Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Some real Packard delight. A Packard reborn!!

Fifty years ago this chap created his own time capsule by welding this car inside an obselete stoarage tank. This year he thought it was time to unpack this present. And boy! What a present to give to yourself!!!

Six months ago, Jerry Brummett used a tractor and a torch to open a big, heavy present he bought himself nearly 50 years ago.
    Now, the 71-year-old Springfield Township resident and classic-car enthusiast is happily restoring his very rare, very beautiful piece of local and automotive history: a 1940 Packard Super 8 Formal Sedan, one of fewer than 250 ever made, that family members said was originally owned by Frank Duane Stranahan, one of the founders of Champion Spark Plug Co.
    Once it is fully restored, the Packard -- which Mr. Brummett said he bought from an area farmer more than five decades ago for $350 and once used to transport the motorcycles he used to race -- will be just the 15th copy known to exist and probably will be valued at nearly $50,000.

Once fully restored it will look like this!!

A hell of a lot more worth than $50,000 I think!!

Read the full article.

Edit: I had some issues with internet explorer. Thing works fine in Firefox as well.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; June-16-11 at 03:18 PM.

Sweet

The story reminds me of a couple of American Pickers episodes where they show cars that have been put in basements or storage decades ago.

My uncle worked for Ford in Minneapolis in 1955 they took away the employee discount so he bought a brand new 1955 Caddy in spite to go to work in,then in 1956 Ford reinstated the discount so he parked the caddy in the garage and it was still there 3 years ago when I went up for his funeral. Then there was the Shelby cobra jet 429 mustang but that is another story

Do tell, Richard, do tell!

Stromberg2

Strom,

Holy shit, in my head, I HEARD you say that and saw your enthusiasm...LOL...carried over from our discussion with A150driver at the picnic, of course!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Do tell, Richard, do tell!

Stromberg2
    LOL you guys crack me up .

Okay first of all I was raised in a true blue chevy family,uncle was ford all the way ,but my father used to race flat head chevy, my 1 st 1/4 mile was at age 8 and I was shaking like a leaf going down that track max speed probably 20 mph but it felt like 200 mph anyways.

Flash forward into early 70s and the CB craze and I was talking to a girl on the CB back and forth for about a month before I found out she lived in a sub division 1/2 mile away ,so it was on my bike and visiting. The subdivision was kinda like a lot of truckers lived there and kinda looked out for each other while they were on long hauls.

So I am visiting this girl and she needs to go feed a neighbors cat as the husband had a heart attack and passed but his wife still went over the road trucking ,so she opens the garage door and uggggg its a Ford, being a chevy guy I really had no interest at first but then I see this chrome snake emblem then I see the 429 part which brings out the speed aspect in me over powering the hated Ford part ,it was 1969 green and dusty and had less then 1000 miles on it ,opened the hood and it was all motor. I would never admit it at the time but I was impressed. The husband ordered it drove it passed and it was parked there. I had contact with her again in 1996 and it was still there but when I went up there for my mothers funeral in 2000 I could not seem to find the house or garage or even find the girl.

My father was Pres of the street rod and classic car as, and was a judge at events and I had him looking out for it over the years but it never surfaced who knows it may still be there.

On a unrelated if your a Ford fan up until a few years ago my friend had a in the crate ready to drop in all aluminum Ford factory race 289 that was given to him by the Clewiston Fl race track years ago in exchange for some welding. Smokey and the Bandit jump scene's were shot there.

Now English is not my first language, but I think most of you over there don't understand that last part of the post above.

I think you're going to like this site.

Wow, that's a cool page, Whitehouse! It's always been a little dream of mine to find a 50's Porsche 356 in a barn....or anywhere for that matter. Says the farmer "I'll sell it to you for $300.00". Oh to dream...

Stromberg2

Gosh! You find the most amazing stories when you google on "Barn find" and the brand of your choice. Here's another Packard barn find. In fact, FIVE AT ONCE!

Even Google streetview can sometimes make your mouth water!
    Last edited by Whitehouse; June-19-11 at 12:39 PM.