Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hypocrisy Lives in Texas

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison [[R, TX) now realizes that the Big 3 REALLY do affect jobs nationwide. Maybe she didn't believe us before? Maybe she was too dumb to think about the dealerships she passes everyday?

Aaah, the hypocrisy is so refreshing. Dumb-ass Rethuglicans. The radical right is going to be the death of this country yet. But, then again, the GOP has the dynamic dual leadership of Rush & Tricky Dick, so the likelihood of them regaining a majority anytime soon becomes less and less realistic.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009052...ealer+closings

Its not so much as being a republican, its more like all politics are local. Some of the biggest supporters in congress for current auto issues are republican, think McCotter.

All folks care about is what their consituency thinks.

lilpup Guest

Maybe all the Congresscritters will get a clue and start rethinking foreign trade issues soon.

cheddar bob Guest

Hypocrisy Lives in Texas
    I know. He moved to Crawford in early 2005.

Yep.....

That'll teach those damn domestic automakers.....

BUY JAPANESE!

It lives in Alabama as well, remember Senator Shelby crying about the possible loss of a GM plant in his state recently.

Lorax Guest

7Miledog, Rethuglicans? LOL!!!

I've been using Repugnicans- I like your's better.

A man after my own heart!

Lorax Guest

Yeah, Shellboy, Porker, & Butchinson all KoolAid drinking fascists.

They work for the Japanese government anyway, and preside over an electorate of sadly misguided, gaptoothed troglodytes, who will continue to believe the values voters vomit spewed their way by the Australian owned Murdoch press.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Yeah, Shellboy, Porker, & Butchinson all KoolAid drinking fascists.

They work for the Japanese government anyway, and preside over an electorate of sadly misguided, gaptoothed troglodytes, who will continue to believe the values voters vomit spewed their way by the Australian owned Murdoch press.
    Uh, not all of us down here voted for Hutchison & I'm far from being a gap toothed Troglodyte; I have to admit to being called a Neanderthal on occasion.
    On the old forum I implored people up there to inundate all these pols with emails & phone calls. I also posted the reply emails I received from both Hutchison & Cornyn spouting the company line.

Damn, I came here thinkin' it was a Kwame thread. When my first ancestors blew thru the D, the industry, if i was ovens. Nobody screamed & yelled this loudly when Detroit stole the auto industry from Indiana...nor did they care when those "orphan" nameplates in Hoosierland tried to make a comeback by filling the void in the late 1940's when there were NO new models. Many of the problems of the Big 3 were CAUSED by the dealerships...this was spelled out by my friends & family in the D & most intriguingly, by Pete Ellis, a 3rd Generation Dodge dealer out here who was the 1st guy to bail & hit the Internet in 1999...

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P3-45879570.html
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=36084

lilpup Guest

Well, all the problematic Chrysler dealerships and bondholders have already been shed and, according to reports, GM's will be taken care of starting as early as next week.

Damocraps, evil, ugly, kinda slow ya know and unattractive....

A friend of mine said that.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    Nobody screamed & yelled this loudly when Detroit stole the auto industry from Indiana...nor did they care when those "orphan" nameplates in Hoosierland tried to make a comeback by filling the void in the late 1940's when there were NO new models.
    That was just the free, capitalist market at work.

Allpar posted a summary this morning.
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...r-dealer-cuts/

Texas Senator drops effort to block Chrysler funding over dealer cuts

May 22nd, 2009 by Bill Cawthon
    Republican Kay Bailey Hutchison, the senior Senator from Texas, has ended her opposition to federal funding for Chrysler because of the way it handled 789 dealer terminations.
    Hutchison had proposed an amendment that would have blocked the automaker’s lifeline unless it gave dealers 60 days’ notice of the revocation of their franchise. Chrysler were given just a couple of weeks to unload inventories of parts, tools and unsold vehicles. The amendment would have held up action on a key spending bill Congress wants to pass before the Memorial Day holiday. Hutchison’s amendment also would have applied to General Motors.
    The Senator said her decision to drop the amendment came after she and Michigan Senator Debbie Stabenow received assurances from Chrysler President Jim Press that the company plans to do as much as it can to help the dealers get what he called “fair and equitable value for virtually all cars and parts.†Press also said assistance to the dealers would continue after June 9. Chrysler currently has 200 representatives working to move inventory between dealers.

Lorax Guest

MoparDan, sorry, had no idea you lived in Texas.

I happen to like your posts, and we share the same love of Mopar pig iron.

I gladly recind the gap-toothed trog bit!

That was quick.
    First post got knocked out of the ballpark by the second post.
    It should have ended there.

MoparDan, sorry, had no idea you lived in Texas.

I happen to like your posts, and we share the same love of Mopar pig iron.

I gladly recind the gap-toothed trog bit!
    LOL No problem! Although we do have a few people fitting that description running around the state.
    Jump to the Non-Detroit side for the post I just added to "Latest Chrysler News". The editor for AllPar speaks his mind pretty good I have to say.

