Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Paging Ray1936, et al, tponetom

RAY:
    Re: "By the way, what is a "Tag"?

This is in reply to your reply, Post # 120) on my post Post # 17, April 28, ‘09 .

It's a game we used to play before 'puters and all this electronic jazz. Someone was "it", and had to "Tag" someone else so he/she was no longer "it". Being "it" was a curse. Not being "it" meant you could just run with the wind and not have to chase anybody.
    Tp: Here are the rules for Tag.

Rule 1: You are either it or you are not it.
    Rule 2: If you are neither of the above, no rules apply to you.
    Rule 3: There are no other rules.
    Wonder how many of the younger dy'rs never played Tag????

I am referring, of course, to your description of the rules that govern the game of TAG! I was fascinated, nay, mesmerized by the potential spin-offs that could be adapted to that game without altering any of the primary rules, which of course would be sacrosanct.

I have to confess that my pals and I were always looking for some new forms of recreational pursuits because most of the old ones got to be a bore.

The rules of TAG were far to complicated to comprehend.

So we were stuck with the same old, same old stand-bys, like "3 Dimensional Chess or even 4 Dimensional Chess even though we did not have an Atomic Clock at that time. [[We worked out the Time Dimension gambit in our heads.
    When we became extremely desperate we would play "20 Questions On Quantum Theory." That too, became a "yawn" as well.

Tackling the game of "TAG" was well beyond our physical and mental abilities. We thought we had to "TACKLE" another guy and hang the onus of "IT" on him!

So what brought on the absurdity of this 'post'?

Even as I am typing this, I have five pages of hand written, gestating notes that keep on reproducing. [[Notes, that is.)

Notes like: "From Detroit to Oblivion, from Gold to Pyrite."
    Bur not quite.
    There might well be an alchemist who can stir up a mixture that will make Detroit glitter and glow again.

The singular 'note' that perplexed me, was one word, "gool," like in drool.
    To wit: "Here I come, ready or not, all around "gool" is IT!
    That phrase has been scratching at the door of my brain cellar for 75 years or so. What did we mean when we said, "GOOL."
    The manifestation came a few nights ago when I was watching a re-run of "Leave It to Beaver." The key word here, is, "IT!" During that episode, either Beaver or Tony Dow said something about having a "GOAL" in life.
    The faint scratching at the cellar door, engendered a cataclysmic explosion of understanding and definition: [ALL AROUND "GOAL" IS IT!]

Not 'gool,' Jackass,! I said to myself.

I think I will get a few of my octogenarian friends to play a game of TAG. We have a rather large walk-in closet that can be used as a venue. Someone is bound to fall down and become,,,,,,,IT!

Note: That cellar door thing? Sometimes my brains are in my feet!

It has been a good week, so far. The Red Wings will keep it going.
    Last edited by Lowell; May-31-09 at 10:09 AM.

For being 1/2 your age, I know how to play tag the old kind that is, AND it has been a good week here too so Go WINGS and don't get hurt playing tag.

Thank you Tp for starting my Friday off with a smile

Go Attachment 1312
    Last edited by eriedearie; December-24-09 at 02:18 PM.

Not it! ......

Yep, both Wings and Tigers currently on a roll; it makes for a delightful week.

Well, Tp, Tag is one thing, but Kick the Can was another. I'm sure you're well aware that Kick the Can is a much more sophisticated game than Tag. Even the matter of what can to use was often a topic of discussion. Was a small Campbell's Soup can more difficult to kick than a Maxwell House coffee can? Of course it was. What a pity we didn't have those small V-8 juice cans back then.

Reddog289, we always got hurt playing tag or K the C. But just scrapes and bruises, rarely anything of consequence.

Ray:
    "Kick the Kan?"
    We would use those large "tomato juice" cans, with 2 punctures in the lid,,,,and fill them with sand. It took a wierd kind of courage to come sprinting in and kicking it, leading with your toes. We didn't know nuthin' 'bout that "sissy soccer kicking" with the side of your foot. Better to have stubby toes than a 'falling arch!'
    We drew a 12 foot diameter around the can and you had to kick it out of that circle or else you were given "free penalty shots" for as many times as it took to get it out of the circle.
    Then, one day, some smart ass kicked the can with the sole of his foot and made the can roll out of the circle. Kill joy!
    Never again did we play that game, being deprived of the screams of pain from those not quite adept in that "foot art.!"

Before I leave, does anybody remember the Garbage men leaving Playboys in the alley During lunch? My house in Oak Park was such a place. Many perfectly R rated girls went through that alley. That was a hot spot for nature pics.

I really must be slipping. I forgot how to play KICK the Can.
    Ray, can't remember if I ever got hurt playing TAG, KoC,. But got me a few bloody noses playing DUCK, DUCK, GOOSE.

We used coffee cans filled with water when playing kick the can, until Dave F's mom got mad when he came home wet one November afternoon. She had no sense of humor, and would also object if we stepped on her manicured lawn.
    Poor Dave. He later joined the Marines, to prove himself, then passed away in an automobile accident a few years later.
    tponetom & ray1936: Was it "trick or treat" or "help the poor" in your neighborhood on Halloween? We yelled "help the poor", which I believe was an East Side tradition.

Bobi:

It was always, "Help the poor"! There was honesty and sincerity in that mutual chant. When we got our "beggin" bags home, the first thing we looked for were 'pennies.' There were a heck of a lot of apples because they were in season and cheap. A 'nickel' candy bar was never eaten until you showed it to all of your pals. Otherwise, they would never believe you had one.

In my original post, I forgot to mention that I think my gang was the first, and probably the only kids , to invent and play the game that we called, KICK THE BRICK! To this very day I carry proof positive of my participation in that game. The three center toes on my right foot are bent so badly, they look like circles.

Yeah, it was "help the poor" on the west side, too. Funny thing is we were but I didn't know it.

Devil's night was ringing doorbells and maybe running down an alley knocking over trash cans. Had I realized what an embronyic nightmare we laid the groundwork for, I'd of stopped at once.

Yeah, pennies were great in the sack, and there was one neighbor on Appoline who gave nickles. I still know where that house is. Maybe I should go there next October...........

Ray:
    Poverty was the commonality that bound us kids together, and it was that bonding that gave us the attitude that we had the world by the tail.

What on earth is a dime or a dollar or a million, compared to having a friend, whether you are a kid,,,or an old person.

I should tell you the story about a game called, "Three Cracks." It would demand some delicate phraseology so as not to offend anyone. No it is not obscene. It is just that the 'loser ' of the game has to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ah, maybe another time.

Some things are better left unsaid, Tp.