. I'm skeptical, and will remain so until I see that these reforms are working.
    Skepticism is good. Obstruction is not.

"IMO, the second largest problem with unions is their inability to adjust to change. If the unions would stop being sticks-in-the-mud, and would allow progressive ideas to be tried -- even when they are not the union's idea of the best way -- most people would be perfectly happy with the unions. "

Can you explain within the context of DPS how this comes into play? What reform ideas has DPS or Robert Bobb not been able to implement because the unions resisted progressive ideas?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast