Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default West Grand River & Lafayette [[I-75 service drive) Can anyone tell me about the area?

Hello fellow Detroit enthusiasts! I am continuing my search for the perfect [[or at least amazing cool) Detroit residence. My home here in South Carolina is now offically on the market [[as of June 7th.) I have focused my search on the East English Village neighborhood...which for many reasons, I believe will be the best fit.
    However...the one detraction of that neighborhood is its distance to downtown [[certainly not walkable...and not easily bikeable.) I have been looking at the Corktown and Woodbridge neighborhoods recently, but their entry-level price points are at the upper end of my budgetary "comfort zone."

Recently, I came across a property at the very eastern edge of Hubbard Farms [[right on West grand Blvd.) that has the walkability and bikeability to downtown that is important to me, combined with an EEV price point. The home itself is beautiful. It sits on West Grand Blvd about a block from Lafayette [[I-75 sevice drive) across from the Delray Senior housing.

When I showed my girlfriend the pictures of the house, she kinda freaked out. The home has steel doors front & back. It also has what appears to be a 6' - 8' cyclone fence in front as well as bars over all the rear 1st story windows. Now, she was born and has spent her entire life in a medium size town in South Carolina...so her reaction wasn't totally unexpected. But...
    we also haven't seen anywhere near these security features on any other property we have looked at in EEV, Corktown or Woodbridge either!

She reminds me frequently that she is excited and hopeful about moving to Detroit...but dosen't want to get killed in the process...she is kidding...I think.
    To satisfy both of our curiositys, can anyone living in or near that area [[or who otherwise might be familiar with it) comment specifically on the crime situation there? All the security measures have us both a little spooked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Paul & Shannon

I don't think it is in your best interest to disregard your girl's instinct. In other words:

"Happy wife, happy life."

Moreover, if you can't afford to move to Corktown you might want to stay closer to home.

If you can, I would start out in an apartment downtown or midtown..that's what I did.
    There are very affordable places to rent. Then once you get the feel for the city, move into a home in a good neighborhood. There are a lot of nice affordable homes in very good neighborhoods. Personally, we are looking at IV, Woodbridge, Boston Edison [[though it is on the downward spiral, still brilliant architecture), Corktown, and even condo living downtown....on the outskirts of town, Rosedale Park is a great neighborhood too.

I second Planner. Rent first in one of the denser or more central neighborhoods: Midtown/Downtown/Woodbirdge/Corktown and then take your time looking for a home as you get a feel for the different areas. Detroit can change dramatically block by block, even in the really good neighborhoods.

Rent first, so you get a feel for the city. Don't just buy before you know the town.

And listen to your wife.

BTW, that area around Clark Park has a rough reputation. I have no idea if it's warranted, but there is extensive late night "activity", especially on the western end of the park.

Another vote for rent first, learn, then make a truly educated choice. There's no "now or never" urgency in Detroit real estate.

I know a few people living in that Grand Blvd/Lafayette area and it isn't as bad a problem as painted. I don't know if the "armor guard" doors are really that necessary. The area
    is full of beautiful older homes, it was once the outskirts of Detroit. Now it is in
    Mexican town and full of vibrancy. Clark Park is a beautiful City park, hosts hockey games,
    lots of activities for children. Tons of restaurants in the area and of course you are
    near to Corktown.

Always rent in a new place before you try to buy a home. You learn so much about your needs, wants, and what is available in that time. If you rent smartly, you also save some money.

There are a number of places that offer month to month leases. There are probably other landlords that will sign a lease for a variable term with 2 months notice.

Well, if you're going to get around in this town, you should first get the distinction between Grand "River" and Grand "Blvd", aka the Boulevard. What drew me to your post was the incongruity of the intersection in the headline; Grand "River" and Lafayette do not cross. Now, on to your question... The fact of urban life is that homes do get broken into, even in Corktown, EEV and Rosedale Park. Overall, Hubbard Farms is probably a notch or two below the aforementioned neighborhoods for security, but many people do feel quite comfortable there, too. However, I'm not sure it's very walkable to downtown. At about 2 1/2 miles, it's not too far away, but you'll go through a few seedy and intimidating areas along the way.

May I suggest an alternative. As Bham says, rent before you buy. Take a look at some of the downtown high rises: Washington Square, Millender Center, Lafayette Towers, the Kales, etc. Get a room with a view, enjoy downtown living for a year where walkability is a real joy, and use the time of your first lease to work out a longer plan. Maybe, like me, you'll stick around.

BTW, I should add that in the buildings I suggest above, break-ins are a rarity. That should give your southern gal a little more peace of mind.
    Last edited by downtownguy; June-17-11 at 12:24 PM.

Why are you moving here?

State of mind has a lot to do with relocating also,you cannot move and expect everything to be like where you came from and compare it to.

downtownguy - "Well, if you're going to get around in this town, you should first get the distinction between Grand "River" and Grand "Blvd", aka the Boulevard."
    Point well taken.

Carey - "Why are you moving here?"
    I was born and have spent most of my life in the metropolitan Detroit area. I left the state in 2002 seeking a new and different experience [[culture.) I was fortunate to find exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, after immersing myself in southern culture/way of life, I can't leave quick enough.
    I feel especially strong about two things, I want to live in a large urban area and I want that city to be north of the Mason - Dixon line...Detroit fits both bills. I believe Detroit needs people with a passion for the city [[read: people who are inspired to make a difference in their community) and I need a city to live in...I think were a match!

Thank-you to all who have taken the time to respond to my request for information! It is MUCH APPRECIATED [[and incredibly useful) as I continue this process of finding my way home.

Paul

I was kind of confused when I saw West Grand River and Lafayette [[I-75 Service Drive) then thought to myself those two streets don't even intersect. One of the first things you'll want to know is that there is a big difference between Grand River Avenue and W/E Grand Blvd. Grand River is one of the main spoke streets in the city of Detroit and heads towards Lansing and Grand Rapids. Grand Blvd is a city street that was the boundary of the old Detroit city limits before Detroit annexed the land going out to 8 Mile in the 1910's and 20's.

I don't know if I would consider this a good walking distance to downtown as downtown is about two miles away and you have to walk in the Ambassador Bridge area. The area around there isn't bad but there is a lot of traffic in that area, it mostly has older homes. I would get an apartment downtown if being close to downtown is what's important to you, you'll probably end up paying close to the same as you would anywhere in Midtown or Corktown.

I didn't see that the difference between Grand Blvd and Grand River had already been discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulieG63 View Post
    [INDENT]Carey - "Why are you moving here?"
    I was born and have spent most of my life in the metropolitan Detroit area. I left the state in 2002 seeking a new and different experience [[culture.) I was fortunate to find exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, after immersing myself in southern culture/way of life, I can't leave quick enough.
    I feel especially strong about two things, I want to live in a large urban area and I want that city to be north of the Mason - Dixon line...Detroit fits both bills. I believe Detroit needs people with a passion for the city [[read: people who are inspired to make a difference in their community) and I need a city to live in...I think were a match!
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    - T.S. Eliot

Welcome home.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    - T.S. Eliot

Welcome home.
    After living in AZ for 6 years, I am finally coming home to MI. I have to put this quote somewhere in my house. Thanks Lowell!!

Totally with ya Downrivergal...

Thanks Lowell!!

I'd like to throw out some more love for that neighborhood. Great restaurants and present retail make it a convenient place to be. There are some newcomer friendly rentals right there as well, at a cheaper rate than the typical Midtown/Woodbridge/Downtown areas that are recommended. Like most of Detroit, so long as you avoid narcotics you will probably not experience any violent crime.

You will probably want to get a club or other locking device if you have an older big three car though. If you can't find a reasonably priced one PM me and I'll pick up up to two for you from Wayne State Police. They have them for $11/club.

That area is also totally great for cyclists if you don't want to have/can't have a car.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulieG63 View Post
    Hello fellow Detroit enthusiasts! I am continuing my search for the perfect [[or at least amazing cool) Detroit residence. My home here in South Carolina is now offically on the market [[as of June 7th.) I have focused my search on the East English Village neighborhood...which for many reasons, I believe will be the best fit.
    However...the one detraction of that neighborhood is its distance to downtown [[certainly not walkable...and not easily bikeable.) I have been looking at the Corktown and Woodbridge neighborhoods recently, but their entry-level price points are at the upper end of my budgetary "comfort zone."

Recently, I came across a property at the very eastern edge of Hubbard Farms [[right on West grand Blvd.) that has the walkability and bikeability to downtown that is important to me, combined with an EEV price point. The home itself is beautiful. It sits on West Grand Blvd about a block from Lafayette [[I-75 sevice drive) across from the Delray Senior housing.

When I showed my girlfriend the pictures of the house, she kinda freaked out. The home has steel doors front & back. It also has what appears to be a 6' - 8' cyclone fence in front as well as bars over all the rear 1st story windows. Now, she was born and has spent her entire life in a medium size town in South Carolina...so her reaction wasn't totally unexpected. But...
    we also haven't seen anywhere near these security features on any other property we have looked at in EEV, Corktown or Woodbridge either!

She reminds me frequently that she is excited and hopeful about moving to Detroit...but dosen't want to get killed in the process...she is kidding...I think.
    To satisfy both of our curiositys, can anyone living in or near that area [[or who otherwise might be familiar with it) comment specifically on the crime situation there? All the security measures have us both a little spooked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Paul & Shannon
    If you want happy talk you're not going to get it from me. My brother lives right on Hubbard a block or two south of West Vernor. There is some nice housing in that part of town, older well built brich houses. The area is rough though, police response is very slow to non existent.

My brother does not feel comfortable talking a walk down the street after dark, he has been robbed at gunpoint once. His house has been broken into. It's now a virtual fortress, as long as he doesn't forget to lock something.

He lives [[if you call that style of life living) with steel bar gates, guard dogs and guns. It's not my first choice of an area to raise a family in.

Paul, I would also rent first. If you contact 1300 Lafayette East you may be able to rent a unit for 1 year only. You must have great credit and a back ground check must turn out good. I live there and we are very strict about who we let move in. I used to live in the Morning Side area which is right next to EEV. I loved it there but its not the urban setting you are looking for. No matter where you move make sure you have secure parking. If you want more info on 1300 let me know.

Mike, is 1300 Lafayette "East" the co-op?

That building has some great deals going right now [[on the for sale units.) However, the fees associated with the co-op always seemed exobitant. Any insight on those fees and what they include would be much appreciated!

The "...great credit and a background check must turn out good." is not a problem.

Paul

Mike, do you know how many of the co-op units in 1300 are available for rental?

Paul, the association fees in 1300 are about comparable with rent in other good quality apartment buildings downtown. That's rather high compared to other co-ops and it tends to keep the sale prices of the units rather low. However, you are also located in a well-managed building overseen by an active and engaged board of directors. The fees cover the costs of mortgage amortization, property taxes and all the amenities [[24 hour security, doorman, exercise room on site, outdoor swimming pools, basic cable and for an extra charge, secured parking). Also, the building tends to have lower turnover than average.