My son was Senate Page last year for Kay Bailey Hutchinson. While we prefer Democrats nationally, KBH is a reasonable and moderate person. Politics is local and KBH would rather be Texas Governor anyway. What do Michigan politicians do for Texas? The Big Three Auto companies put themselves in this position by building lower quality gas guzzlers for decades. I hate GW Bush more than any of you and had a 6 x 8 "LICK BUSH in 2004" in front of my house office - no not in liberal Detroit but in a Texas neighborhood that went 90% for Bush. Detroit has largely created its own problems - corruption - high taxes and the Big Three- don't look for us to blame.

lilpup Guest

Great - y'all voted against loans for the Big 3, so why are you whining now about dealerships closing? Maybe you should have listened when we tried to tell you how far reaching the US auto industry is, instead of insulting us and blowing us off. Shit, Chrysler only closed a quarter of their dealerships - what if they had totally gone under, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Great - y'all voted against loans for the Big 3, so why are you whining now about dealerships closing? Maybe you should have listened when we tried to tell you how far reaching the US auto industry is, instead of insulting us and blowing us off.
    Exactly the point I was making. KBH was too shortsighted to realize that supporting the Big 3 IS looking out for the "locals," as in the "all politics is local," locals. It is hypocritical to oppose something until it affects you, then all of a sudden you support it. Coming from one of the radical right, who espouse their "principles" ad nauseum, sometimes you have to do what is right for the country, even if it is NOT popular with your constituents. That is the essence of leadership.

Hence, the "second post['s]" statement, while completely true, did not "knock the first post out of the ballpark." It merely captured how ineffective KBH's leadership was on this issue, hence, how hypocritical she is.

Ocean, while not a fan of Kay, her office has responded to every phone call, letter & email of mine. I'll have to track down the response she sent me in regards to the Chrysler/GM situation. What really pissed me off was the line "American companies have to learn how to compete". I immediately replied that our auto industry has to compete against the foreign makes, foreign governments & our own government. The next reply was slightly different from the first, but basically reinforced her thoughts on the first. She should have no problem wiping out Perry in the GOP primaries next yr. The more I think about it, the more he reminds me of "Hedley Lamarr" from the movie Blazing Saddles as he is becoming more desperate to hang onto power; the next thing you know he'll spout off recruiting an army consisting of: "rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperadoes, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, half-wits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswagglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass kickers, shit kickers and Methodists"

7MileDog, my post from AllPar wasn't meant to override your original post. It was just something I added since they put it up on their site this morning. Anything that can help the industry's cause certainly can't hurt.
    Last edited by MoparDan; May-22-09 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparDan View Post
    7MileDog, my post from AllPar wasn't meant to override your original post. It was just something I added since they put it up on their site this morning. Anything that can help the industry's cause certainly can't hurt.
    Mopar, I was responding to rjk's statement referencing DetroitPlanner's first post [[which I agree with completely). We are on the same side on this.

It just really pisses me off how so many Congress-people/Senators were shitting on the Big 3, but now THEIR constituents will be out of work, so we have dictate to them HOW to be competitive [[i.e. giving 60 days notice prior to the closure of a dealer)?!? WTF?!? If Chrysler can be more competitive by closing ALL of the dealerships in the districts of EVERY Congressperson/Senator who voted against the bailout, then that's what needs to be done. They're just being "competitive." Maybe YOUR constituents need to be more "competitive" and get some skills so they won't be out of a job when the dealership closes! [[See how the "competitive" argument that the Rs are so fond of can be used in every instance when someone is down on their luck?)

Exhaling now...........

Mopar -I'm not a "fan" of her either although she did treat my 16 yr old well in Washington. She also selected him over thousands of qualified Texans although it was obvious my son was a liberal Democrat [[I'm pretty independent). KBH is not the reason Detroit is suffering- people always [[ especially the criminals I've prosecuted and defended over the years) always have to look for someone else to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean2026 View Post
    Mopar -I'm not a "fan" of her either although she did treat my 16 yr old well in Washington. She also selected him over thousands of qualified Texans although it was obvious my son was a liberal Democrat [[I'm pretty independent). KBH is not the reason Detroit is suffering- people always [[ especially the criminals I've prosecuted and defended over the years) always have to look for someone else to blame.
    Ocean, I realize that much of the Chrysler/GM situation is self-inflicted. My point was that her replies to me were pretty much the GOP line. Now she has suddenly changed her tune. Funny, because in my emails to her & Cornyn, I emphasized how dealers could potentially shutdown & thereby having a negative effect on the communities in which they are established. Trust me, I'm no economist or business genius, but much of the fallout could be seen by a blind man. I realize it's a staffer that reads & replies to correspondence...I worked in the Texas Legislature for two sessions & was amazed/appalled/disgusted by what I witnessed. I'm glad your son's experience was a positive one. I usually want to believe Kay is more a pragmatist than adhering to ideology, but this has soured me towards her. I may cross over to the GOP primary to vote for her[[against Perry in reality), but I'll do it grudgingly.

7Miledog, Rethuglicans? LOL!!!

I've been using Repugnicans- I like your's better.

A man after my own heart!

I like Reboobigans myself

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast